iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
JauntyHat
What am I reading?
 
JauntyHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In A House
Posts: 1,766
Default New Horizons

“I know you speak some of my language, sir.” Her tone did not change and yet Kouten Laien was becoming more and more agitated.

The old man was clearly the village elder and yet he seemed to be playing dumb with her. She had seen small caravans carrying boxes engraved with the Jintek symbol coming and going from this area frequently. The company was renowned for its trade practices, especially when it came to medicine both herbal and mineral. Who else would they be dealing with so far into the island? However, when confronted with such matters, the man remained silent and smiled softly while waving an upright palm back and forth in a dismissive manner. If he didn't speak her language he certainly had picked up some of her civilization's mannerisms.

After close to twenty minutes attempting to get any information and only receiving parrot phrases and hand gestures into the jungle surrounding them Laien took a step back and gave a respectful bow in hopes that it would signify the end of their conversation in as polite a manner as she could stomach. The old man smiled and returned to his business. Yurikina Raiko was standing besides Laien, currently reading through the current ledger on Lac known history, culture, and language.

“You gave up to early, ma'am.” She said in her usual sheepish tone.

“Excuse me?” Replied Laien

Raiko cowered behind the ledger, “It says here that the Lac are notoriously long winded, and like to have foreigners prove themselves in conversation before any information is divulged...”

“Raiko that book was written by one person who had heard from someone who had talked to someone about a story they heard about these people. It's not useful information,” Laien retorted, “it's not even that relevant! These people are adapting modern technologies and ARE capable of conversing with us, there's just a language barrier at the moment... Either way come with me there's more we need to discuss.”

The two women trotted over to a nearby makeshift bench that had been carved out of a stump and sat down. Laien was in full uniform today, the New Cloud regalia thrown across the shoulders signifying her rank as Command Sergeant. It was a new uniform made specifically for densely forested areas; long sleeved and an extra light fabric to keep the wearer comfortable in the elements and protect them from most insects. Raiko however was still in the Old Cloud uniform, with the New regime's colors and symbols sewn on top of it. Both of them looked terribly out of place, like some kind of military emissaries, which was as far from their intents as possible.

“You do know why we're here right, Raiko?” Laien quietly questioned her friend

“...There was something about medical advancements and new discoveries and-” Raiko started, quickly being cut off.

“That's certainly a part of it. I've been tasked with looking into some things down here by those higher than us.” Laien began, “Coming to this village however was not a part of the plan; this is my own personal investigation.... We may have to go into the jungle soon if nothing comes up.”
__________________
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like honey.
JauntyHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Jake
Lexicanum Librarian
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,515
Default

*Three Days Ago*

“Seirei no Shima?” A man at a table in the bar spoke to his friend.

“Seriously, an island full of giant monsters and hidden secrets. Some people think they may find the next big thing on that island. Maybe something technological or chakra based. Personally, I think its just some backwater island with a bunch of aboriginals and pygmies running around sacrificing all the new tourists. “ His friend responded.

*Present Day*

The rocky path was uneven and Keiji found himself stepping awkwardly on the road as he traveled down the path to an apparent village that was up ahead. The man was wearing his typical clothing get up while his face and body was covered with a tan hooded duster. He could feel the heat through the duster, as sweat began to bead down his arms and face. It definitely looked like the sun was beginning to get to him as he began to notice his skin was getting browner from all the work he had been doing recently in Iron Country. Gah, the sun is atrocious. It’s been almost two years and I still hate the warmth. Damnit, Jin. You should be here dealing with all of this shit also…

Apparently this island holds a lot of secrets and a lot of strange stories of various nature. Not sure if I believe any of them. His thoughts continued as he entered the village and began to look around. Wasn’t much there and Keiji soon began to wonder if he was even going to be able to gather any kind of information at the run down village.

I think those two guys were right about one thing. This island is definitely backwater, but I don’t see any of us being sacrif…

His thoughts were interrupted, as he passed two women talking. One of them seemed like they had a stick up their ass while the other hid behind her paperwork. Great… some hard ass military person and her weak underling who has no apparent set of balls. Wonder why they are here.

His pace slowed a bit. He didn’t want to draw too much attention to himself, but he was also curious why these two females were here and why they would be in the village. Maybe they knew something that he didn’t and he could gain some information. He had already been on the island for a day and was beginning to get fed up. This could be the break he was looking for.

Medical advancements and new discoveries. Maybe those two guys in the bar weren’t completely wrong with what they were saying… Jungle… Keiji turned towards an older woman as she came out of her hut holding out a cooked piece of fish. Shoving into Keiji’s face and hold out her hand it was pretty obvious what she wanted.

Money for food. Is she panhandling me? These people may not be as backwater as some think... Keiji just pushed her hand down and turned to walk away. Looks like I am going to have to get my hands dirty to actually find anything useful on this island and here I was hoping this would be easier… Damnit Jin...
__________________
Ninsen Clan GM

Game IDs:
LoL: Haokah
Battle.net: LowAPM#1750

AP:14
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
Virtual Dream
Plus Ultra
 
Virtual Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Yonder Blue.
Posts: 3,363
Default

Higashi Jun'ko was layered in clothing, hiding most of her gear underneath a black and red velvet cloak that looked one-hundred percent brand new, but it fit the young woman like a glove, stylishing bundled around her shoulders and hemmed directly around her ankles, moving along her body rather than against it. It hid her sturdy body, all womanly-features and curves, so she only had her face to make an impression. Wide, pale eyes and blushing cheeks framed by naturally blond hair made her look like an angel, an avatar of peace.

She moved with grace, like royalty, through the little village. Years of training in Amegakure black ops tore away the illusions of this place instantly—natives playing stupid for easy coin, taking advantage of tourist appeal. Simple crafts and food being sold at a tremendous price for novelty alone, the passing of ryou of the mainlands somehow worth something here. Jun'ko played the part, passing coin and eagerly taking interest in base commerce—but she traded bills and coins for information as an added wager, and made her way to a location where shinobi had been seen, getting hustled by a patient old man.

Two women from Cloud discussed publicly and openly, maybe thinking they were the only people who spoke JapanEnginese fluently in earshot. Jun'ko leaned against a tree that glowed with simple bioluminescence, something like deep in Amegakure, maybe something impressive and weird to the others. She bit into a weird fruit, and delighted that it tasted something like a tomato and a mango in a weird blend. Sewerfruit lacked the same punch as surface stuff.

“No need to go into the jungle unaided,” She said, simply, towards the two women. “I gotta source says treasure to be had. Can cut you in in exchange for your skill and trade.”

The teenage girl looked over towards the two women with a sparkle in her eye. “Real treasure, too. Kind that makes you popular back home, I hear.”

She took another bite, and purple liquid trailed down her seductive lips, traced the jugular on her thin, young neck. “Better'n wandering these jungles alone, right?”
__________________
Available for Registry Checks
Virtual Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
JauntyHat
What am I reading?
 
JauntyHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In A House
Posts: 1,766
Default

As the two women sat they seemed to have been focusing on two different people at once. The outcome both had achieved was the realization that these villages might not be as secluded as they originally thought.

The younger shinobi paid attention to an older shinobi who, at the moment, was being approached by one of the villagers. He was being offered some kind of paltry food item, which he quickly refused. Raiko giggled to herself as she watched.

Kouten Laien however was much more aware of the female shinobi leaning against the glowing tree.

'Real Treasure?' Laien thought to herself, 'Do we really come off as treasure hunters? Perhaps there might be some actual value to whatever this girl is trying to sell but I'm certainly not after anything of material value.'

“I'm listening.” Laien replied to the girl, placing her palm on her friend's shoulder as she stood. “Just what would one have to do to acquire it though...”

Laien made her way to the girl and sized her up in the process. Not sensing much of a threat she stopped roughly 3 feet in front of her. The girl's cloak was bulging in all the right places; it hid weapons and armor most likely, probably for the best in this area. Laien smirked softly and waited for her reply...

Yurikina Raiko gazed back at Laien as she walked past having not heard what was previously said; she was always spacing out the important things. There didn't seem to be much of an issue so her attention went back to the older shinobi. Raiko smiled and stood up, she wrapped her arms around her book pressing against her chest and walked up to the man.

“It's a sign of welcome.” She said softly to the shinobi. “They may want a donation afterwards but they'll take anything in return.”
__________________
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like honey.
JauntyHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Jake
Lexicanum Librarian
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,515
Default

The old woman was persistent with the fish. Pulling it up to his nose so the smell would entice him to purchase it, but every time she got close Keiji would brush it away. He didn’t have time for her antics and needed to get to business with finding what he came to find… anything that could help me in his endeavors. Looks like another interesting party has arrived and another woman at that. She seems more… regal? flashy? Fuck, I don’t know. She is definitely not like the other ones of there. Thats for sure.

Keiji looked up to see the new arrival enter the village and bite into what could only be considered some form of island fruit. Looked gross. The arrival of another individual made him uneasy. He wasn’t trying to draw attention to himself, but it seemed like staying in the village would only increase that chance, so he sighed a bit and lifted the hood off his face. The sun fell off his squared face and the wind gently blew through his tightly kept brown hair. His grey eyes piercing the around the rest of the village just in case his hooded vision didn’t miss anything else from before.

It seemed the new arrival didn’t notice him and if she did, well she didn’t seem to care about him. That was a good thing in his opinion, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t wary of her. The other two didn’t seem to mind his presence. It seemed this island was considered some sort of mutual safe haven, but then again, it wasn’t like they knew who he was or where he used to be from. If they made an advance towards him to make contact it would be best for Keiji to keep most of himself to, well, himself. That’s when the sheepish female who was with the hard-ass female seem to approach him shyly.

As she spoke to him with a cheerful smile about the fish being an offer to welcome Keiji to the village. It was hard for him to turn down her words and with the small gesture gave the old woman a bit money on him. They nodded to each other and the old woman grinned wildly with happiness. Keiji smirked slightly in response. It had been a year or more since he noticed someone so happy and still full of life. Most of the people he involved himself with now were cold, heartless, and were only looking for power. The people who have lost their old will for life and substitute it for a hollow existence.

His attention turned back to the girl. Looking down at her, he began to grow curious if they could be of use. He was tired of walking alone and even more tired of finding new answers, but it seemed like her companion may have knowledge of what the island could possibly hold. The new arrival was also apparently informed about this island, if only a bit. I should really have done some kind of research before coming here. It seems like I am the only one here on a complete whim…

“So, this island… It holds possible treasures or other items of interest, yes? If so and if you are looking into finding them. May I ask if you wouldn’t by any chance need another? It seems your boss or whoever is adding to your ‘party’.” Keiji stated head motioning to her companion and the other female who continued to eat on the fruit.
__________________
Ninsen Clan GM

Game IDs:
LoL: Haokah
Battle.net: LowAPM#1750

AP:14
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
Virtual Dream
Plus Ultra
 
Virtual Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Yonder Blue.
Posts: 3,363
Default

The young Rain Jounin looked down on her Cloud companion with eyes that twinkled something beyond simple wanderlust. She swallowed down another piece of fruit, the purple juices starting to trail on her bare hands, and mirrored the Cloud Jounin's smirk with one of her own. Not to show she was unafraid of the military woman...it was something worse than that. The smirk really was like looking into a mirror—a reflection of what Jun'ko saw on the woman's face. Behavior consistant with the mentally disabled or disturbed...or maybe just a shinobi trick to make someone feel uneasy.

“Murderin' seems likely. Natives don't take well to gaijin coming in and yoinkin' their shit. Shouldn't be an issue for me and you, not sure about your friend and her boyfriend over there.” Jun'ko nodded over at the other pair, taking a final bite from her tomango and tossing it aside, quickly dabbing away the errant juice on her smooth skin. The juice faded away quickly into the fibers of the cloak.

Jun'ko locked eyes with Keiji, having mentioned him to the Cloud jounin at the same time he was mentioning her to the assistant. She smiled over at him, and continued to speak to the Jounin before her.

“Might be some spelunkin' in the underground, but that's my specialty. Seems like some old-religion cyphers and foreign text, so figured a military academy type might be the one for that. Should also be plenty-a roughin' it and we might encounter some proper weird shit, so wild man over there might be just the ticket.”

She grinned again, this time using her real face rather than mirroring her companion. Her teeth were sharp in her skull, stained with the purple of the mango and the brown of cigarettes, real gnashers that belonged to a crocodile before a person. It as a drastic change from the kawaii-desu innocent face.

“Name's Higashi Jun'ko.” She stuck out her hand, fingerless gloves and delicate fingers with purple paint on chipped nails. “Born spelunker and tomb raider, boom-boom projectiles and mindfuckin'. You'n yours?”
__________________
Available for Registry Checks
Virtual Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:51 AM   #7
JauntyHat
What am I reading?
 
JauntyHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In A House
Posts: 1,766
Default

Slightly oblivious, Raiko titled her head softly to the right as she listened to the older man. Were they really being that obvious with their intentions coming here?

Blushing deeply, “Oh... yes I guess you could say that...” Sputtered out, “We're mostly here for investigative purposes though. Not much is known about this island and our nation doesn't really have much of an international presence yet....” She continued not really sensing the operational security violations. “If you know anything else about the terrain here or have any knack for exploring I'm sure the Sergeant would be more than happy to let you join us!”

She fumbled with the book as she spoke, never really paying any attention to her companion or the other woman Laien was speaking to.

“Rest assured you wouldn't have to worry about any of the hardships, Raiko and I have had enough training for such endeavors.” Laien spoke softly, continuing to eye the young girl.

The cloaked girl seemed to be mimicking her movements, the smirk was just icing on the cake. There was obviously more to her than meets the eye but what she was hiding remained concealed for the time being.

At the mention of Raiko and another traveler Laien's vision remained on the girl, “Well it seems as if this place isn't as secluded as most people claim it to be.” Her smile grew slightly, “It sounds like it might be interesting to take up your offer though Jun'ko.”

Laien reached out and grabbed the girls hand with the force of a military handshake, squeezed and gave three thrusts before releasing the Jun'ko. “Kouten Laien, Command Sergeant in the Cloud military. I assume you have your things ready?”

Finally after the handshake did Laien break full contact with the girl and turned towards Raiko and the older man, “That goes for you two as well. If you're coming with us, Shinobi, I hope you're prepared."
__________________
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like honey.
JauntyHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
Jake
Lexicanum Librarian
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,515
Default

Without Jin here it’s troublesome to continue this alone and right in front of me is a possible solution to that problem. Can’t give too much of myself away. It’s obvious what I am, but where I am from isn’t public knowledge and it doesn’t seem like they have any clue. It isn’t like I am wearing identification. Let’s see where this goes, I guess…

Keiji snapped back to reality quickly as the small assistant began to go on about the island and how there wasn’t much of a presence from the mainland and it’s villages. That was kind of a surprise to Keiji. The island is told to hold treasures, relics, and supposedly even monsters. There is no telling what else they could possibly find on this rock and it didn’t seem like any of the big villages were making a move to claim the island, but then again sending small investigation parties does seem to be a better idea tactically speaking.

Keiji continued to listen to the assitant as he looked back towards the other two female shinobi. He noticed that the one fruit eating female looked over to him. Looks like this party is formed. Gotta keep my guard up though. I don’t trust her…”hardship” The word broke into his thought. The assistant was still talking.
“I don’t care. I need this island to produce materials for me. Either it be monetary or actual materials that I can use. I won’t allow you to slow me down. I have to get back what I lost and this island may hold that key, so for now I don’t mind tagging along with you.”
Keiji’s stare seemed emotionless, but at the same time had a glint of saddness in it. He had lost his way in life with the destruction of his home and livelihood. He may have been in his thirties, but there was a part of him screaming out, as if it was lost in a never ending maze.

Laien and Jun’ko. Keiji could finally put a name to their faces. Cloud, eh? Interesting… Keiji thought, as he removed his cloak and gestured to the old woman to take it from him. A dark grey long sleeved shirt hung over his body with the sleeves rolled up. He also wore what looked like a shinobi’s basic tactical vest, but with no apparent symbol of where he was from on it or on him. No headband or patches were visible on his body. Black cargo pants with basic black carpenter boots made up the rest of his attire that was previously hidden.

“The name is Keiji, if you are curious and it’s not too important where I come from at the moment.” He spoke to the group. He wasn’t sure if this was the right move, but it definitely seemed like the correct one to take.
__________________
Ninsen Clan GM

Game IDs:
LoL: Haokah
Battle.net: LowAPM#1750

AP:14
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
Virtual Dream
Plus Ultra
 
Virtual Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Yonder Blue.
Posts: 3,363
Default

Who the hell asked you where you were from?! Jun'ko thought bitterly, having hoped the issue of villages and alliances could have been simply ignored. He was right, though, not to mention it would be even more suspicious...although she had been content to assume he was from one of the Great Five, statistically speaking, and just leave it at that. Now her mind was a flutter. Her surface world knowledge was probably better then most Rain shinobi, but the goings on in foreign lands were hard to keep track of when you had so much strife back home. All the big guys liked each other, right? From the looks of him, he was probably from Earth country, all big and muscle. Maybe an Iron man. Do they have ninja?

Maybe. It was impossible to tell.

Jun'ko smiled, twining her fingers in between each other and tilted her head slightly as she did. Heart-achingly cute, she could be, with that young face and dangerous curves. She leaned in towards the man, earnestly, but perhaps with her ass poked too far out and her spine curved awkwardly, accentuating her sinfully delightful curves. She was too young for him, socially speaking—but she was a master at manipulation.

“Glad to have you, Kenji-sama!” Her voice had a sing-songy quality more appropriate for a schoolgirl rather than a murderer.

Once everybody and their stuff was together, Jun'ko pulled in the three others—the two Cloud ninja and Kenji---and explained her information.

Better than hearsay or rumors, she had a reliable first-hand account of a tunnel entrance beyond a weak, trickling stream that might have once been a proper waterfall. Inside the tunnel were weird chakra formulas, like the kind medical shinobi or summoners might deal with, and farther in, a multitude of great beasts. Beyond those beasts, who knows? But the pile of bodies already accumulating included headbands from most of the major villages, so it was likely something of interest was in there. Particularly since once you enter the tunnel, there's no sensory information from the outside world—a hidden temple, protected from the peeping eyes of the greatest doujutsu and probing jutsu of the world.

And then, to rumors: Rumors of an ancient king who traded his greatest treasure for the answer to a riddle that had plagued him mad. Rumors of a treasure that would bring great wealth—and power—to whoever could find it.

“And,” Jun'ko finished. “I'm like, eighty percent sure it's not the power of friendship.”

__________________
Available for Registry Checks
Virtual Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
JauntyHat
What am I reading?
 
JauntyHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In A House
Posts: 1,766
Default

What started out as a quasi-promising adventure soon transformed into a wild-goose chase. It had been five days of hard trekking through the dense jungle and the group had come across: nothing, nada, nil, zilch, zero, and finally no object of importance. The hardest part for Laien was keeping her patience in check. This act lasted for about five hours. Being a highly trained member of the Cloud military did not mean that she was was incapable of acting childish; her temper flared and she was grumbling to herself almost nonstop the entire trip.

Raiko could not believe there were so many foul words one could say towards nature, let alone the amount that existed in the first place. She doubted that there were many more to be said...

“Must we tch-” Laien attempted to speak before a thorny vine pricked itself through the field uniform she was now wearing, “...WALK through the harshest, densest, and probably most disease infected portion of the jungle!?” Her desire for silence had also left itself behind at around day three. “I can understand if we were merely off the beaten path for a few hours, let alone an entire day, but we haven't seen anything resembling a path in four days! I thought you knew where this place was Ju'nko!”

Laien wiped her brow with the back of her gloved hand to discover a trickle of blood was coming down from her forehead. Tracing it back to its source she found a small puncture wound, most likely from the last bush that had been flung into her face.

The humidity of the jungle was getting to Raiko as well, although she kept mostly to herself.

“Perhaps...” the small shinobi said slightly out of breath, “Whatever it is we are looking for is just passed that thick set of trees ahead? I can't see past them at all.” Raiko said more to the group rather than just Laien.

“Keiji. Perhpas you can enlighten the girl” Laien began “Because that is the twelth time she has said such a thing... I have been counting after the first several instances... I have found no ill will behind our guides terrible sense of direction but I do not like being trudged through a forest for nearly a week without an end goal in sight!”
__________________
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like honey.

Last edited by JauntyHat; 04-04-2014 at 10:39 PM..
JauntyHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump