iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:53 PM   #1
Bukowski
The People's Champ

Default The Killing Ground

The past week had been far too intense...

Following his family meeting and the bond that stood with him afterwards, he had spent a week in private training with his cousin. Learning more about his new friend Bakuto and the bond they now shared with Donshoku. He had yet to call upon the dark creature since intially bonding with him, but he felt the itch and that was even more aided by his state of being. He was heading away from Sound, on a mission.

The mission itself involved thwarting a series of attacks and ambushes on merchants from the Northern Ports. Sanosuke had traveled there a time during his Kitareu training with the Sonou Hiruma and he had a basic understanding of the Port People of Rice Country. They were both humble and ambitious and an integral part of the economic lifeblood of Rice. They needed to be confident, they needed to be safe and most importantly...

It needs to be New Sound and the Seijuu that provides that protection.

Sanosuke was a mission coordinator in title and it had been his plan, still he was not leading the mission. His uncle or someone close to him had sought him fit to get a Senshi protector and a Naga one at that. Sanosuke did not know much about the Naga, he was far too young and far too sheltered to have worked with many of them--but he knew better than to blindly trust his uncle's men.

What was it you said to me cousin? The only Seijuu I could rely on was myself?

Enter Sobyono, Sanosuke's hired sword. The Seijuu Prince had no need for the mission payment only the glory and so he had negotiated the samurai's presence at the cost of his own purse. Truth be told the Seijuu Prince had grown fond of the swordsmen and the idea of having hired men of his own. More tools, more loyalty, more connections. There was value in that and Sanosuke intended to use every bit of it.

And so he waited, at the gates of New Sound, with his one eyed samurai sword at his side and his skilled Senshi on the way. They would meet at the gates, Sanosuke would brief them on the plan of attack and then they wouild move towards the Northern Ports and excute their attack. Evil would be thwarted and Sound would prevail...

With enough glory to go around...

I have a promise to live up to.

Don of the Sanada Family
Grass Capo to Big Boss Cain

Yeah, I stunt, but I’m a li’l more realer
When it come from the heart, don’t it feel mo’ iller?
Watch my flow go bananas, I’m a li’l gorilla
So pardon me, man, y’all gon’ have to pardon me

Last edited by Bukowski; 06-05-2017 at 12:25 AM..
Old 06-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
merdle
Robot Admin

Sobyono didn't like the atmosphere in shinobi villages. Maybe it was just this one, but he had no qualms extending his judgement to every village on the planet. Everyone, from the kids to the grizzled adults, looked strong enough to kick his ass. Well, to give it a go at least. That was the exact sort of problem that made it necessary to have the Last Legion in the world, which in turn lead to him standing at the gates of a shinobi village down a few necessary bits.

He leaned against a wall, chewing loudly on seeds. The kid was waiting for some other guy to join them. Despite Sobyono suggesting they could take on the problem themselves. Then again, he wasn't in charge of the operation. He was just the hired hand.

"You ninja seem a little riled up," Sobyono mentioned after spitting out a shell, "Can't figure why. A few villages get burned up, sounds like business as usual no matter which ninja king is in charge."

That wasn't true. Actually Sobyono liked the Mercenary king more. At least he had more work then, without being considered a menace. But that could change, with enough money, and enough leeway from the authorities. The kid gave him that, and was slowly turning him around.

Though he had to say, Sound Village women were a mixed bunch. He almost got poisoned to death by one because he didn't realize how literal she was about giving him the 'kiss from a viper'. No harm, no foul.

"Do we really need this other guy anyway?" Sobyono said with a mouth full of seed, "Just gonna kill a bunch of archers in the woods right? Don't need this asshat for that."

The kid was different now, after his little family vacation. But despite that something about waiting for this guy seemed to have him nervous.

Last edited by merdle; 06-07-2017 at 10:10 AM..
Old 06-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
Cayuga
Hardcore Member

”This would be a first….yes, I really want to learn.” Sengo stated as he sifted through his parchments and studies. He had been trying to learn more and more about the mercenaries while doing other miscellaneous experiments. In the corner of the table was a dissected spider. There were words of a mysterious brood of the arachnids and Sengo was convinced he could discover why they were so large. The day had gotten by him and soon enough he remembered he was supposed to be meeting with someone. This someone was very special and Sengo almost completely forgot if it wasn’t for the fact that the word Seijuu crossed his eyes.

”That’s right, the boy Seijuu Sanosuke. He killed a Bear Claw too. I think he will make a great asset to my experimentations.” He stated as he rested his hand on a body draped over in a white tapestry. The figure was small and seemed quite thin. A small space was left next to the corpse, as if she was meant to have guests.

As Sengo walked the streets of the Necropolis he grew great pleasure at witnessing weird and unnatural things. The Naga had really given him an amazing home and he loved it. Arriving at the Northern Gate he was surprised at the sight he saw. The young boy seemed too weak and skinny to hold much power, however, the same could be said about Sengo. Next to him was a man that was more built and muscular, an arm missing was a telling sign he had been a few too many fights.

A Seijuu, finally, I am honored to be in your presence. I knew your uncle quite well, you know….you kind of look like him. Who is this man? He doesn’t look like someone from the village. If he was, he would be smart enough to get a replacement arm….Hey, you want me to put an arm on you?” Sengo stated as he started to playfully wonder if he would get another experiment out of the mission.

”I mean that is if you survive? If not…there are other things to do with you.” Sengo stated as he smiled.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:31 AM   #4
Bukowski
The People's Champ

Sobyono was in true form, as always.

The Prince was broken out of his thought by his Samurai sell swords complaining and general callousness. He was a little worried at how the Ronin would handle himself amongst the company of a Sound-Nin, let alone a member of the Naga. Still, he expected the same sort of courtesy he had always gotten from the mercenary swordsman. Sobyono sold his sword, he didn't give it away. He had no country, no creed, no honor and no surname to be remembered by and he lived life with the complimentary amount of recklessness (at least from what Sanosuke observed). It was different from the way the Sound Prince lived, but he still enjoyed the contrast.

Is it a surprise that Sobyono’s an insolent black-hearted rogue? He’s always been an insolent black-hearted rogue. That’s what I like about him.

Still they had a few moments before their Senshi teammate came, Sanosuke didn't find a problem in letting his man on his insight.

"I do not think we need him nor did I particularly want him," Sano said honestly, "Unfortunately I do not have a choice in such matters--the person who does is higher on the food chain than me, believe it or not. Why I'm taking you with me Yono...distrust of authority."

That much was fact--on this mission it would be the Naga who would be the leader. Sanosuke was merely the party planner, the paper pusher, the tactician. He did not trust men completely loyal to his uncle, it was after all men who were completely loyal to his uncle whom had allowed the Niidame to perish in battle. How loyal could they be? Could they even be trusted? His declaration to the Seijuu at the night of the Pact, high on adrenaline and victory had no doubt been delivered over to his uncle.

Sengo of the Bloody Bone may be my uncle's answer to my wish...

Didn't think of the implications of challenging the most powerful member of the clan openly while still a whelp, did you Sano...?

He could've sworn he heard a laugh that wasn't his own in his heart. The scary thought was knowing that he likely just had.

"I'm sure you've noticed that Sound ninja are a bit eccentric," he chuckled a bit, "Try your best to be...polite."

As if on cue the Senshi appeared and what a sight he was. Scruffy, pale and unsettling. He supposed this was why the rumors of his uncle being less than impressive at the Kage summit had the Seijuu housing set ablaze. No wonder Sound was not well received by the other villages--the Naga had made them distrusted and viewed as other. Strange. Unnatural. They had to have been a big part of the original fall of Sound. Sano had mixed feelings letting them into his village or trusting them with his life. Who wouldn't? It all seemed so convenient for them to come out of nowhere and ally themselves with Sound and the Seijuu.

But they were an ally of convenience and Sanosuke, more than ever, especially after the events of his trial--could rationalize using such tools. It was because of the Naga that Sound had a village. They were friends of the Seijuu and his uncle and thusly they were friends of Sanosuke. At least in theory.

"Hello Sengo-san, this is Sobyono. A friend. Samurai, very skilled, very expensive and worthy of respect--wouldn't want to know about the last guy who insulted his...condition. He cost me an arm and a leg." Sanosuke said curtly, "No need to be so optimistic about us living or dying. We will be fine...", Sanosuke didn't know whether to believe himself, "My uncle is relying on us after all."

He looked uneasy, he felt uneasy and still he tried his best to be professional.

"Anyway, let's go, I have a plan and I would like to fill you in on the way."

Don of the Sanada Family

Last edited by Bukowski; 06-07-2017 at 05:15 AM..
Old 06-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
merdle
Robot Admin

As Sanosuke laid it on thick, Sobyono rolled his eyes. The kid had his loyalty, which was good in its own right. At least Sobyono didn't have to worry about being stabbed in the back over nothing. But it also meant he was going to have to deal with one of these Naga people. He had heard plenty of stories about them, but never fought one, never dealt with one. Didn't feel like it, didn't pursue it, so it never became a problem for him.

When the man showed up, he could see why Sanosuke warned him. The guy was ugly for one. Not even like 'your mother probably thinks you look good' kind of ugly, but actually terrifying. It was to a worrying degree. Sobyono held his teeth as the man commented on his arm. It wasn't the first time someone offered to give him an arm. But owing someone wasn't in the cards. Plus, well...

"That's the problem with you shinobi. You're always covering up your mistakes. I live with my scars, and I'm stronger for it... probably, maybe."

He shrugged and got to his feet as they prepared to leave.

"If I die, you can do whatever you want with the corpse, I won't be using it anymore. Good luck with whatever freak experiments you plan to do with a crippled dead body."

The kid wanted nice, he would be nice. Even if that meant not commenting on how this Sengo guy looked like someone put a mask on a mummy then ran it over with some wild horses. That wasn't friendly, nor conducive to the mission at hand. If this weirdo was powerful enough to give the kid pause, then it was enough for him.

He tied his sword back to his waist, "Now let's get out of here, I've had enough of this place for a few days. Time for the open countryside, and a little bloodshed. Hopefully at least one of them is carrying something worth a damn."

The gate let the other two through easy, and Sanosuke was able to get Sobyono out as well. The place they needed to go wasn't a difficult trip, so he trusted the kid had some specific plan besides run in there and start cutting. Not that he was against that, but if there was already a known ambush, maybe that wasn't the best plan. He had depth perception issues, he didn't need to deal with more ranged fire than necessary.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
Cayuga
Hardcore Member

IT seemed like there would be hostility within the group from the get go. A prince as never a good partner and a samurai for hire might not be the best either. Sengo looked the man up and down one last time before laughing in his head.

”Expensive, ha, the dude must have been a two for one deal. He has no arm. No harm, I could always make him into something.” Sengo stated to himself as he continued to follow suit.

As the two men walked through the gates Sengo walked slower and more or less behind the two accomplices. He wanted to really get a feel of the leadership that the Sejuii were so well known for. Sengo in a way had no problem listening to someone younger then him and it would prove as a learning experience whether or not the kid was meant to fit the leadership role he was destined for.

Sengo was confident in his skills and he knew that a Sejuii might have some power but a kid was not someone that should be going after whatever they were about to face. Bandits were one thing but the Bear Claw was different. Sengo had the idea that the man he had let escape was behind the traps and he would not let him go this time.

Then it struck Sengo, he had almost forgotten that the kid in front of him actually killed two of the Bear Claw and that was praise enough.

”So Sanosuke, I heard you killed two Bear Claw already. I am pretty impressed with that. I killed one, a small girl pretending to be an old man but she really wasn’t that much of an issue. I stabbed her in the front and now she is my play thing. I heard one blew up on you and the other you took down alone. Or was this guy there to help you? Either way, I am glad I have someone that is strong enough to handle his own. I dont think you and I will have a problem but.” Sengo stated before closing in on the young boy.

"I am not completly sure about this guy here. He only has one arm after all...Like are you sure?" Sengo whispered to the young Sejuii. However, it could probably be heard by the ronin that was no more then a few feet away.

Last edited by Cayuga; 06-09-2017 at 11:26 PM..
Old 06-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
Bukowski
The People's Champ

As they left the village Sanosuke immediately felt the Naga Sengo come at him with much more familiarity than he was used too. Hovering. Close. The subject at hand seemed to be Sanosuke's encounters with the Bear Claw--something that seemed to garner him some sort of respect with the Senshi. Sano would take it and bank on it. He hadn't paid much mind to the Bear Claw or the mercenaries of Atama city. They were nothing but pawns, minor parts to be crushed by Seijuu ingenuinity and power. Sanosuke killing them? It was his fate to conquer and rule.

The Bear Claw were made to be destroyed, destroying them was nothing to brag about.

Still, having Sengo respect him was worth while.

"I don't brag much about my battles, mostly because I am not the strongest fighter and bragging usually causes people to want to fight you more, something I tend to avoid," he offered casually, "I killed one of them before he used bombs to burn down a city. Hard to call it a victory...I ended up imprisoned shortly after that. Sobyono, the One Armed Battousai, helped organize my escape from that imprisonment and it was through our combined effort that we slayed the other Bear Claw. We've been together ever since, so to say."

What Sanosuke didn't like was the implied criticism of Sobyono, his sworn sword. It had to be expected though, bringing an outsider to a Sound mission. Sanosuke didn't care. Sobyono was his man and his word would be enough--he would give it for as long as he felt it was worth more to keep the samurai at his side. If that meant embellishment and exaggeration than so be it.

"I am sure he's needed Sengo-san, though I will defer to your leadership," Sanosuke offered with a bit of professional courtesy, "I owe Yono my life and one armed or not, the samurai is my right hand and his loyalty is unquestionably mine for as long as I pay him. It's a simple transaction but I tend to enjoy simple things, benefits of a...nomadic childhood."

The Prince shook his head...

"The plan is very much simple--we're going to bait them into attacking us," Sanosuke began matter of factly, "I have purchased a carriage from a Port Town home to three merchants who have been reported victims of these attacks. We will avoid the roads on our journey to the town and when there we will disguise ourselves as simple merchants and begin a trek back to Sound."

He smiled.

"At this point the attack is three pronged, I will man the carriage and serve as the look out, Sobyono will be backing up our rear, making sure that if they do ambush us--we will have a path to escape or at least a warning that they are coming from behind."

The grin on his face expanded as he wrapped an arm around Sengo--this was out of character for Sanosuke but the young Seijuu was all about playing a role and playing it he intended. Gushing the Senshi up, inspiring loyalty, leading men more powerful and less noble than he--such was his birthright after all. He had to be confident, always. He had to be a leader, always. He was the son of kings and the blood of the Lord's of Sound ran through his veins, thicker than most. However uncomfortable the Naga made him, he was a citizen of Sound and Sanosuke had an image to uphold.

"And you Sengo-san? You will be the cargo itself," he laughed, "And we will give these fiends an ambush of our own."

Don of the Sanada Family

Last edited by Bukowski; 06-10-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Old 06-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #8
merdle
Robot Admin

Sobyono wasn't too excited about the 'sitting around holding your tongue' portion of the job so far. Hopefully being a loud douche wasn't so common among sound shinobi. But then again, he was there for the money, not for the company. He didn't have to like the Sengo guy, all he had to do was protect the kid's neck, even from the creeper.

When they started getting all weird buddy buddy with arms wrapped around each other, Sobyono couldn't help but look on the scene with lips drawn back and nose wrinkled. This Sengo guy grabbing Sanosuke like that was bad enough, but it was hard to tell what Sanosuke was thinking doing the same in kind.

Sanosuke gave his plan, and Sobyono could see how it would work. They would look like a juicy target, but since they were prepared for the onslaught they could avoid the whole getting destroyed by a distant onslaught problem. Then they would deploy the Naga guy if anything got too harsh.

When Sanosuke started laughing, Sobyono gave a half-hearted laugh of his own.

"Ha, haha, heh, right. I mean, that'll work to get us in close. We oughta' reinforce this wagon of yours if you intend to take on an ambush though. I know you two ugly guys may not understand this, but this pretty mug has a lot more ladies to meet in this lifetime. So I'd like a proper defensible position if it all goes south."

And it would. While the two of them had the blood of Bear Claws on their hands, Sobyono actually worked for them. With the new dark air to their tactics, Sobyono considered any of their ambushes dangerous, no matter how much planning. He had heard whispers of the man who loved to set traps, and what he did to those he was able to capture. Sengo's threats were cute, but the man with no name was a bit of a mercenary boogeyman.

Either way, all they had to do now was make it to Sanosuke's little rendezvous point. They could pick up their wagon, get ready, and make the trip. That seemed simple enough.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #9
Cayuga
Hardcore Member

The plan was set and it seemed like a good plan but there were a few things missing out of it that maybe Sengo might have been able to improve on. For one thing, there was a lot of danger involved, the area was filled with traps and who knows how many bandits. At this point in his life Sengo was willing to bet that normal thugs would fall to the waste side like he had seen previously in his missing with the woman shinobi Anzu. Two, there was the idea that if there was a big explosion or trap that they would already be caught. Sengo didn’t know the skills of the man next to him nor the samurai behind him. He had to assume the samurai had no type of skill other than swinging his sword around.

”How about this, I know that you think that it would be a good idea to head on the “trojan horse” idea but what happens to you if say, a thousand kunai come whipping down from the trees or something explodes under the carriage. I might be safe if the carriage is reinforced properly but you, you are dead.” Sengo stated allowing for the statement to process before continuing his lesson.

”Now what I suggest is that we use clones. I can create plenty if none of you guys can and then we dress them up, hide their faces and then follow far from the back. The good thing about these woods are the amount of hiding places. We stay low to the ground or above the ground high enough no one will see us. Either way, we stay far back and we wait for an attack. Having all the bandits in one place at one time would be perfect for me. I could kill them all in one moment with my jutsu. Now what do you think about that? OR would you rather be an experiment to these traps?” Sengo stated his case and he would wait to see what the other two thought.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #10
Bukowski
The People's Champ

Sanosuke heard what the Senshi said and considered it for a moment...

It would be simpler and safer to do it the way the Naga is suggesting...

But although the mission is to destroy these fiends, it is important for us to understand the mechanism behind the ambushes. See who is leading them and to have something more than corpses to bring back to my uncle. A deeper understanding at how these mercenaries operate...and a proven way to overcome them with Sound power.

Let them ambush us--the protection of Sound will weather any storm.

I have a duty to more than just succeed in the mission objective...

I have a responsibility for excellence.

The Hiyoutori shook his head but he was willing to compromise. He needed to be in the front of the wagon, he needed to see the landscape and be on his guard. He had faith in his own tactical mind. He had studied tactics since he was a young man--never the strongest or the wisest or the most clever but always the most cunning. Sanosuke's mind was a sword and he preferred to keep it sharp and at the ready. He could not accomplish that in the background.

"I will be driving the wagon--no disrespect intended Sengo-san, but I trust my eyes and it's important I see what these fiends are doing from the front lines," he paused, "I would welcome your clones and your strategies, I just would accompany them on the front lines. I do think there is also an argument to saving your energy though... "

He grinned, an uneasy one and just as much an act of charade as one of confidence. Sanosuke was never confident but the situation demanded the act and so he played the part of valiant and powerful Prince. He wanted respect. He would not gain it from the back lines.

"Of course...if these thugs are as skilled as they say," he looked ahead, "We might need all your chakra for the battle."

~~~~

The rest of the travel went by easy and not at all awkward or at least as much of either the trio could've managed. Sanosuke had snuck off and changed his clothes, placing a large simple blue woolen robe over his Seijuu vest and black silken pants, a large brimmed farmers hat covering his eyes. His long-sword Jin hidden from plain sight and sitting on his lap. He looked towards his compatriots who should be finishing up their preparations and then he looked to the large merchants wagon and four horses he would manning as they went down the trail back home to New Sound.

To sure attack.

He breathed in heavy.

I could back out...

Have Sobyono sit in the drivers seat.

No.

Can't rely on his vision in a game of darts much less anticipating an ambush.

It has to be me.

He breathed out heavier and then stepped up in the drivers seat.

"You all ready?"

Don of the Sanada Family

Last edited by Bukowski; 06-14-2017 at 06:03 PM..