iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Virtual Dream
Sawakage

Default Beast Master Changes Preview and Discussion

After tossing around a lot of different ideas, Merdle has put together a new system for Beast Masters. Beast Masters have long been a sort of odd-man out choice on Engi, not being as strong or interesting of a choice that some of the other archetypes give you. The biggest concerns had been the strength of the pets, as well as having more customization of your partners.

So with that being said, we have decided to move in a new direction to make Beast Masters a fun and enjoyable choice to play. While the old Beast Master Ninjutsu list had some perks, we have decided to scrap it in favor of a new traits system.

This new perk list is something I'm very fond of--if any of you have even mentioned beasts to me recently, I'm sure you've felt my energy for this new system.

So, here's a preview of the new changes! Please take your time to read it over and post any questions or concerns you might have. Remember to speak up if you love or hate something! Grumbling about it later won't do anyone any good.

~~~
Beast Masters

The Bond: Beast masters are differentiated from other shinobi by way of their connection to animals, especially with trained partner beasts considered their 'pets'. In truth, a beast master's pet is an animal with which they have a strong affinity for and rapport with. Through extensive training, the beast master imparts some of his own shinobi abilities onto the the animal that follows him. The unique nature of the bond grants a few innate bonuses to both master and pet.

While pets are incapable of human speech, a beast master learns to interpret a pet's natural sounds and movements to generally understand the animal. The bond is more instinctual and empathetic than observational, so while a beast master generally understands his pet and his pet understands him, he can't communicate with all animals or even animals of the same species any better than another shinobi. 'Pet talk' tends to be simple and concise, colored by the pet's experience and mindset as an animal.

By virtue of being partway trained as shinobi, a beast master's pet is considered intelligent. They don't compare to average humans and are certainly overshadowed by geniuses, but the pets are all trained specifically to assist their masters in the world of shinobi. Pets can recognize jutsu, understand moderately complex commands in battle, and do their best to protect their masters from harm.

Pet Stats: Pets have the normal Physical, Mental, and Chakra stat blocks, and each stat starts with a value of 1. However, pets have no archetypes. While the vast majority of beasts are used for their physicality, the stats of pets can be prioritized in any way. Taijutsu levels are determined as if the beast was the same rank as its master.

Genin pets start with 7/5/3 to distribute between their stats.
Chuunin pets start with 17/14/11 to distribute between their stats.
Jounin pets start with 27/23/20 to distribute between their stats.
Sennin pets start with 37/32/28 to distribute between their stats.

Pet Jutsu: Like their masters, shinobi pets are can be trained to use shinobi techniques or fighting styles. Pets can learn any techniques they qualify for, which means they cannot learn archetype reliant jutsu. They can learn techniques from global lists, as well as village lists their master has access to.

Genin pets start with two jutsu and may have up to three lists.
Chuunin pets start with four jutsu and may have up to four lists.
Jounin pets start with six jutsu and may have up to five lists.
Sennin pets start with eight jutsu and may have up to six lists.

Additionally, pets are able to learn swap jutsu designed specifically for them or taught to them by their owners. Each swap is attained as per normal.

Jutsu used by a pet subtract from the master's usage pool. Further, any time a pet uses a jutsu, its master loses the opportunity to use one in the same post. Thus, in one post the master could use an offensive and defensive jutsu, or use a defensive while the pet uses an offensive and so on. Master and pet may both use an offensive jutsu in one round.

Restrictions on basic Beast Master Pets:
--Only normal animals, no unicorns or dragons unless a trait allows it.
--Pets should be within a general, manageable size range (cats to large dogs) and be believably trainable (mammals, birds, or reptiles preferably), unless a trait allows otherwise.
--If your pet dies, you must spend 1 full thread finding and establishing some empathy with a new one. You do not get to recreate its statistics--at the end of your next thread (the thread after the one where you find the pet,) it will be assumed that you trained your new pet up to the techniques and stats of the previous one (so, for that thread your pet is just a normal little npc, try not to get it killed.)

Pet Growth:

In any thread in which the Pet is present, does not die, and its owner gains points; the Pet will gain one less point. Like their master, pets can only get one jutsu per thread. The master may sacrifice one point from a rating to give a pet an additional point.

Beast Trait List:

Every Beast Master automatically has a list called the Beast Trait List, taking up one of their jutsu list slots. This list isn't built like a technique list, and is instead a set of traits that can help define the type of Beast and Master. The trait list has four ranks, one for each character rank (genin/chuunin/jounin/sennin). In each rank there are three slots, one set aside for a key trait, and two for general beast traits. Beast traits may be placed in Key trait slots.

Key traits redefine the beast pet. These are the difference between having a normal dog, and having a lumbering dire wolf that has poisonous barbs in its fur. Key traits can cause large changes in how a character plays, which is why there is only one key trait slot in each rank. Using multiple key traits, it is possible to create the exact kind of pet you want, or a unique character experience.

Beast traits help boost a pet. If you want your pet to assist you with ninjutsu instead of just being there for muscle, a beast trait could help expand its list of techniques. If you want your pet to be that much faster, but you aren't getting points fast enough, a beast trait may be the push it needs. Beast traits are more general, and can be used to help define a lot of aspects of your pet or master.

A Beast Master always has access to all the trait slots up to their current rank, and as long as the beast master is the correct rank, can put traits in any available slot. Trait slots do not need to be filled in order (you could fill your Jounin slots first, if you are a Jounin beast master). If a trait says 'assigned pet', it is only used on one particular pet in the case of a beast master having multiple. Unless the trait says otherwise, a trait can be taken multiple times if it is assigned to a different pet each time. When a pet dies, the master can choose to reassign the traits to their new pet, or unlearn all traits associated with that pet.

Each trait costs one jutsu unless otherwise noted. A Beast Master can spend jutsu at creation to take traits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Example Trait
Physical Trainer (The Name)
Beast Trait (If it is a Key trait or a Beast Trait)
Assigned Pet (This is where the person taking the trait puts the name of the pet it is for)
Any Trainer (What rank it can be slotted into)
Pets gain the taijutsu bonuses of their trainer instead of their own taijutsu bonuses. They still only their own taijutsu style and special techniques, but they aren't required to have a taijutsu style. This requires a lot of training on the part of the trainer, and represents a team training routine. (Description of the trait)

Custom Traits: Traits can be registered in the Jutsu registry. Like the traits here, they must be either key, or beast traits, and have a trainer rank they fit into.

Banking Traits: You can take a trait and not assign it to any pet, if a trait wouldn't make sense to you all by itself. For instance, if you wanted a new pet, but it is also a bird, you can take Flying beast one thread, then take additional beast, then finally take small beast on your third thread and add your new small bird to your sheet.

Maybe it's the patterns that make me that made me crazy
(a r t i f i c a l f a n t a s y)
(swaps [AP] items)

Last edited by Masked_One; 07-08-2017 at 11:51 AM..
Virtual Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
Kapeesh
King Koopa

For someone with addition beasts, does each one get rated separately or do they share the TP pool of beasts?

EDIT: Sorry i can't read =D

Last edited by Kapeesh; 07-08-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Kapeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
CommonRider
Snow Village GM

So if a Genin earns one point for their thread does the pet get no points? I guess that makes sense since the Genin can decide to give his point to his pet instead, it'd keep the Genin in line with others?

Snow Village GM Prove Me Wrong
Mist Genin | Leaf Genin | Sand Genin | Rain Chuunin | Snow Jounin

AP - Swaps - Weapons/Items
CommonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Wess
General Moderator

When is the next Engi no Donation? I need more character slots ASAP.

EDIT: Sleepy, most genin now get two points per thread. It would require a low C or a D rank in the thread grading system not to.

DOUBLE EDIT: Question about One Mind. Whose stats are carried over? Does the Beastmaster get the pet's stats or does he carry over his chakra/mental and gain the physical stats, or does he carry over all of his stats, etc.?

Last edited by Wess; 07-08-2017 at 11:48 AM..
Wess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Virtual Dream
Sawakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wess View Post
Question about One Mind. Whose stats are carried over? Does the Beastmaster get the pet's stats or does he carry over his chakra/mental and gain the physical stats, or does he carry over all of his stats, etc.?
You take on the pet's stats.

Maybe it's the patterns that make me that made me crazy
(a r t i f i c a l f a n t a s y)
(swaps [AP] items)

Virtual Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #6
Masked_One
Engi's Own Y2J

In response to Sleepy's question they should still be able to get 1 point minimum, me thinks

Thank you Relu for the buttons!

I AM ALWAYS OPEN TO REG REQUESTS.
SHOOT ME A PM OR HIT ME UP ON DISCORD

~ Mist Secondary GM [ in training :P ] ~

Masked_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
Kapeesh
King Koopa

"Further, any time a pet uses a jutsu, its master loses the opportunity to use one in the same post. Thus, in one post the master could use an offensive and defensive jutsu, or use a defensive while the pet uses an offensive and so on. Master and pet may both use an offensive jutsu in one round."

I think that contains contradictory statements but it may just be my understanding.
Kapeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
merdle
Robot Admin

Ironically, that contradiction is in the normal system as well. I'll make sure it gets clarified.
merdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
Wess
General Moderator

The way I've always read that statement is that both the master and pet may attack together once per thread, forgoing a defensive action. I'm not sure how it was originally meant, though.
Wess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #10
merdle
Robot Admin

Indeed. That is the intent. It just needs clarity.
merdle is offline   Reply With Quote