iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:31 AM   #1
Jami
Pretentious Douche
 
Jami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 5,171
Default [Event] Temple Run

The Kanshinin had no office or headquarters, not officially. In Last Landing, they maintained a cross between a temple and a clinic, providing a place for sailors and travelers to worship and receive cheap medical care. It was here that they arranged various contracts and missions with the shinobi, ronin, and mercenaries who came to the island's primary port. At the moment, though, the Kanshinin temple sat nearly empty with just a few old men in robes tending to a hearth in the back of the central room, and one much younger man waiting near the entrance.

"Ah, good, I see you found the place alright. Hard to miss, right?" The man smirked - the temple was built largely of brick and stone, surrounded by wood and tin shanties in Last Landing. "My name's Okasawa Taisuke, and you'll be escorting me into the jungle shortly. The ruin we're headed to isn't super far, but with everyone freaking out, it might take a little longer than normal."

Taisuke is dressed somewhere between the Iron samurai and the Fire monks, wearing a hakama and a few pieces of wooden armor, but also heavy rosary beads around his neck and wrists. A matched katana and wakizashi set sit at his hip with little sun and moon charms hanging from the guards, respectively. His dark hair is shaggy and his eyes are sharp - from the scars over his arms and chest, it's obvious he's survived more than a few bad fights.

"You're all from Leaf, right? Lucky me, maybe you won't bicker like most of the travelers do. If you have any questions, now's the time. Once we're out of Last Landing, we need to be quick."

Jami is offline  
Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Kana
Sir Kana of Furyville
 
Kana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,129
Default

This place was completely different than what Takeo had ever seen before. The trip was something else too as was obvious from his turning stomach the entire boat ride. As far as the Chuunin was concerned, there’d only be one more time on a boat and that was to head back to real land. This couldn’t be considered that…there was nothing. The buildings around were barely habitable and this giant rock temple in front of them didn’t seem like it could withstand too much more nature.

But here he was…on this new island sent as sort of a scouting unit with two fellow Leaf shinobi, Aburame Tetsumi and Nara Hitomi. Takeo was familiar with both of them…one of them more than the other but in a situation like this that didn’t matter too much…or at least he hoped that it wouldn’t matter.

As Takeo’s grey eyes scanned over the expanse of the temple, he couldn’t help but wonder what exactly they were doing out here. They were to escort this man, Taisuke, but he seemed quite capable himself. That only meant that there were more dangers deeper in the jungle. It was both exciting and terrifying…but neither were really bad.

”What exactly are we going to find in this jungle? I doubt that it would be nothing since there are three of us here, including you.” Takeo looked towards their client quizzically. He was dressed comfortably. His plain white shirt hand long sleeves but it was loose and his pants were equally comfortable. He figured that a jacket would be a bit too much for the jungle and his sword was sheathed comfortably at his waist.

There was really only one thing that he knew…he’d have to keep his relationship with Tetsumi on the back burner. Emotions could only tend to get in the way and Hitomi wouldn’t shut up about it if she found out.
__________________
Rain GM/Sand Secondary


Items/Swaps
Kana is offline  
Old 03-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
Will of Fire
:)
 
Will of Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,215
Default

Hitomi had heard... things... about Seirei no Shima. They were probably stories that had been warped with the passage of time and various adjustments through each progressive teller, but once the girl laid eyes on the fabled isle herself, she couldn't help but be impressed. Shocked. Intimidated. Seasick. All of that.

It seemed a little odd, perhaps, that she'd been grouped together with a couple of chuunin for a mission in a foreign and, as far as she was aware, unexplored land. Hitomi would have assumed that a task of this nature would require at least one jounin. Then again, having a jounin would probably require the presence of Asshole-sensei, knowing her luck, and that was not something the young Nara was about to tolerate. The anger ball and the bug tamer would be just fine, thank you very much.

The temple that they'd been sent to find was not much to look at, in all honesty. The young Nara didn't expect much to be hidden away inside, either. What she saw there, however, brought her to a complete halt. She cast a sidelong glance at the Aburame with raised eyebrows that screamed:

HOLY SHIT THAT GUY IS GORGEOUS!

His words almost didn't register in her mind. When they did, however, she wondered something similar to the question that Takeo had voiced. This fine specimen certainly appeared to be able to fend for himself. Why would a bunch of Leaf shinobi be called in to escort him somewhere? Just what was out there that he might need protection from? Why had previous groups apparently failed to do so? How long was this going to take?

There were many questions rising in Hitomi's mind as she considered the situation. The only one that actually exited her lips, however, was perhaps a bit less than effective.

"How you doin?"
__________________



Please do not request registry checks. I'll get to it soon enough.

Last edited by Will of Fire; 03-18-2014 at 11:30 PM..
Will of Fire is online now  
Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
Oakapea
avatar of the bug god
 
Oakapea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 12/f/tokyo
Posts: 1,929
Default

Tetsumi had learned to trust her gut, as her gut was filled with several hundred chakra-sensitive bugs with nervous dispositions. What is it, guys? she thought, knowing she wouldn't receive an intelligible answer. Is Takeo going to be sick again? Is Hitomi about to jump this guy? The kikai, predictably, had no concept of humor, and murmured uncertainly about power and home Tetsumi believed the first part—her hair was already on end—but the second made no sense.

The muttered an order, and a small number of kikai crawled up her sleeves and took up station in her hair. She had recently learned the value of having eyes everywhere, and trusted the bugs to let her know when something particularly suspicious was going on. They didn't stay still, instead moving agitatedly, but it would have taken a very keen observer indeed to spot the tiny black shapes in Tetsumi's equally as dark hair. I should warn the others, she thought, but Takeo's question indicated a healthy level of concern.

Hitomi's... not so much.

The teenager returned Hitomi's incredulous look with a grin and raised brows. "If you ogle any harder he might ignite," she warned, voice low, then tilted her head to indicate a wink. "At least, if you're lucky." Tetsumi said it loud enough for Takeo to hear, thinking he might get a kick out of it. Her next words she addressed directly to Taisuke. "I'm sorry, who's going crazy?" Besides Hitomi, that is. "Are we likely to be attacked by the other factions here? I thought your group was the least partial of this entire mess."
Oakapea is offline  
Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Jami
Pretentious Douche
 
Jami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 5,171
Default

Taisuke put the fingers of one hand to his forehead and grimaced. “Oh, you guys are new. I thought I was getting people with a bit more experience for this.” He sighed, shook his head. “Whatever, just have to roll with it. There's the usual – the cats, the lizards, the snakes. Those Jintek idiots shouldn't be a problem once they see we're not the Lac they're looking for. Although if we run into him...” Taisuke stopped to consider that, one hand cupping his chin. The man nodded to himself, in apparent accord.

The other big companies are out in force, but we should be out of sight, out of mind. And the nobodies are mostly holed up in Last Landing until this all dies down. Really, the jungle's just a warm-up, so don't sweat it too much. Miss Busy-bee here is looking out for us.” Taisuke nodded at Tetsumi, then started walking. He made his way out the door of the temple and into the streets of Last Landing. The walk through town was brief and accompanied by a lot of shouting and men running back and forth, which Taisuke seemed to ignore out of hand.

Once out of the port, though, things started to get quiet, or as quiet as jungle ever could be. The trees stretched up higher than any on the mainland and shrouded the ground in a strange twilight. Taisuke slowed his pace as he guided the shinobi to a narrow path through the brush. Animals, birds maybe, made calls from out of sight, and besides the distant rustling of leaves, it was hard to tell that anyone else had set foot in the jungle. Taisuke pointed to the almost direct north of the landing.

This is the fastest way, but, uh, it goes through a rot. In case that's a problem.
Jami is offline  
Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
Kana
Sir Kana of Furyville
 
Kana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,129
Default

Hitomi’s question combined with Tetsumi’s little quip to the other female caused Takeo to roll his eyes a little bit. Hopefully this wasn’t going to be how she would act for the entire mission. He knew that the Nara was more than capable to hold her own in a fight, but while distracted may prove to be a different story altogether. To be honest, he had never seen either one of his teammates in any sort of real combat. He’d never seen this other guy fight either. The redhead really didn’t like not knowing what anyone could do if shit hit the fan…but maybe it wouldn’t.

Taisuke didn’t seem to be really concerned about what they might run into which may prove to be a good thing. Before there could be any questions though, their client had already begun to move out and Takeo began to move as well. His positioning was so that he’d be a little to the side of Tausike, not wanting to ruin Hitomi’s perfect view while they walked…which was a bit awkward now that he didn’t have jacket pockets to stuff his hands into.

Last Landing seemed to be quite busy and hectic, but Takeo supposed it was to be expected from an expedition port. Surely they weren’t the only shinobi here but he really didn’t want to find one with a different allegiance. It seemed in his mind to be something that could and would go downhill in a hurry.

Takeo was surprised by how relatively quiet the beginnings of the jungle were though. He expected to hear the calls and cries of all kinds of animals. It was almost peaceful…if you ignore the fact that sight and light were extremely limited. His eyes looked towards the guide before looking ahead through the trees. It all just sounded so pleasant…moving through his uninhabited forest with god knows who was around with swamps and marshes thrown in. It almost sounded like some shit out of a fairy tale…but not.
__________________
Rain GM/Sand Secondary


Items/Swaps
Kana is offline  
Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
Will of Fire
:)
 
Will of Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,215
Default

Hitomi shrugged her shoulders and headed out after Taisuke. She probably should have been embarrassed for asking such a silly question, but it honestly didn't bother her in the slightest. It didn't seem to faze him, either. Fair enough, she supposed. It was time to get to business.

Given the bizarre description Taisuke offered, the kunoichi was almost more confused regarding what was ahead than before he'd offered his answer. There were some similarities to things she'd experienced, however, though she wasn't sure if that was such a good thing. "So it is like the Forest of Death on steroids." It made sense, actually. All those behemoth freaky creatures had to originate somewhere. Chances favored it happening right here.

The quiet of the jungle was a little unnerving. Hitomi wasn't exactly frightened of what might be out there, but she was wary. If this was anything like the Forest of Death back home, some weird shit could happen at any moment.

"Rot? What the hell do you mean by a rot?" The teen certainly couldn't imagine anything good bearing that description. Nothing tolerable, even. She was all for taking the fastest route, but if it meant that they were going to encounter some sort of swamp full of bloated carcasses and putrid water, she'd prefer to find another way.

The teen's words were going to be regulated to necessary questions now, she decided. She didn't want to risk giving away their position just to make small talk. She didn't want to take the chance of setting Takeo off and have him try burning down the jungle or... she didn't know what emo bug girls did, actually. Of course she was familiar with the Aburame clan, but she didn't know Tetsumi very well, nor her buttons. It was best to stay quiet and alert. And dry. And behind Taisuke.
__________________



Please do not request registry checks. I'll get to it soon enough.
Will of Fire is online now  
Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
Oakapea
avatar of the bug god
 
Oakapea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 12/f/tokyo
Posts: 1,929
Default

The Aburame listened carefully to Taisuke's description of the possible problems. The three chuunin weren't the first leaf shinobi on the island, but they were near to it; all Tetsumi had had to read on the trip there had been a perfunctory explanation of the politics and a few local legends listed as "suspicious." As the chuunin understood it, her main task as a member of Omoi was reconnaissance. Obviously she didn't mean to throw the assignment in order to get her information, but Tetsumi kept her ears open and her kikai on "record."

"Rot..." she repeated, wracking her brain. The term rang a bell—there had been something, on the hastily-drawn map the first wave had provided. Tetsumi made sure the terrain was level before delving into the mind of the kikai, searching for the image. There. "Rotted Wood," circled in red. Why circled? Underneath, what is that... "Spores." Oh. Tetsumi relaxed her eyes, coming back into herself, but her brow remained furrowed.

"They're the dead woods," she said quietly. "Circular anomalies in the jungle where everything has died. Not lethal to walk through, but they're avoided." The Aburame looked to Taisuke for confirmation as they walked side-by-side, as far as the close trees allowed. "Don't the Kanshinin fear them?"

Tetsumi let one hand rest on the scrolls at her waist. Large displays of wrongness in nature worried her, quite reasonably, and the stench of rot had already reached her nose. There was nothing to see ahead; the "path" was barely better than walking in the jungle itself. It wasn't until the tree line abruptly ended that Tetsumi could see the anomaly for herself. The air felt poisonous. The Aburame reached to equip her breathing apparatus, then paused.

"Catch," she told Hitomi, waiting a moment before tossing the Nara the mask. She had her kikai, if the air was indeed poisonous, and she and Takeo were old hands at the "wait to breathe until my bugs have the antidote" game. At the very least there's no cover out here—we'll be able to see if anything is coming. Tetsumi shuddered. No animal would come here, not without being driven.
Oakapea is offline  
Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 PM   #9
Jami
Pretentious Douche
 
Jami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 5,171
Default

Taisuke nodded. “At least you know a little bit about the island. Don't really know what causes the rots, but as long as you're careful, they're not too dangerous. Just don't touch any of the mushrooms and we'll be fine.” He spoke to everyone as he walked, but looked over his shoulder at Hitomi to punctuate. Taisuked turned his head back to face forward as he took the first step into the dead grove.

This particular copse was a few hundred feet across and the ground was covered in a fine layer of gray dust, mostly disintegrating leaves. A couple big tree trunks lay across the wood, but otherwise there were no reminders that this spot used to be a forest. Instead, mushrooms sprung up all over the circle, most of them from the earth but the largest were rooted to the fallen trees. Little foot high mushrooms sat together in clusters and occasionally one would shake and release a puff of yellow spores that showered the ground below. On the trunks, the mushrooms got to ten feet high with giant, folded vents along the underside.

Taisuke stopped long enough for the shinobi to get their bearings. “Just...take careful steps. The regular ones can't hurt you unless you eat them, but the bigger ones will drop you before you even know what's going on.” Taisuke started forward, moving from patch of clear ground to another. As he put one leg over a trunk to step over it, Taisuke paused again and froze up.

Something inside the tree hissed.
Jami is offline  
Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
Kana
Sir Kana of Furyville
 
Kana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,129
Default

Hearing the actual description of what a Rot really was, Takeo was not enthused at all. A sigh escaped his lips before watching Tetsumi look to Taisuke. The redhead’s eyes squinted a little bit but decided to shrug it off and keep walking. His eyes stayed focused on what was going on around them and his jaw slightly dropped when he saw the size of the mushrooms that were around.

Takeo’s head craned up, following the stalk of one of the mushrooms and he looked to the vent on the bottom. If this fungus got angry…all hell would fall from the sky and it would more than likely be lethal. It appeared that the Aburame had the same idea as a gas mask was tossed towards Hitomi. That was good… Tetsumi had bugs, the other kunoichi had the gas mask…but where did that leave Takeo? It wasn’t really looking good for him, but what could he say about it? At the same time though…he was familiar enough with Tetsumi and it wasn’t like she hadn’t filtered her own lungs for him…that’s probably exactly what she had in mind.

”I’m not really a fan of mushrooms…they never really appealed to me, so I don’t’ think you’ll have to worry about me eating one.” Takeo decided to take up the rear of the line, making sure that if anything came from behind the group that he’d have a chance in stopping whatever it was…or at least giving everyone else enough time to get a plan together.

Before he knew it though, their guide had frozen and Takeo stopped, almost falling over a mushroom. He then caught his balance and gave off a sigh of relief before hearing the hissing from the tree. Instinctively his hand went to the hilt of his sword while his other hand lifted the sheath. Nothing was going to surprise him coming from this tree.
__________________
Rain GM/Sand Secondary


Items/Swaps
Kana is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump