iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
Hyuuga Kaito
Ancient Member

Default #enginochat

Seeing as from this point forward engi will have a registered IRC (Internet Relay Chat) channel, this is a tutorial to help those who may be confused on exactly how to get into an IRC channel, or may think that they are somehow not as customizable or pleasing to the eye as any other chat service.

Well before we get into that, for those that know good and well how to use IRC, here is the link to Engi's channel.

irc://irchighway.net/enginochat

(Use Ctrl+F to search for the number headers to a topic!)
Table of Contents
1.0 Using an IRC Client
- 1.1 Registering your Nick (Or username)
- 1.2 Getting into #Enginochat
2.0 Using Trillian
- 2.1 Enable IRC
- 2.1 Setting the connection
- 2.2 Getting into #enginochat
- 2.3 Register your nick
3.0 Using Chatzilla (Firefox Plugin)
- 3.1 Listen to Meno
4.0 Using Mibbit (Browser Based)
- 4.1 Registering your NICK
- 4.2 Joining #Enginochat
5.0 Using http://irc.lc
-5.1 Registering your nick
6.0 Other things about IRC

---

1.0 Using an IRC Client to log in to #enginochat

IRC clients, the most common among being mIRC, are programs devoted to logging into an IRC channel.

After downloading the service and initializing it, it should bring you to a screen like this.

(If yours doesn't look like mine, go to Tools --> Options.)

At this point, you should fill out the important information. E-mail especially should be truthful. A Nickname and an alternative should be listed as well. Then hit the sun button or press on 'servers' on the menu on the left side of the window. From there use the drop down menu to go to the IRChighway under IRC Network then go to IRChighway under IRC server.

If the IRChighway option is not available, click the add button and enter this information.

After hitting ok to close the window, hit the lightning bolt in the top left corner. From here the client will attempt to access the server we are on (IRChighway).

1.1 Registering your Nick (or username)

Once you are on the server, you need to register your current nickname so the server knows you. This allows us to properly identify people and give them constant access to the chat.

to do this is as simple as entering this line of text into the Server's window.

"/nickserv Register *password* *email*"
By putting in your own password and E-mail in the spots marked by astericks, you will be sent a confirmation E-mail by IRChighway.

After you have been confirmed, you need only type in "/IDENTIFY *password*" to identify yourself to the server when you connect.

It is as simple as that.

1.2 Getting into #enginochat

When you are properly identified by the server, simply type /join #enginochat into the server window.

Alternatively you can add #enginochat to your favorites list by going to Favorites --> Add to favorites.

There enter #enginochat into the Channel textbox, your Identify password into the password textbox and set the network to IRChighway. If you check the 'Join on connect' box on the right and press Add, whenever you connect to the server using the lightning bolt you will be connected to Enginochat as well.

That was simple, and using an IRC client is the most cumbersome option. Lets move to the next.

2.0 Using Trillian

To get into #enginochat using the multi-chat system known as Trillian doesn't require any additional software.

So that my tutorial matches up with your actions it would be best to have the very newest version of Trillian (version 3)

To say this in my own words, the first step is to set up the connection.

2.1 Enable IRC

IRC isn't one of the initial options for a connection to make on some computers, but enabling it is quick and easy. Go to your connections using the steps Trillian --> Connections --> Manage my connections

From there click on the box that says 'plugins' along the left side of the screen, then check the box for IRC. This will enable your Trillian to access IRC channels .

2.2 Set a server connection

On the main trillian program, go to Trillian --> Connections --> manage my connections.

This should open a window where a button at the bottom says simply "Add a new connection". The sheet that pops up needs to be filled out, from top to bottom you need to enter the following:

The Server name (this doesn't need to be exact, can be a nickname)
Hit the button next to the second box and then search for IRChighway in the list.
the last few boxes are for your nickname for the server and your username when entering chat rooms.

Then afterwards hit 'connect' next to the server name you gave it. Now you should be able to get to the IRChighway server from your list of connections. Now all you need to do is register your nick.

2.3 Getting into #enginochat

For Trillian, getting into #enginochat should be as simple as clicking on the icon you have for IRC on your Trillian client (it should be right below your avatar.)

From there just type in #enginochat. This will take you to the chatroom. For Trillian you will have to register your nick after entering the room, so when you are given voice, make sure to let us know this is what you are doing.

2.4 Register your Nick

See 1.1

The steps for 1.1 should work for registering your nick within Trillian as well. If there is a complication that cannot be fixed, please use an IRC client to register before going to step 2.4.

3.0 Using Chatzilla

Sorry kids, I have no experiance with Chatzilla, So below I have instructions from Meno on this!

But Chatzilla is an add-on for Firefox that makes it possible to access IRC channels from your browser. It can be downloaded here.

3.1 Listen to Meno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meno's Mouth
First, download and install the addon from the link that Merdle linked. Done? Alright, now to open the Chatzilla client, you have to go to Tools -> Chatzilla. This will open up the Chatzilla window. You should see the *client* window. On the bottom of the page is where you type your commands in.

Type in “/server irc.irchighway.net” and then press enter.

To register a nick, follow these instructions. First, on the bottom left of the page, choose a nick to use by clicking the button next to the textbox. In the irchighway.net tab window, enter “/msg nickserv register *password* *email*”. Follow the instructions in the email sent to your email. Now, from now on when you enter irchighway.net, you’ll have to log into your nick within 30 seconds (as long as the bottom left button is the nick that you use. This should be set automatically, but change it manually if it’s not the same). To login, enter “/msg nickserv identify *password*”. After a few seconds, you’ll get a confirmation in the window. Now you’re ready to get into #enginochat.

Type in “/join #enginochat” and then press enter.

This will get you into the IRC chat.

To save yourself the hassle of typing in everything every time you log on, you can set up automatic commands. Go to Chatzilla -> Preferences. On the left side of the window that pops up, click irc.irchighway.net. Then, click the Lists tab on the right. There is a box called, “Auto-perform”. Click Add and then type in “*msg nickserv identify password*” and then Ok.. Click Add again and this time, type in “join #enginochat”. Make sure you don’t add the / when typing in the two commands. After adding the two commands, make sure you press Apply. Now, when you turn Chatzilla on, all you have to do is enter the irc.irchighway.net server. Once you do, your nick will automatically log in and you’ll automatically enter #enginochat.
4.0 Using Mibbit (Browser Based)

Mibbit is one of the simplest and mobile options for an IRC client. By simply typing the URL http://www.mibbit.com/ into your browser you will be sent to this website:

The steps to register using Mibbit are the same as using mIRC actually.

4.1 Registering your NICK

See 1.1

4.2 Joining #enginochat

With Mibbit, it gets right to the job at hand. Use the drop down server box to locate "irchighway.net" among the options.

Then in the channels textbox enter "#enginochat" and remove any other channels.

For the nickname box, enter the nickname you would want to use, or the one you registered under if you have a registered Nick.

Finally, enter your Nick's password in the password box. From here, if you hit connect it should throw you right into chat. Have fun!

5.0 irc.lc

Go to this site, input your username and press connect.

5.1 Registering your nick

See 1.1

6.0 Other Things About IRC

IRC is commonly used as a chat system because it is versatile. But here are some of the basic things to know about.

Voice

If a chat is moderated (like ours) only those with Voice can speak. This makes it very common that those who are not welcome yet may be muted by a moderator (or OP as it is called) by having their voice removed.

/Me

A simple command that creates an 'action'. Usually IRC simply says the time and name of who is talking, but '/Me' command will make whatever is said after it into an action done by the user, with comical results (as far as how it is read).

/Nick

This command allows you to change your nickname on a temporary basis. Much simpler than having to register a whole new Nick. Anything you say after /Nick will become your new Nick for the time being. This does not allow you to bypass protecting 'Nicks' though.

Credit for tutorial goes to Merdle and Meno

Swaps // Items

Last edited by Kaen; 04-13-2013 at 09:19 AM..
Old 03-12-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
Hyuuga Kaito
Ancient Member

Any questions can be posted here.

Swaps // Items

Old 07-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Ouji
Servant of Rock Lee

Um I was on there all day yesterday and today and the forum was perfectly active but no one was on. Also I have to abilities to kick people? Why would I have mod powers I just joined?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
Dralathan
Juvenille Green Dragon

Um, you probably joined the wrong one and created your own. Quite possibly you just messed up a letter. If that had happened, then you would be the creator and the 'mod' of that chat.

Rockin' the Sushyi sig, cause I'm just that badass.

Rain GM

Approved Characters

Characters in Registry

Old 07-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Ouji
Servant of Rock Lee

Nope just checked I spelled it #enginochat and I am using mibbit by the way.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
Meno
Apparently Mist GM

Are you irc.irchighway.net? You might be in another server. Checking the chat right now, you're not even in it.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
CommonRider
Snow Village GM

Eh, nevermind. :3

Snow Village GM Prove Me Wrong
Mist Genin | Leaf Genin | Sand Genin | Rain Chuunin | Snow Jounin

AP - Swaps - Weapons/Items
Old 07-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Ouji
Servant of Rock Lee

No mibbit and I was trying it out by kicking users I made but one problem...I accidentally banned my own IP by pressing ban instead of kick.
EDIT: I am strangely only banned with any user other than Ouji on that channel.
Why doesn't some one chat with me and we'll see?

Last edited by Ouji; 07-10-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Old 07-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Meno
Apparently Mist GM

Yeah, you were on the irc.mibbit.com server. We're on irc.irchighway.net. In any case, problem solved.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
Ouji
Servant of Rock Lee

Thanks! I'm in chat now!
Closed Thread