iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:28 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:25 AM   #1
Based Kiba
Based Kiba

Default A Thick Slice Of Cow Pie

Waikiki'ka-Lu'au

An Island Arc, featuring Imai Hayate, Imamuraya Asuka, and Daichi the Boring Swordsman [NPC].
PART ONE; A Thick Slice Of Cow Pie
"Alright, team-"

"Not this again." Asuka, true to her soul, was in a piss mood yet again. And she was not going to let Daichi try to distract her from that.

"Asuka! Why do you insist on being difficult every time?!" The chuunin swordsman was at his wit's end with his genin charge. It was only their fourth or fifth mission together - four or five too many - but Asuka had proven, time and again, that she was a difficult subordinate to work with, and that there was very little Daichi could do about it.

"It's not my fault you're so boring about all these things!" Asuka stepped off the small tug boat that had transported the trio, Imai Hayate being the only useful member on the team at that moment, tying their tug to the dock. Daichi, ruefully, looked towards his fellow man in the three-man squad, his eyes pleading for assistance with the difficult girl as Hayate continued being busy tying knots.

"Don't go looking at Imai, Daichi-baka! He won't help you with being so dull." Asuka's long, purple hair fell all about her face as she got up close with her supervisor, trying to cut in between the two boys. She was sick of Daichi trying to turn Hayate against her. While yes, she was getting nicer and fonder of Hayate, nothing was changing in her for Daichi, and trying to steal Asuka's one distant chance at friendship didn't help.

"That's right. Now let's go meet this family and see what we can do about hurrying this mission up."

It seemed common for the trio that Asuka would be the one to act first, Daichi playing less of a commander and more of an incredibly powerful sidekick and peacekeeper to Asuka's reckless ferocity. Daichi was trying to work more on hiding the details of their missions together, in hopes that Asuka not knowing so much would keep her from using Daichi as her personal stepping stool.

He was trying, but today he had failed. The team had learned what they were up for on the boat ride there; Two weeks - "TWO WEEKS?!" - on the Oka Isle - "Where the hell?" - carrying out security - "Who do they think we are?!" - for Prince Oka'Omada's tenth birthday - "Whose what? Tenth?! Are you shitting me?"

Needless to say, Asuka's mood had changed drastically over their trip to the little known island of Oka, where the Oka'Omada clan raised their world famous cattle. It was heralded by most of the islands and the coastal cities as being the best beef in the world. Asuka had even been lucky enough to eat it a few times, thanks to her family's lavish lifestyle.

Despite the beef's widespread reputation for it's savory richness, the whole day left a sour taste in her mouth.

| Asuka | Aima | Isamu | Kugo | Etsuko | Nin'hon | Hiroshi |

Engi No Volunteer | Secondary Sound GM

Items - Swaps - AP [23] - Tracker - Works In Progress

Based Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
Juushichi
[R E D A C T E D]

"This again?" A groan of frustration escaped from Hayate's diaphram at what had to the be nth time that Asuka snapped back at their Chuunin team lead. Minding the knots he was tying to secure the boat to the dock, he felt no compulsion to hide his feelings on his female companion's latest outburst. Equally, he didn't care if he hurt Daichi's feelings by now either. There was a bit of hope that this time of all times would be the one that they would be able to work smoothly in...

But maybe Hayate was going insane. That's what he was told the was the word for having the same thing happen with the same result. Maybe Hayate had already gone insane? He paused and tilted his head a notch to the side while looking out at the sea, at nothing in particular... then shook it, dismissing the notion from his mind. At the same time, the genin felt the gaze from the bespectacled upon him. Thinking that he was caught in an embarrassing bit of self-reflection, his cheeks reddened and he stood up quickly.

Asuka's shrill voice cut in, snapping through any sort of awkward situation that Hayate thought he might have been caught in. He turned with a frown at the kunoichi, though he carried just a tiny... yeah, a very, veeery small amount of appreciation for her interruption.

"Asuka-chan." Hayate called out in a calm, but firm voice as he made his way off the boat, finally. "I get it about Daichi bein' borin'..." He took the opportunity to shrug the look that he knew that he was going to get from the Chuunin. Instead, he focused squarely on the girl's back, steeling himself for what he assumed was going to be an angry rebut. "an' I'm really wit ya' in thinkin that this mission sucks... but ya actin like this don't help nothin' either."

"Like it or not, this thing's gonna take a while. I figure we might as well make the best of it, yanno? I 'unno about ya'll, but I'm gonna make sure I get some of that good beef around here. I'm starvin'."

[Kirigakure] Imai Hayate [Kusagakure] Kiyomizu Shusui
[Kumogakure] Matsuoka Imae [Konohagakure] Ohayashi Toshiko
Current Owner of: [Legendary] The Peregrine: Shimizu Miho
Items, Hijutsu, Roleplay
Juushichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:01 AM   #3
Based Kiba
Based Kiba

"What, Hayate-kun?!" Asuka had spun around and stood, legs spread, one hand on her hip, the opposite arm resting lazily on the hilt of her sword. She almost sounded annoying, but the astute (likely, only Hayate at this point) would see that she was not so much angry as she was perhaps tersely attentive to her genin partner's voice and tone. They had been at this over and over again, and the young man's voice no longer bothered her. In many ways, it was often accompanied with some wise words that she sometimes liked to heed.

And she chuckled lightly, an affirmation of Daichi's plainness, which was only responded too by a betrayed, half-defeated change of stature from the chuunin. Something about the defeat in Daichi's eyes, having felt a severing of his closeness to Hayate a little bit, helped Asuka to feel bolstered, as if she had won something by maybe being liked more than Daichi by Hayate.

"Yea, I guess you're right about that much." Asuka sighed. Daichi stood shocked at her sudden complacency. The girl turned back towards the path to the mansion, as if it were a sign that everything was settled and they were to get on with the mission.

"I'm hungry too."

Daichi was nearly too relieved to be able to take in the beautiful Oka isle as the trio walked towards the Oka'omada clan's estate. He was at once overcome by the fact that Asuka was in much better hands with Hayate than with him, but there was a hope in the chuunin that Hayate might feel like he was in better hands with Daichi. The approaching mansion kept him from reaching a real conclusion.

"Well, isn't that just beautiful, eh team?" Daichi adjusted his glasses further up his nose as he stared at a massive beige building that was growing larger as they neared the Oka'omada estate.

"Yea, put a cork in it, sensei. We've all seen a big house before." Asuka rolled her eyes. The home was clearly made for wealthy people, placed simply on the beach of the isle, right where the verdant forest and grazing pastures speckled with bovine dots met the sand. It could easily house fifty people comfortably overnight, and probably had at least as many rooms. A huge wooden patio wrapped around the part of the estate touching the beach, while torches sat plucked into the sand and deck at various points, their wicks unlit.

Daichi sighed, but noticed, with the precise eye of a tactician, that the whole house seemed to be bustling with preparatory motions. It all looked perfectly prepared for a party to happen, but said party was clearly another day away, as the final pieces of decoration were still being moved and assembled. On the deck, a thin man with a clipboard was rattling off orders at a young farmhand as the trio of shinobi approached.

But with the arrival of the ninja, the thin man turned quickly and with a loud sigh of relief.

"Oh thank goodness you're finally here. It took you long enough. You're our security team right? We've got to get you a tour of the buildings and the guest houses before the rest of our expected guests arrive! Come with me." The man almost turned away towards the innards of the mansion, but noticed Asuka's eyebrow raised high, and her arms crossed loudly in front of her chest.

"And you are?" Asuka's purple hair was caught up in an ocean breeze, which was mixed with the distant, grassy-sweet scent of manure.

"No time for introductions out here. Walk and talk, miss... Imamuraya, I take it?" The man turned away again with a look on his clipboard and shuffled towards the house, leaving Asuka standing for another moment, wondering just what she could say to make the event organizer's life more difficult.

We might as well make the best of it, yanno?

And with that, Daichi was stumped again. Asuka walked quietly off behind the thin man, and the man with the katana and glasses stood shocked for another passing moment before moving to catch up with the group.

"What makes him so special..." The chuunin muttered, and the saline wind swept the words away, to be mixed in with the resonant moos and cow shit.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
Juushichi
[R E D A C T E D]

And that was that.

...Was it really that easy now? Hayate found himself a little taken aback by the short exchange. He had been watching his partner closely, preemptively preparing himself for some sort of outburst or some sort of insult. By now, that was what he expected from the kunoichi. She did look a bit miffed, but no more than she had already vocalized on the way over. There was no sort of additional ire directed his way. Asuka had laughed at his joke, held at the expense of the bespectacled Chuunin, but took his words to heart and placated herself.

As she turned back to leading them towards the direction of the mansion, Hayate kept silent. Thinking about it seriously, Asuka hadn't been very combative towards him for a while. But, he was still treating her like she was a bomb waiting to go off. Maybe he would have to reevaluate how he treated the girl--- and Daichi, whose expense he'd had a joke at in order to shield himself from her reaction.

Quickly, the large mansion came into view. Daichi made a comment on it which, admittedly, Hayate was not sure was sarcastic or not. Considering that he thought it genuinely to be large, certainly the largest of such abodes that he'd ever seen, Hayate was in awe of the thing.

"I unno, Asuka. This is absolutely the biggest mansion I dun' ever seen. I gotta wonder how many people actually live in this thing..." Now, while he didn't consider himself to be particularly poor or anything... even in Kirigakure, the rich people he'd seen didn't have too much like this. The closest thing he'd recall like this encompassed their mission office and stuff. Maybe it was different for the affluent heiress of the party.

His sense of wonder was destroyed by the terse man talking up a storm with their arrival and his reaction to it was much the same as Asuka's, minus the physical gesturing. Naturally, he frowned when the simple question she asked was brushed aside as he moved ahead of the group. Not usually urged to speak up for the girl, Hayate was irritated enough to do so this time.

"Yes, that's Imamuraya. I'm Imai and this here's Yamamoto-san." Not missing a beat, Hayate cooed out a smooth greeting for the three of them with a pleasant expression. "Ya look mighty busy, so we're oh-so grateful ta you fer meeting us'n takin' around the place... mister, uh... I don't believe we were able to catch yer name?"

Items, Hijutsu, Roleplay
Old 05-01-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
Based Kiba
Based Kiba

The man with the clipboard stopped his haunting gait towards the mansion and sighed. Shinobi these days were awfully pushy. Nothing like the services he used to be able to render with his boss' paycheck a few years ago. The war in Seagull and the Water Lord's tightening grip had changed the chakra-talented warriors of his country.

"I am Yoji, groundskeeper and event organizer. I'm oh-so-pleased to meet you, Imai-San, Imamuraya-san," At this he paused and nearly chuckled at the coupled sounds. Asuka smirked, even sharing it with Daichi. She had recently come to believe that the fact that hers and Hayate's name shared the same sound might signal that the two were closer, or perhaps predestined for work together. "Yamamoto-san, it is a pleasure. I was told you were to be leading this team, yes?"

Daichi nodded, in a way that made it feel more like a salute than a move of his head. He was still a little bewildered.

"I'd say you could do well to teach your genin how to behave if they're to be involved in the festivities." Yoji looked terse, while Daichi felt a pang of irritation from being scalded by an event planner.

"Leave my team to me, Yoji-san. We will make sure you're happy with our work." Daichi looked over at his genin, only to find Asuka's plucked eyebrow raised high in surprise and silent glee.

"It better be, for what we're paying Kirigakure." With this Yoji imagined their introduction had finished and gestured back towards the house. "Right this way, shinobi."

Last edited by Based Kiba; 05-18-2017 at 07:37 AM..
Old 06-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
Juushichi
[R E D A C T E D]

Hayate's pleasant smile widened, stretching his lips thin. He felt his jaw tightening with irritation, knew that his eyes had narrowed in tandem with his smile growing. It hadn't even been five minutes since they met their would-be tour guide and he was already feeling like he wanted to get back to the boat. From what he had heard of Prince Okasomething-or-another, the fun wasn't going to stop any time soon either.

Hayate slowed his gait behind Daichi's, falling in lock-step with Asuka's. Taking a moment to take in beautiful scenery of the island, Hayate tried to shift away from his sour mood before he made his attempt to speak to her. Hayate turned to her after letting out a short breath and spoke. "Ya'know... this is the first time I've ever been on an island--- well, uh, and island like this one." With the lush greenery and trees serving as the background to the elaborately crafted buildings, Hayate was a little overwhelmed. "Along wit tha' help runnin' around tryin ta get things set up, it's hard ta believe that all this is fer a 10-year-old."

This place was nothing like the backwater islands they'd been on in missions, or condensed feeling that living in Kirigakure housing districts gave off. It really looked like one of those resorts he saw in magazine advertisements. He wished that he had a camera with him, just so he could take a picture back to his mom and show her. Though... she probably had already been out this way by now.

"...But, ya don't seem so impressed, Asuka-chan. I know yer family is... well-off. Didja ever have something like this done fer your birthday?"

It probably went without saying that his birthday celebrations were always more of a... low key affair. Typically with his mom or Aiyuki when she was still alive. In the last year though, Maho had dropped of something for him. As clumsy as Maho tended to be, Hayate had to admit that he was appreciative of that.

Items, Hijutsu, Roleplay
Old 06-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #7
Based Kiba
Based Kiba

Asuka often forgot, in all of her time working with Hayate, that they were two starkly different people coming from two starkly different worlds. Asuka had only visited Hayate's home once, but she had remembered, from the quaint feel and limited square footage, that she was significantly better off than Hayate. She hadn't blinked an eye at the fact that her brother got the best treatment in the country when he had fallen ill. This was a part of the familiar accessories of her life; wealth, comfort, and the expectation for it.

So Hayate bringing all of this up on their mission was a bittersweet distraction from the dickhead organizer and his clipboard as they walked into the house.

"Yea, it's all very pretty here." And it was, besides the constant smell of methane gas in the peripheral air. The house, as they all walked into it, was massive, and each room felt larger than life, with expensive rugs, or art on the wall, or some sort of artifact on display from some long-gone indigenous peoples. Even for Asuka, it was a little extravagant.

"Money is money, wherever it is. Nothing surprising about that.". Asuka grimaced as Daisha and Yori talked about the specifics of their role in front of them.

"I wouldn't have any flashy shit like a whole party to myself. That's just conceited and showy." Said the girl who had only recently begun laying back on the make-up routine. Her whole all-black get up was still new, having shunned her more colorful wardrobe in the wake of her brother's death. But even as she spoke about her belief that she was above this kind of ostentation, her mind floated to parties with live bands and catering services, and everyone in some kind of fancy dress. She had a hard time remembering if that had really been her party, or if that had been her brother's. She was fairly certain that she had never had enough friends to invite to something like that.

"Nah, Hayate-kun. Never had something like this. Not my style.". Asuka hoped that her distaste for the event would maybe hide the fact that, with her family's wealth, she could have had something like this if she had wanted it. She couldn't think of a better way to excuse herself, and she didn't have to, as Yori opened a door to a library. In the middle, a long table that could seat fourteen waited, with a man somewhere in his late thirties sat in a clean black suit reading the paper, while a young boy, no doubt this 'Prince Oka'Omada', was tiring of his cereal.

"Papa, I'm boooored. Can I go play now?"

"Not yet, Hibiryu. Our security is here, and I'd like you to meet them." The man rose, and the boy stayed seated, turning towards the open door and the three shinobi walking in. Asuka withheld a frown. Yoji, meanwhile, began the introductions, his new demeanor completely subservient and almost ebullient as he spoke high praise for Daichi the Boring Swordsman and his team of young punks.

"Those two are security?!" The prince himself pointed a stubby finger at Asuka and Hayate. The young girl had half the mind to bite it off. "They're just kids!"

"Now, Hibiryu-sama, they are trained shinobi with years of experience. Do not mistake their age for their ability.". The young boy, with the round cheeks and bowl cut black hair, harrumphed back in his seat.

I'll be sure not to mistake your pudgy ass for cattle.

And with that, Asuka smiled, and bowed.

"Pleasure to meet you, Oka'omada-sama. We are at your service." Asuka feigned a good nature, hoping in her heart that her shift as security may only amount to walking the grounds and staring at the thoroughbred cattle that grazed the isle. Daichi, meanwhile, stared dumbfounded at his female charge, still shocked by Asuka's false humor. He didn't yet know enough to be able to tell whether it was a sign of something more dangerous.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #8
Juushichi
[R E D A C T E D]

The realization that he was starkly out of place in an extravegant home like this had never dawned on Hayate. Of course, the boy was aware of his bumpkin roots and homely upbringing... but the sheer excess of stuff that was packed into the wide halls of the places they walked through was simply amazing. He briefly wondered how much money it really cost to have something like this. How it would feel to actually live in something like this.

"Hm...," Hayate chewed on the callous words of his teammate. "I dunno what you mean by that." Money is money, wherever it is. The meaning behind the phrase... Did that mean that it didn't matter where money was? As they continued through the hallowed halls of the mansion, Hayate looked at his teammate. Clear discomfort had settled into her expression. Brow furrowing in confusion, he thought a little bit more about the situation. Asuka was an heiress and had to have gone to functions similar to this before. Was this even overblown among the rich?

Well, either way it wasn't something that he was going to have any sort of insight on. There was something else that caught his attention in Asuka's words. 'Not her style'. Until recently, she was... maybe not as showy as this event was, but certainly had a style onto herself. But she had changed it... and he realized he had never gone out of his way to ask her about it, either.

"Hey, Asuka... what i--" The start of his question was cut off by the creaking of the grand doors leading into what looked like the main dining room for the family. The sound snapped Hayate back to attention and he faltered a little, feeling just a tad bit embarrassed about ignoring the back and forth between Daichi and their tour guide, Yoji. Surely the last stretch of time spent talking to Asuka was not looked upon fondly by the groundskeeper, but Hayate couldn't find it in him to care that much.

Looking bad in front of their actual patron, however, was a different story entirely.

Using Yoji's lead, Hayate shuffled neatly to the side of their Chuunin superior and kept his expression steadfast. The Prince in front of him, Hibiru, did not seem to be impressed by their appearance much like the groundskeeper before him, but Yoji still piled on the praise in front of his boss. Hayate almost found himself impressed by the about face his attitude performed. After Asuka's introduction, he followed suit.

"Please excuse the interruption ta the meal. Pleasure ta meet you, Oka'omada-sama."

"I assure you that Hayate and Asuka are capable shinobi, Oka'omada-sama."

Daichi shook through his hesitance at Asuka's behavior to resume the frontman role that he was supposed to take, smiling amicably at the head of the family. Yoji took that opportunity to excuse himself for the moment, vocalising to his master that he would return to the preparations at hand. Hibiryu on the other hand continued to scrutinize the two genin, a frown settling firmly on his face. Hayate offered a smile to the heir, but was met with a scoff, so the smile stiffened and froze for a long moment.

"I'm glad to hear that, we're in your care. Perhaps while we go over the itinerary, Asuka-san and Hayate-san could accompany my son for a bit?"

Items, Hijutsu, Roleplay
Old 06-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #9
Based Kiba
Based Kiba

"But I don't wanna hang with them!" Hibiryu pouted his cheeks and slammed his fists onto the beautiful table. He frowned at his father, who returned the glare twofold in silence. Asuka watched this refrain with great intrigue, until the young boy harrumphed again and slid off of his chair and began walking towards Asuka and Hayate.

Don't you worry brat, we don't want to hang with you either.

Asuka's eyes continued to trail the boy as he moved down the table, which he was only barely taller than. He looked up at Yoji momentarily then stared at Daichi for a second.

"Your glasses look weird." Hibiryu scoffed and turned towards Asuka, who had just coughed away a chuckle.

"Behave, Hibiryu." Whoever Hibiryu was, it was clear that his father was stern, and so when the young boy finally made it to the genin, he had almost mustered an appropriate smile in greeting.

"Hello. I'm Hibiryu. You may call me Hibiryu-sama. It's my birthday on Saturday, and I don't want you two messing up any of my fun. Now let's go." Hibiryu pushed past the pair and opened the door back out into the hallway without looking back. He was walking at his own pace down the hall and out of sight, while Asuka shared a pitiful look with Daichi, who gestured subtly for them to follow the boy.

"I guess that's our cue, eh, Hayate?" Asuka opened her arms towards the door, offering the threshold to Hayate. "Age before beauty, right?"

She could only imagine where they might be headed.