iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
Junge
u havin a giggle m8

Default [Company] Suspectsister

Bodies ran to and fro from tent to tent and ward to ward. The medical professionals who serviced much of the refugee camp moved the quickest. After them followed the unaffiliated helpers. Those who did not stir were the ill, the feeble, and the dying. That final group made up the bulk of the settlement.

As if the unpaid staff did not have enough on their hands, the rainy season of Ame no Kuni had begun in earnest. Today the storm pounded down with a special ferocity. Several of the tents had already collapsed. There weren’t enough hands to go around.

But blessed news had arrived that morning!

A group of miko claiming to represent the Hontou no Itami Shrine Maidens swept in like a fresh breeze. Already the small group had been making the rounds with the medics. Rumors flew around the camp that one or more of the famous Sisters would be paying a visit as well. While those in power looked to the shrine maidens in suspicion, those at rock bottom saw only hope.

“You need to let them work, sir.”
A muddy but stiff armed guard held his staff at chest level, preventing one of the medics from entering a tent. “I’m assuring you, their powers are real.”

A skeletal looking doctor adjusted his glasses and scowled. His assistant held an umbrella over him while he rifled through his clipboard. “Yes, certainly. Why trust centuries of medical science when some pretty women can do magic tricks?”

His rain-soaked assistant struggled to keep the umbrella from collapsing under the deluge. “Actually two of them are male, sir.”

“Feh!”
The doctor turned away from the guard and looked back at the rest of the camp. Small torrents of water surged all around the settlement. Flooding forced the abandoning of some tents. The dampness had caused an outbreak of fungal infections, and to top it off a recent Militia/Shinobi incursion had filled the camp with wounded civilians. Miko or not, today was off to a rough start.

Last edited by Junge; 07-03-2018 at 06:32 PM..
Old 07-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #2
Cayuga
Hardcore Member

The mission previously had failed and Sero had paid the price. His life was different now and he was not like he used to be. What once had fleshy arms, now had mechanical and sturdy robotic arms. They were a replacement that Sero would find beneficial but they seemed far from what he had hoped for. Of course, he felt no more pain within his arms, and of course he was able to still use jutsu, but there were things he had lost. He could never understand the feeling of his icy jutsu, the feeling of skin on skin when embracing a hand, and he also could not tell what was hot or cold depending on the situation.

Another thing that bothered Sero was the man standing next to him, he spoke only slightly to introduce himself as Sero’s babysitter, but that was about all he was. He seemed strong, but he seemed diligent and refined. The Company had hired this “babysitter” because of the fail that befell him previously. However, his trip to the HR office was not something he would ever forget. Even thinking about the smile of that man made Sero cringe and develop a pit in his stomach.

The two men stood in the swamps of Rain Country and they were on their way to a destination with some Shrine Maidens. He was to figure out their intentions and he wasn’t too sure how he would do such a thing. There were operatives of the Company all over and reports of the maidens being within a medic camp traveled quickly to the two men.

”How do you propose we do this?” Sero stated to the stern looking man.

”To be honest, I don’t care. I am only here to make sure you don’t fuck up. And remember if you do, this will be the last time you cross the Company. We don’t have some type of three strike rule here.”
Old 07-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
Junge
u havin a giggle m8

Another thirteen injured men, women, and children fell off the back of a wagon as the wheel broke off in the mud. Their bodies tumbled around grotesquely as the few medics struggled to pull them into the drier wards.

“-we need more-“

“-get the-“

“-my leg!”

“Good lord.”
The chief surgeon grabbed two handfuls of hair as the mess unfolded. “What the hell happened here? Where are those miko, aren’t they supposed to be helping us?”

”Landslide, sir. I mean, ma’am” The assistant appeared from behind a tent flap with a very soggy scroll. ”What should we about the bodies of the-“

“Who cares about the dead!” The surgeon snatched the scroll from the assistant’s hands and pointed him towards the crowd of wounded patients. “Stop dilly-dallying and get to work saving the ones still alive!”

With a ”R-right away sir! I mean, ma’am!” the assistant bumbled off.

Thunder roared overhead and a gust of wind caught another tent. Several fleeing attendants escaped just before it collapsed into the muddy soil. A cry came out from behind the surgeon. “That wasn’t the drug tent, was it?”

An exasperated, profanity laced curse exited the her mouth. It’d take them forever to dig the anesthesia out of there! How was she supposed to perform surgery on awake patients? The assistant came back, somehow managing to get himself covered in both mud and blood in the few minutes he’d disappeared. "There’s a child in critical condition, si-ma’am! You need to come right now!”

Minutes later the surgeon stood over the body of a broken girl. Streaks of tears cut through the dirt and grime on her face. One of her arms so mangled it looked more like a frayed piece of yarn than a limb.

“No choice.”
She felt a lump in the pit of her stomach. “We need to amputate.”

”With no-“

“Yes!”
She barked. “Unless you want to get me a body bag instead!”

A booming baritone voice shook out over the sound of the downpour outside. “Stay put, Good Doctor!” One of the flaps opened up and the chief surgeon spun around, furious. “This is a sterile operating theater! Please wait outside-“

A mountain of a man along with several oddly dressed followers flooded the room. His face was weathered and leathery, a clear sign of his age despite his massive physique. He wore the long, pristine robes of a priest, along with a kanji symbol indicating who he worked for. “When the helpless pray,” his voice rumbled, “The Kami will answer.”

Last edited by Junge; 10-07-2018 at 08:57 PM..
Old 07-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #4
Cayuga
Hardcore Member

The pain was horrible, the piercing of the blade into the abdomen of the yuki nin made everything thing in the world spin. The fear of death made him worry that he was just so lowly coward that had found no place in the world. Ever since the destruction of his village, Sero has felt like he has had nowhere to go and to be honest he would have been ok with dying. However, there was something he had to do before he completed that request. He needed to make sure that he was creating a new village within the snowy confines of the Snow Country. That is why he allowed the man following him to stab him. It was a no lethal shot and it was apparent that he would live with minor treatment for infection.

”Alright, my turn.” Sero stated as an ice seemingly came out of nowhere and stabbed the other man in the same spot.

Sero had a real desire to kill the man but he worried that someone else was also watching the mission from afar to make sure everything went smoothly and if the man didn’t show back up for work, that it was not because of Sero.

As the caravan arrived into the makeshift camp Sero got a good look at what he would have to accomplish. There was a lot of problems going on, whether it was the non sterile environment, the lack of staff, or the abundance of injured; Sero felt like he would be lost in the commotion.

The tent where he was set to rest was small, unappealing, dreary, and disgusting. The swampy outside seemed to seep into the walls of the tent and Sero thought it a better idea to start poking around. Then a man that seemed a lot different walked through the camp. His pristine white clothing and religious attire made him an obvious candidate for one of the targets. Sero stood from his place and began to follow the man.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
Junge
u havin a giggle m8

Forty-six minutes later the staff wheeled the young girl out of the operating room, with both arms intact. Cold sweat completely soaked the chief surgeon, as if she’d been standing out in the downpour rather than in the tent. A strong palm rest on her shoulder, accompanied by the grave voice of Cardinal Yoemon. ”Excellent work, Good Doctor. We will return later. May the spirits keep watch over you.” As quick as the man arrived, he was out the door.

For a few moments the surgeon just looked down at the operating table in confusion. The last nerve wracking half hour tested every bit of skill and expertise she possessed. Yet without that man and his power…

Just what was that power?

-

The infirmary overflowed with crying, wailing, and moaning. Lung Rot, they called it in these parts. The medics knew a bit better and could identify it as a species of black mold. An unexplained outbreak now affected dozens, but at least treatment was easy. A few pills, some bed rest, and lots of fluids and everyone would be as right as rain. Normal rain, anyway.

There was only one, tiny, almost too small to care about detail. The assistant had to sputter out his words a second time as the infirmary nurse shook him by the collar again. ”S-s-s-s-sir, p-p-p-please s-s-s-top-“

“What do you mean, we ran out of water?”
The nurse screamed in genuine fury. “It’s raining! It’s FUCKING raining!”

“T-t-the c-c-c-clean s-s-saline s-s-s-solution t-t-takes t-t-time t-t-to p-pre-p-p-pre-p-p-“

“AGH!”
He dropped the assistant and started pacing again. It was true. The patients needed fluids, potable fluids. Isotonic, in medical parlance. Rain wouldn’t work.

Right about then Cardinal Yoemon stepped in. Rain dripped from his stoic face. His solemn voice called out. ”Neighbors, please conserve your strength. The Hontou no Itami Shrine has brought relief.” From behind the man came his entourage, each handling large gourds filled to the brim with some kind of warm soup. The nurse freaked out.

“You can’t just give them that, we need to test it!”

”Be calm, my friend.” The Cardinal regarded the man with a cool eye. ”This food has been purified by our rituals. I assure you, we will cause no harm.”

Other patients began to filter in from outside, each holding a bowl. The Cardinal grabbed his own gourd, and began to fill them one at a time. Since the priest easily outsized the nurse, he let it go.

Slowly, the infirmary grew quieter.

Last edited by Junge; 07-07-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Old 07-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
Cayuga
Hardcore Member

Sero was amazed at what was happening around him and he was even more so amazed that there was not a lot of proof that this man was some type of god. Sero was worried that he might have gotten too far deep into the whole situation and he was wondering if he really wanted to do something to get the party started. However, as he looked on he went back into a quiet area of the camp and began to summon a spider. Though small in size compared to anything he could muster, it was the perfect size for what he wanted to accomplish. This spider would be used for recon of the camp. If Sero could find the other miko or even follow and trail the man what had made himself known it would be a success.

Sero only had the job to make sure he figured out what side the Miko would be on and that would be what he would do. He didn't want to lose anything else today.

As he entered the area where many congregated Sero began to feel some type of presence that would not otherwise be noticed. There was something to the man that Sero could not quite get his mind around and as he continued closer to the man, his presence began to fill the room even more so. He seemed strong but gentle, kind but stern, and most of all dangerous but hospitable. Sero would come up to the man and ask for the water but more so he would go to ask for the mans aid.

"Sir, I need help, this wound is a lot and my body wont be able to starve off the infection that might come of me if it is not healed properly and right away." Sero stated playing almost possum to the idea of letting this man get close.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #7
Junge
u havin a giggle m8

The Cardinal regarded the newcomer with a hard expression. His eyes only momentarily flicked towards the man’s wound. He placed a strong hand on the man’s shoulder and leaned down, his words spoken in a powerful but hushed whisper.

“You appear to me to be strong enough to bear this hardship, Soldier.” His head nearly hitting the top of the infirmary tent as he stood up straight and tall. He pointed to one of his busy subordinates. “Come, take my share.” After passing his gourd off, he looked back at the wounded man and beckoned. ”I will return after tending to this man’s wounds. May the Kami watch over you.”

“And also with you”,
repeated his followers. With a nod Cardinal Yoemon disappeared out into the rain. In the hustle and bustle of the food distribution few if any cared about Sero. Everyone was looking out for themselves. Even the nurse was now frantically trying to find enough places for everyone to sit. In the chaos the assistant got a good look at the wounded Sero and turned pale as a ghost, quickly going to his clipboard to write something down. Then he disappeared in the mass of bodies.

Somehow, despite the crowded nature of the refugee camp, the priest managed to find an isolated tent to enter. Large sacks of what looked to be garbage sat within, and the gentle drip drip of multiple leaks made it clear why nobody was rushing to stand inside. ”Sit here.” He gestured to a wobbly looking stool. ”And tell me from whence this wound came.”

Last edited by Junge; 07-08-2018 at 02:08 PM..
Old 07-08-2018, 06:48 AM   #8
Cayuga
Hardcore Member

Sero followed the man as the rain started to drip down upon the two men, he started to worry that something was going to go wrong. That something bad was going to happen. It could have been the way a certain person looked at him and ran off or it could be that the man that he was now following was on to what he was actually doing within the camp at that certain moment.

Either way, Sero was determined to complete this mission and there was nothing that he would do to jeopardize his place within the company. He had already done a lot to his body and there was no doubt that he would need to be careful this time if he didn’t want to end up dead in a ditch. Despite his strength, when he was ambushed he had no chance and he had a hard feeling that the camp would not be the safest place for him.

”I was traveling, I am a man with no real home currently and I thought hat I would explore the Rain Country. I am a simple kind of man that has nothing and when I was attacked by what I can only assume was the military. I assume they didn’t like the idea of me not having anything on me, and so they decided to stab me in the abdomen. I was just lucky enough to survive till I arrived into camp.” Sero stated in an almost victim like demeanor.

”But you, you must be a miko, correct? Why would you guys be all the way out here? I heard there was some civil war within the Country, do you guys plan on helping all the victims?” Sero continued to state. He was hoping that he could get a little something out of the man before he would be sent off on his way.

Meanwhile, his spider was continuing to look around the camp. The mass of bodies made it hard for him but he finally came upon a miko healing one of the injured.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
Junge
u havin a giggle m8

The large priest nodded as he listened and waited patiently for the story to finish. “Cruelty is commonplace in these trying times. I am sorry for your fate.” He bent down to examine the wound and left the question of allegiances unanswered. “You have the body of a soldier, friend. An injury like this on a lesser man would leave them incapable of moving around as you do.” A thick finger tapped at his chin. “But it is not my place to judge. Us of the Hontou no Itami Shrine attend to saint and sinner alike. The will of the Kami guides us all, friend. Even lost sheep may yet find their way home.”

“Take this.”
He reached into his pristine white robes and pulled out what looked to be bandages adorned with various ofuda seals. “Apply these to your wound once a day. It may take three or four days, but your wound will be healed completely by then.” His steely gaze locked with the soldier’s, and his next words rumbled out in a darker tone. “I invoke these spirits in your name, Soldier, as you have come seeking help. I ask only that you respect these grounds in return, and do not foul them with violence.”

If anything else needed to be said, it would have to wait. The noise of the constant drumming rainfall was joined by panicked, incoherent screaming. There were many overlapping voices and words being said, but one specific phrase bubble out of every mouth like pus from an infection.

Assassin.

Cardinal Yoemon departed without hesitation. His powerful strides took him from the tent in an instant, and out into the pouring rain. Each step he took with such strength it seemed to shake the ground. This priest took desecration of hallowed grounds very seriously.

Last edited by Junge; 07-08-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Old 07-10-2018, 06:27 AM   #10
Cayuga
Hardcore Member

Sero was already applying his bandages to his wounds as he continued to listen to the priest talk. There was no doubt that this man had healing powers, now it was just a question of whether or not he had physical powers. Sero was not going to do anything too hastily and he wanted to make sure this was done right. A question was about to blurt out of the mouth of the shinobi before the sounds of screaming drowned out the rainpour around them. It was interesting to think that human voices could reach such a level of screeching, however, when someone’s life was in danger, there was no stopping the carnal sense of fight or flight.

To Sero, it seemed like the large priest was in the fighting mood.

”Master, it would seem that there are assassins attacking the camp, I counted two. Also, I lost sight of your friend. He must be watching from afar, not wanting to get in anyones way. I hope we do this right, otherwise I have a feeling there are more company men waiting in the wing.” Relo stated as he popped into the tent. It seemed that the small spider had done some work and he was able to tell Sero about the situation happening.

Getting up slowly, Sero went to the threshold of the tent and peered out. HE did not see much other then people screaming and running, however, the one thing that was of notice was the large man heading to the eastern part of the camp.

Sero decided that he needed to follow and follow he would. There was a lot going on and Sero had to make sure he didn’t lose track of his target, otherwise, he would be a target himself.

”I want you to find the partner I was with. I need to make sure he hasn’t deserted me.” Sero ordered his small spider friend.

With that the two of them left the tent and entered the chaos of the camp.