iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
Jami
Pretentious Douche
 
Jami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 5,171
Default [Event] Hunters Gather

The Jintek mission office was cramped and noisy. The small building had never been intended to handle this many occupants at once as nearly two dozen men and women stood wedged between the front door and a counter, where a pair of woman tried to take names and information for registration. News about the Lac attack had circulated quickly and Jintek's offer of a bounty had traveled even faster. The shinobi in the office mingled with ronin and mercenaries all looking for a slice of the hefty reward – enough on the end zeroes to make a banker blush.

A door behind the counter opened and an older, stern looking man walked out from a back room. He wore a doctor's coat and conferred with the two receptionists briefly. When he stepped away from them, he cleared his throat loud enough for all the registrants to hear, and soon they fell quiet as they waited.

Thank you all for coming in on such short notice. As I'm sure you all know, one of our forward stations, Camp H, was recently destroyed by what we believe to be a native Lac. Jintek is considering this an unmotivated attack and would like the culprit apprehended.” He paused. “That said, this is Seirei no Shima, and it'd be unwise to let you all roam the jungle freely like a simple manhunt. We've arranged you all into teams accounting for national allegiance and skill set...let's see here...” The man glanced down at a clipboard one of the receptionists slid into his hands, then began reading names in sets.

...and Cell 8 is Ishiburo Goban, Saitsuki Yori, and Nakamura Jun.” He pointed as he read. “Find your teams, make preparations, and retrieve the Lac.

Within moments, a girl bounded over to the two men, her long braid trailing behind her. “Hello friends! My name's Nakamura Jun, which is totally a boy's name, but my parents are, like, kind of hippy-dippy.” The girl, Jun, was dressed in a fringed skirt and an open coat over a short halter top. She was decked out in accessories and wore thigh high stockings despite the heat of the jungle island. Jun smiled wide, her green eyes sparkling. “Let's go already!


Last edited by Jami; 03-20-2014 at 04:42 PM..
Jami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:05 AM   #2
Kaen
Editor Doomsayer
 
Kaen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Finding A Better End
Posts: 4,659
Default

Yori hadn't exactly come to Seirei no Shima to take in the sights, but this was entirely too much excitement for his liking. Counselors at Konoha had advised against taking stressful missions, and mostly Yori had intended to follow their advice . . . But when zeros started lining up on the end of checks his mercenary nature came to the front, and so here he was, in a crowd of killers, ready to go on the hunt for a Lac with enough power to decimate a camp all by itself.

He was easily one of the youngest in the room, still a child by physical measures. The shinobi and Ronin in the room dwarfed him nearly without exception, much to his irritation, and he found himself standing on the tips of his toes to try to peek over the crowd to get a better idea of what exactly was happening. It was just messy all around. He was happy when they finally divided them up into teams; Yori zeroed in on the monolith of a man that the doctor had pointed out; the sign for hidden stone was etched into his forehead protector. Yori adjusted his own where it hung around his neck, self-conscious.

The last member of their group came bounding in, bubbly as could be. Yori didn't see a forehead protector on her at all, but she didn't really seem like a ronin. Maybe she'd elected not to wear one? Not important. "Saitsuki Yori," he said, pressing his fingers over his heart and giving the girl a slight smile. "But yeah, let's move out." The quicker they could get along with things the less time they would have to question his age and experience, and Yori wasn't in the mood for that.
__________________
Cloud GM
Shinshi Clan GM
~ Tsuriau Clan GM

Kurayami ~ Real Monster | Yori ~ Unfurling Fire | Ayaka ~ Silent Dissident
Kyou ~ Caged Cat | Masuyo ~ Lurking Liar | Rina ~ Serial Adventuress
Shiori ~ Cynical Seer | Kinsha ~ Pure Poison | Miyu ~ Amoral Mage

I am [Open] To Registry Requests. No, seriously, ask.
Kaen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
GranspearZX
Engi's Favorite Old Goat
 
GranspearZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,633
Default

A rook and... two pawns? Interesting.

Ishiburo Goban regarded the two youths with a raised eyebrow as the teams filtered toward one another. It felt a lot like being introduced to a genin team for the first time, though he was fairly certain they were both more experienced than that. Still, they were relative unknowns to him, and Goban approached the situation, such as it was, with an open mind.

He wasn't supposed to have been here. Originally, he was supposed to be helping another clan member in Swamp Country--an attempt to build a trading post for the Ishiburo into Lightning Country. Eventually, he ended up on Seirei no Shima because of a summons from Hidden Stone. Goban was largely convinced that it was because of his proximity; as far as he knew, there were no Stone shinobi in Water Country.

Goban actually seemed just fine with the crowds and the subsequent chaos. He was already outside, clear of most of the background noise, when Yori and Jun came toward him. The both of them seemed to be a distinct flavor of impatient, prompting the Iwa jounin to raise a single eyebrow at their hurry. Then again... maybe they were thinking about the bounty? Goban sighed at the two of them. Pawns it is.

"Call me Goban. And this--er, stand back for a minute..." Goban turned around and formed a few handseals. He crouched and placed his hand on the ground and a low rumble began from beneath them. Jinzo rose from the area just ahead of him in a swirl of stone and dirt, towering over the three of them. "...and this is Jinzo."
__________________

Currently [OPEN] to character registry checks.
Currently [OPEN] to item/jutsu registry checks.
Got a Mist question? PM me.

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to ignore you if you're a jerk. #CAPSCAPSCAPS
GranspearZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Jami
Pretentious Douche
 
Jami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 5,171
Default

Jun nodded as the two men introduced themselves and fidgeted with her hands a bit, fingers together.

Ah~, it looks like a ti-” Jun looked up at Jinzo, then put one hand over her mouth and shrank back a bit. “I mean, that's pretty neat! Some kind of stone puppet thingy, but without strings. I bet it even talks!” She seemed to recover from whatever embarrassment had hit her, then turned to lead the boys out of the Jintek mission office. The crowd surged through the single doorway for a bit – at least one team of four opted to all shunshin out of the building – but eventually Jun, Goban, and Yori got back to the street.

Alright, so, like, this Jintek camp was supposed to be way north east of Last Landing, I think. Close to the mountains, which means if it was a Lac, he, like, went way far into the jungle. I was pretty sure they didn't go into the forest unless they had to!” She pointed to the northeast, then made a few wild, meaningless gestures as she continued. Jun crossed her arms and tipped her head a little. “Even then, though, I don't really know how to track down someone we don't know much about...

She ran a few steps ahead and turned to face Goban, Jinzo, and Yori with a smile. “But in that case, I guess we'll just have to get to the scene first, before anyone else can pick up the trail! Last one there is a rotten nukenin!” Jun winked and turned again before dashing into the edge of the jungle; the girl vanished almost instantly leaving just a narrow path of broken branches.
Jami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
Kaen
Editor Doomsayer
 
Kaen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Finding A Better End
Posts: 4,659
Default

Yori raised an eyebrow when he saw Goban conjure a massive creature of earth from the ground. It was far from the most absurd thing that Yori had seen . . . "Neat," Yori said, nonplussed. "Some kind of modified clone, I'm guessing." Why exactly Goban had chosen to give his clone a distinct name Yori was not sure, but he supposed that in the end it wasn't all that important.

"Nah, they usually don't." Yori said, turning his head to face the jungle and peering into thick shrubbery. The pamphlet Leaf had made them read before he came; 'So You Want To Survive Spirit Island?' had information aplenty about the Lac and their justified fear of the jungle. "But I guess they don't usually destroy whole camps either, so we're probably dealing with an outlier." He opened his mouth to add something else, but Jun was already pushing ahead with the conversation. Yori frowned, unsure if she was running him over on purpose or because that was just the way she worked.

There wasn't much warning; with a wave, a bounce on her toes and a bubbly challenge Jun was off, and fast. Yori stared after her for a short moment before tearing after her at inhuman speed, following her trail, watching her back as it darted through the undergrowth, almost a blur. It took everything Yori had to keep up with the girl as he ducked under branches and leapt over roots as tall as he was. Yori had half a mind to force his body to greater speeds to best keep up, but it wouldn't work for a sustained run; he would have just fallen further behind.
__________________
Cloud GM
Shinshi Clan GM
~ Tsuriau Clan GM

Kurayami ~ Real Monster | Yori ~ Unfurling Fire | Ayaka ~ Silent Dissident
Kyou ~ Caged Cat | Masuyo ~ Lurking Liar | Rina ~ Serial Adventuress
Shiori ~ Cynical Seer | Kinsha ~ Pure Poison | Miyu ~ Amoral Mage

I am [Open] To Registry Requests. No, seriously, ask.
Kaen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
GranspearZX
Engi's Favorite Old Goat
 
GranspearZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,633
Default

"Fucking..."

"...kids."

Goban's gloved palm met his forehead and Jinzo sighed audibly as Jun sprinted off into the jungle before either of them could react. It wasn't the most auspicious start, and Goban immediately resigned himself to the possibility that, at any moment, this could turn into a rescue effort. He was no stranger to having impulsive partners, but it wasn't any less trying on his patience.

Yori, too, was gone before he had chance to say anything. "Damn it! Jinzo-"

"Right. I'm ready."

Goban's hands moved rapidly and, just as Yori disappeared into the brush, Jinzo's stone form crumbled, reforming instantly into two golems approximately Yori's size. The two golems darted into the woods after the two impatient shinobi, leaving the Iwa-nin to trail after them. He could have just had his golems tackle the both of them, but that seemed largely unnecessary. It didn't seem like the most endearing of impressions to make, but the stonemason hadn't yet ruled it completely out as an option.

I can't even see the other side of the board yet. Wonderful.
__________________

Currently [OPEN] to character registry checks.
Currently [OPEN] to item/jutsu registry checks.
Got a Mist question? PM me.

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to ignore you if you're a jerk. #CAPSCAPSCAPS
GranspearZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
Jami
Pretentious Douche
 
Jami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 5,171
Default

Jun rushed through the jungle, her braid whipping through the air as the only part of her really in sight to Yori and Jinzo. She moved expertly, dodged through branches and brush as if some sort of cross between a Rain shinobi and a ghost. As the group left Last Landing behind, the natural world of the island took over and the jungle truly rose up around them. The trees towered, the light dimmed, and unknown things moved just out of sight, hopefully put off by Jun’s mad dash. The run continued for a few minutes relatively unimpeded until Jun came to a sudden stop and waited for the boys to catch up.

Oooh, neat.

A bulky tiger lay on the ground, either unconscious or dead, its body wrapped in prickly vines. The creepers tightened around the beast and pulled it in fits and starts across the dirt towards a massive yellow bulb that hung from the lower branches of a nearby tree. The pitcher plant tilted towards the ground as the tiger inched closer, revealing a gaping maw full of tiny thorns and something wet that smelled like honey and bile. Jun watched, curious, then pointed at a few spots nearby.

There’s a whole bunch of them.

Indeed, the trees out here thinned, but nearly a dozen six foot pitcher plants hung spread out in vision. A few looked to be digesting their latest meals and others sat empty, between healthy and leathery with hunger. Jun began to move forward again, this time at a slow walk while she kept her eyes on the ground for trip vines. She stuck her tongue between her teeth in utter concentration.

I heard the night hunters live in places like this and steal food from the plants. That’s how they learned to look human!” The plants swung at her shouting, though Jun didn’t seem to notice.
Jami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
Kaen
Editor Doomsayer
 
Kaen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Finding A Better End
Posts: 4,659
Default

While Jun was quick, she at least wasn't so fast that Yori couldn't keep up. He arrived when she did, leapt into a tree and peered down from the branches at the plant . . . things that Jun had discovered. It reminded Yori of stories he'd heard of the forest of death, though he had never been himself . . . Well, then. He supposed this was telling. Yori had seen a lot of things, and the plants did not frighten him, but they did make him a bit queasy. He imagined what it would be like to be snared by the vines and dragged into the plant's mouth . . . and promptly stopped imagining. Plants were supposed to burn fairly well, of course. But then again, plants weren't supposed to i]eat tigers.

While Jun may not have noticed the way the plants around them reacted, Yori certainly did. Yori held an image in his mind, made a single seal and leapt down from his perch, landing quietly on the ground. He moved quickly across the forest floor until he was within reach of Jun and tapped her on the shoulder.

Yori held the forehead protector around his neck so she could see it clearly, but the symbol for hidden leaf was gone. Where it had been was now an etched picture of one of these bulbous plants with an enormous ear attached. They can hear, he hoped that Jun would be able to intuit. He turned around and showed the image to Goban as well. The plants had no eyes to see with, and they had started to get restless when Jun shouted . . . Of course it could hear. And while so far they seemed to be scavengers, Yori did not want to bet on it.

OOC: Used Etainoshirenai no Fugou
__________________
Cloud GM
Shinshi Clan GM
~ Tsuriau Clan GM

Kurayami ~ Real Monster | Yori ~ Unfurling Fire | Ayaka ~ Silent Dissident
Kyou ~ Caged Cat | Masuyo ~ Lurking Liar | Rina ~ Serial Adventuress
Shiori ~ Cynical Seer | Kinsha ~ Pure Poison | Miyu ~ Amoral Mage

I am [Open] To Registry Requests. No, seriously, ask.

Last edited by Kaen; 03-24-2014 at 03:52 AM..
Kaen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
GranspearZX
Engi's Favorite Old Goat
 
GranspearZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,633
Default

There were several things happening at once. Getting flustered would have been almost understandable, but Goban seemed fine. The two iterations of his golem weren't there simply to catch up to Jun and Yori; Jinzo would do what he could to protect them. Which, admittedly, wasn't much. Their strength had been vastly diminished in exchange for their speed, and while he could have just as easily sped up himself, instinct told him that caution was a much, much better option.

He stopped when he was well within sight of Yori. The second copy of Jinzo was a few feet behind the Konoha shinobi, while the first was moving much more slowly towards Jun, careful not to do anything that was particularly loud. In hindsight, it was a good thing that the Rabbit seal was in effect; making Jinzo smaller meant that he was much more quiet, and Yori's picture was crystal clear on that front.

That's pretty damn clever, actually.

He nodded in acknowledgement and focused on the golem nearest Jun. Focusing on the image of a shield, Goban formed a single handseal; Jinzo #1's entire right arm, thinning a little as it became a blade instead. He didn't see fit to repeat Yori's warning to Jun... If anything, he anticipated her not listening at all. Neither Goban nor the Jinzos dared make a sound, though... He could only hope that this time he was wrong.
__________________

Currently [OPEN] to character registry checks.
Currently [OPEN] to item/jutsu registry checks.
Got a Mist question? PM me.

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to ignore you if you're a jerk. #CAPSCAPSCAPS
GranspearZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
Jami
Pretentious Douche
 
Jami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 5,171
Default

Jun looked down at Yori's forehead protector, confusion clear on her face. After a moment of intense processing, which almost seemed enough to put smoke out through her ears, she snapped her fingers and smiled wide. “Oh, ooooh, you're saying that the plants can hear the words that we're saying like if they had big ears? That's totally amAZING!!” By the end of the sentence, Jun was practically screaming, and she hopped in place like a little kid. The pitcher plants swung steadily and, beneath the rest of the background noise of the forest, the sounds of vines stretching and searching over the ground was clear.

She winked at Yori. “Don't worry, though. They don't call me The Bloom-in-Darkness Legendary Black Lady Jun for nothing.

Jun swiped one arm out to the side, her index and middle finger held together. Small purple flower petals streamed out of her jacket sleeve – nightshade. The first petal clung to her fingers, the next to the first petal, and so on until she had a two foot chain of flowers attached to her hand. Jun slashed the chain through the air, but it went rigid like a steel blade, and chunks of vine and underbrush went flying every direction around her.

A kind of thin screech echoed from the nearby plants and they shuddered. The creeper vines started to retract as Jun stood there, triumphant. She waved the flower sword at Yori and Goban, getting close enough to hitting either of them to make even a sennin nervous. “See, see, isn't this cool? This is one of my signature techniques, but I haven't come up with a cool name for it yet. It's really useful out here in the jungle since there's flower all over the place, right? Don't be jealous though!” Jun giggled to herself, blushing with one hand to her cheek.

Ahead, a man moved between the trees. One of the Lac, his dark skin was covered in lines of red and orange, glowing hot like fissures in cooling magma, and a short cloud of smoke followed him like a cloak. The ground sizzled beneath his feet and when he turned to face the shinobi, he stare at them with empty sockets, his eyes just points of yellow light.
Jami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump