iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
Will of Fire
:)

That trademark smirk swept across Hitomi's features when she realized what sort of predicament Taisuke was trying to figure out. Part of her wanted to see how he'd decide to handle it, but part of her also didn't want to see any weird undead parts that might gross her out. The teen opted to turn her gaze downward and use a hand to shield her face from the dressing boy.

She glanced up when he began speaking again, admittedly a teeny bit disappointed to see him fully clothed once more. The explanation of his marking and the task he'd been put in place to accomplish made some amount of sense, now that he took the time to offer up the information. It would have been much more effective before she and her team had trekked into the jungle after Taisuke, but it was a little late now. The teen breathed a small sigh of relief at hearing the time frame of the supposed escape that could have endangered the world.

"Seems kind of weird that shinobi aren't called out here more often to take care of some of the... problems... here. Especially if you're on your own and some of the crap you need requires chakra to work." Hitomi wondered how long that bijuu tracking device had been inactive before she and Takeo were able to get it working.

"Are you really going to be able to handle this amount of work on your own out here? There were a lot of... things... to keep track of according to that device back there." The Nara wasn't trying to imply that another failure was inevitable, but it certainly was a possibility.

"Do you have to report to someone out here? Like... the people who locked you in the contract? What happens if you ever did decide to leave?"

It was all very fascinating to the young kunoichi. She just couldn't help but rattle off all of her questions as they came.

Please do not request registry checks. I'll get to it soon enough.
Will of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:04 AM   #12
Jami
Pretentious Douche

Well, most of the problems didn't start until recently, when those corporations got their expeditions funded and backed. Before that, Last Landing just resupplied sailors every once in awhile and the Kanshinin just made sure the Lac and the foreigners stayed on good terms. The island was dangerous, sure, but not if you stayed around here or on the shore. Slicer crabs notwithstanding.” Taisuke wagged a finger to himself – the island crasher course information hadn't mentioned anything called 'slicer crabs'. He sat on his bedroll and leaned back on his hands.

I wasn't supposed to be the only one here. The rest of the dead guys have really died or left, but we still had some fresh blood coming in, just not much. But...I shouldn't really tell you this...” he rubbed the back of his neck and glanced around the barren hut, “the living Watchers disappeared. Some of them went after the bat when he got loose and didn't come back, and then once all the mainlanders showed up, the rest got picked off one by one. So I'm pretty sure I'm the last person on the island who knows what's going on. At least the only one who knows and isn't responsible.

Taisuke sighed. “You're right, though, I really can't handle all this on my own, which I guess is why I picked you three. I figured, if anyone was going to understand the bijuu anymore than I do, it'd be Konoha. Or, well, Otogakure, but they seem the type who'd want to do something bad with them in the first place. A Sound nin might have actually listened to Kizetsu's offer and then we'd all be really dead.
Jami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
Will of Fire

“Slicer crab? What the hell is a slicer crab?” Hitomi had never heard of such a thing, and she didn’t much like the sound of it. She couldn’t claim to be surprised, however, because she’d already run into a giant two-headed viper and a bug made of chakra and douchebaggery. A slicer crab seemed like something she might be able to handle.

“If something happens to you, then that’s a lot of knowledge lost, isn’t it? Maybe you should share what you know with more people so that they can help you or something.” Hitomi didn’t know much about what it was like to be in the sort of potion that Taisuke was in, with the limitations that he had, but it seemed like his job was important and dangerous enough to make plans for the future. Someone had to keep it going, didn’t they?

“How’d they manage to get the bat under control again?” The teen wanted to know in case she was ever sent out on a similar assignment. If another one managed to escape the island, it was going to take more than Taisuke to get the situation under control. Hitomi assumed that it would be far more difficult to beat a bijuu into submission when it was trying to rampage over large swaths of land rather than huddling in a tunnel underground.

“I definitely wouldn’t have taken Kizetsu’s offer. That was obviously a trap. I would have killed Tetsumi and Takeo if they’d tried, too, to be quite honest. We’d all be better off.” She laughed, though it was only partially a joke. She probably would have slain her own comrade in such a situation if it had come down to it.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:52 AM   #14
Jami
Pretentious Douche

They're about three feet tall and eight across with these nasty claws that are sharp and serrated along the inside. Hence the name.” Taisuke mimed a pair of crab claws and kind of waddled around the room with his legs splayed apart. He snapped at the air a few times. “Damn near the only thing that goes into the water and doesn't get bothered by pale sharks, and one of the few animals the Lac will actually hunt. The babies are regular crab sized and don't have shells like iron plate yet, so they're good eats.” In just a few seconds, Taisuke provided perhaps the first clear explanation of anything on the island offered to the Leaf shinobi since they'd arrived. He paused his pantomime long enough to hum a little, looking vaguely hungry for an instant.

I don't actually know that much. I mean, regarding the bijuu specifically, if that's what you mean. I was pretty bottom rung back in the day – people around to tell me what to do and what I did and didn't need to know. But...I suppose you're right. It looks like I might be the closest thing to an expert out there now, huh?” Taisuke chewed his lip over that thought, which clearly didn't sit well with him. He sighed through his nose. “Maybe I can write some of it down, at least so everyone knows what to expect if I'm not here to take care of it.

I wasn't there when they took care of the bat, but from what I heard, he wasn't like Kizetsu. The bug had just barely coalesced enough to hold a solid shape and you saw what kind of power that was. The bat, though, he managed to hit tailed status before they caught him, after he shot through the barrier.” The samurai monk paused briefly, then started again. “Destroying the bat is basically impossible, so they put him in a host. And by the time they got back here, the first expeditionaries had started scouting out the island.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #15
Will of Fire

Hitomi scrunched her nose up in distaste at the description Taisuke offered of the so-called slicer crab. That didn't sound like something she wanted to run into while meandering on the island... though... none of the stuff she'd seen while there had been particularly fun or inviting. She shrugged her shoulders and simply figured that it was all part of the same barrel of bullshit she'd been dealing with since stepping foot on the island.

"You should write it down. If I get called out here to deal with them, I'm going to be pretty annoyed if you're not here and you didn't leave me a guide to kicking bijuu ass or something." Hitomi crossed her arms in feigned irritation. Deep down, she really hoped that she wouldn't have to come here too often to chase chakra beasts across the world. That did not sound like much fun, nor did she think she could survive long while doing it. She'd have to be a walking dead guy, too.

"Tailed bat? That shit must have looked crazy." Hitomi couldn't really even imagine it. She tried to contort her mental image of Kizetsu into a big, angry bat with a tail, but it didn't seem to fit or make sense. All she came up with was an overgrown rat with wings that had electricity sparking between its beating wings. Ew.

"Wait... what barrier? Are they just caged here? And who the hell would be able to contain a tailed bat made of chakra? That sounds dangerous." The kunoichi knew that there was a term for that, but she couldn't recall what it was at that moment. The questions floating through her head were clearly too distracting. "Was that something they found a willing person to do? Or is that, like, punishment or something? Wouldn't a bijuu kill someone like that to get free? I would."

Old 04-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #16
Jami
Pretentious Douche

I'll see what I can do. I knew they were growing more active, but I didn't realize so many of them were awake enough to register on the stone...” Taisuke crossed his arms and hummed a little, then counted off on his fingers, up to five. “Kyofuu, Musaboru, Kizetsu...the spread of which ones are reviving is strange. I mean, I guess it makes sense that the bat would find a way to escape first, since he's probably the only one who can. He, hm, manipulates motion, the same way you Leaf nin control fire. I figure he managed to just push himself across the barrier somehow.

The bat didn't quite have a tail per se, from what I heard. Once they coalesce, they need a little more time to solidify, and then they 'emerge', so he'd just managed to emerge. I guess his proper name would have been Kyofuu, the Zero-Tailed Bat. The longer they roam free, the more power coalesces and then emerges, which creates a new tail to house it. I don't think Kyofuu's ever had more than three, but the old legends paint that as pretty bad. Talking, like, full on teleportation, momentum reversal, raw kinetic energy, melting stone with vibration. Nasty guy.

But the other two? And the other other two, who are out there doing who knows what?” The boy shrugged. He tipped his head back against the wall of the hut. “I might be able to dig up some old Watcher scrolls about what to expect, but if someone really is targeting the Watchers, then it might be a little risky. And I might try to lay low for a little bit – I'll figure it out.

Taisuke sighed a little. “The island has a barrier that keeps the bijuu from leaving, but I don't really know how it works. And most people can't hold the beasts; Kyofuu burned through like six of them before they found one that didn't get his chakra coils burned out to death. But once the bijuu's inside, provided they aren't basically poisoning the host like that, they're pretty chained down. The bijuu can't really hurt the host itself.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #17
Will of Fire

The Nara drummed two fingers on her chin as she pondered the abilities that Taisuke had described this 'Kyofuu' as having. It had to have been quite a fight to keep something like that under control. "I don't suppose there's any way to really get rid of them for good, huh? I'm guessing that if there was it would have been done already. Maybe if you kill a host? But I guess that would be pretty difficult to do, too." She was thinking out loud more than anything, but it did help her to rationalize new and abstract concepts like this a little easier. Given what he'd said about hosts and the bijuu interaction, it didn't seem that either party really benefited from the relationship, and that it was risky for both.

"Yeah, it would be best to have as much information as possible on the other two, I guess, though you should be careful or your voodoo bandages won't be able to keep up." Hitomi chuckled lightly. It was okay to joke about death with a dead guy, wasn't it?

The kunoichi was rather fascinated with this strange barrier that Taisuke mentioned. He didn't seem to know much about it, but it must have been quite powerful to keep bijuu locked inside... most of the time. Was it chakra? Was it some other energy? She couldn't imagine that it was merely something physical, particularly because she didn't recall seeing anything of note on the way to the island. Then again, she slept for a fair portion of the journey because boats sucked and she didn't like being seasick.

"Who put the barrier in place? Did it need to be repaired after the bat got through it?"

She paused and smirked. "Are you sick of my questions yet?"