iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
Virtual Dream
Sawakage

Default [Keisei] Hellhound & Orchid: Tax Season

Black heels clicked against the wooden floor of the study with a steady, measured percussion that stirred up the dust in the evening sunlight. Keisei Ranko was dressed formally, in layers of blacks and purples, gothic lolita mixed with the traditional styling of her horrible heritage. She ran her hands down her backside as she sat on the leather chair that was much too large for her, and carefully placed a small wooden object on the heavy desk in front of her. At a glance, with the cute mascot character attached via a keychain, it could be mistaken for a glasses case - - but the students of the Omoikane Dai-Gakuin were well aware that this was Ranko’s killing knife, used to silence troublemakers.

The young man sitting across from the desk, in a chair suited for a kindergardener causing his legs to fold up close to his shallow chest, immediately started to talk.

“Listen, you don’t understand, I wasn’t stealing anything, and your boss girls are on the cut, anyway – it ain’t real drugs, they’re just caffeine pills. To help with studying, please – “

“We’re not here for that.” She said pointedly, as if she was annoyed he’d bring up anything else. She glanced over at one of her boss girls who closed the door of the study and turned to face the wall. The great virtue of obedience was a quick way to earn favors with the Prince of the Keisei. “This is about Guo Tong.”

Relief washed over the boy, an exhausted relaxation hung over him as his limbs all seemed to go noodley at once, before he immediately snapped back up to attention. “Y—yeah! He’s my dad’s friend. Uncle Tong.”

“He pays your tuition, too.”

“Ye—yes, ma’am. My family isn’t very well off, but uncle takes care of us.”

“Mayuko, this one is one of yours?” She turned to one of the other girls lining the edge of the room, her eyes heavy with a tiredness beyond her years. Mayuko, one of her most trusted lieutenants, gave a nod and gestured over at the boy.

“He’s paid up. Sells placebos to some underclassmen while they use the library. I’m not sure what’s going on.”

“Family business, Mayuko.” Ranko sighed and drummed her fingers on the desk, dangerously close to her killing blade. “I need to know more about this Guo Tong.”

“Wait, I don’t know anything about Uncle’s business. He’s a mayor or a duke or something. I’m just a kid.”

“Shall I handle the investigation, then?” Mayuko preemptively pulled a cigarette from the pocket of her ill-fitting school uniform.

“Keep it clean,” The Prince said, as she grabbed her blade and stood up again. “And make sure to punish him for smoking on campus.”

Mayuko lit her cigarette, a soft amber glow against her pale face. “Yes, ma’am. I take it you’ll be leaving campus?”

“Meeting one of my uncles for a little job. Make sure you get whatever you can squeeze out of this little pimple before my carriage arrives.”

“I really don’t know anything!” The boy pleaded, but the little black heels clicking against the floor was the only response the Prince gave him. “Miss! Please, I’m not cut out for all this gangster stuff--”

One of the boss girls opened the door for the prince, as an other drove her fist into the boy’s chest. Mayuko propped herself up on the desk – and the heavy wooden door closed before Ranko’s delicate sensibilities had to see anything violent.

- - -

“Uncle Ken!” Her face, plastered expertly with the best cosmetics a girl could buy in River, hid any bags or signs of exhaustion, locking her in a perpetual state of vibrant exuberance. Her black parasol blocked the sun out from her face, but she was beaming like a little light all the same. “How nice of you to ride out to meet me!”

She was flanked by a series of other ill-dressed girls, but the rest of the school’s morning parade was all at careful attention, eyes averted from the older man. “I hope the morning is treating you well.”

Maybe it's the patterns that make me that made me crazy
(a r t i f i c a l f a n t a s y)
(swaps [AP] items)

Virtual Dream is offline   Reply With Quote