Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[River] Eyeraker

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [River] Eyeraker

    "...and for that reason, and that reason alone, I have brought you esteemed individuals together to celebrate! This declaration was met with thunderous applause all across the cabana from the dozens of wealthy guests. "Let's toast! To the future!

    Another cheer went around as glasses clinked together and all manner of colorful fruity beverages were consumed. Spiraling lines of lights sprawled from tall poles that ran the length of the rapidly darkening beach. A cool but pleasant breeze blew inland, occasionally picking up sprays of mist from a distant cliff-side waterfall and delivering it to the far edge of the party's boundary. The young evening looked to be an entertaining one.

    "Only those two? Looking over his glasses the aged countance of Muromochi took a break from telling his favorite story to address a communication delivered from one of his servants. "What happened to the rest?

    The messenger leaned in and whispered something, causing Muromochi to smile just a bit. "Give Miss Hikone my regards then, for a job well done!

    With that Muromochi waved his servant off and rejoined the conversation. "I'm sorry for that, friends. This business just doesn't have a pause button, you know? You can't relax for a second to be on the cutting edge of progress!

    "Isn't that the truth! Hong Feiyan rose her glass again to see if she could tempt anyone into another cheer, but nobody in the small gathering took the bait this time. Seeing as such she effortlessly shifted back into pretending to sip at her beverage. "So, finish the story, you insulted the chief headhunter's son, he grabbed a spear and...

    Another servant in the back of the of the bar began to wave furiously, causing Muromochi to let out an exasperated sigh. "Oh, it never ends. Excuse me for another moment."


    As the elderly party host departed again Hong Feiyan discretely pretended to break off for a smoke break. She let an unlit cigarette hang from her lips and refused several offers from passerbyes to light it, since she absolutely hated the taste of tobacco. "So?" Their back to most of the party she could flip open the small picture of Muromochi for comparison.




    "His eyes looked completely normal to me. Sunagakure really thinks this old fart is hiding a Byakugan somewhere, chief?"
    (Rain Chuunin) Oichi Josuke | (Sand Chuunin) Sawamatsu no Motonubu | (Leaf Chuunin) Hyuuga Kannon
    (Retired Grass Chuunin) Shinshi Gemmei | (Snow Genin) Gonnohyoe | (Mist Genin) Kurusu Ringo
    (Brigade of Light) Chosokabe Muneshige | (Leaf Chuunin) Hong Feiyan
    Shichou Clan GM - Shichou Mission Thread Here!
    Brigade of Light GM - Missions and More!
    I will do any thread, anywhere, anytime. Just PM me!
    Wizlab | Swaps | (AP) | RIP

  • #2
    Sunagakure thinks a lot of things...

    And they had been wrong plenty of times before.

    The smell of the coastal air reminded Daisuke of his early childhood in Garasu. He idly swirled a rose-red spirit in a lowball glass in one hand while smoke from the tip of a lit cigarette in the other danced up his arm. Dressed for the occasion, he looked as if he was meant to be there, though felt entirely out of place and rather naked without his regular trappings.

    He hadn't been to River in months -- not since the last joint-operation he undertook with a shinobi from the Hidden Leaf, Hyuuga Kannon, who was presumed deceased. Hashimoto's SHINRAI station afforded him access to deeper levels of intel from his own village; reports suggested that the very same Kannon's eyes had been expropriated and one of which had been tracked to this Muromochi.

    "It's unlikely he's actually using it," muttered Daisuke, without looking in the direction of the girl from Konoha's ANBU division. He turned in place, shifting his gaze from his drink to the festivities and the sunset horizon beyond as a motley collection of sailing skiffs glided across the water in the distance. Without proper training in the shinobi arts it would be no small feat to muster the appropriate levels of chakra to activate the piercing optical prowess of the Hyuuga -- least of all for an elderly man.

    He might have passed the assignment on to someone else if not for the prospect of reward, both personal and powerful. So long as the eye did not remain in the hands of an unauthorized party, Konohagakure was prepared to part ways with it and allow Daisuke, on behalf of Hidden Sand, to claim the prize for himself in exchange for handling their little problem. Some semblance of vengeance for his fallen friend was almost as attractive -- almost -- though he'd spent a considerable amount of their time together that week wondering if Feiyan was even aware of the conditions of his mission contract.

    He purposefully -- yet casually -- nursed his cocktail as guests mingled with one another in the apparent absence of their host. Liquor eased what little tension he wrestled with.

    Hang on a second... where did he go?
    Last edited by Seikon; 06-09-2020, 12:02 AM.

    SAND CO-SECONDARY GM / STORY MODERATOR
    UNFINISHED | HASHIMOTO DAISUKE | ISHIKAWA EIKO| NADARE



    AP: 21

    Comment


    • #3
      So far the Sand jounin seemed the quiet type, which of course sit with Hong Feiyan just fine. The name of the game that night was discrete. It had taken all her considerable ability to tone down her usual appearance, the unfortunate fetters of ninja work requiring her to present herself at less than one hundred percent of peak performance. After all, the party-goers would no doubt remember someone with her stunning beauty!

      Replacing the photograph she made an affirmative 'hm' noise, no obvious leads yet presenting themselves. All around the event lay numerous displays and artifacts, placed in such a way as to stimulate conversation between the guests. Each object was said to have been collected by Muromochi during his youthful explorer days, but from her vantage point it just looked like a bunch of gaudy junk. Having spent the better part of that morning digging into the history of each display Hong Feiyan already knew the trophies to be mere curios and not worth wasting time on.

      "Oh, hey, did we look at that thing yet?



      "Tch! Hong Feiyan frowned in disappointment as they moved in. "It's just a rock.

      "Aye, good eye! Hong Feiyan could not be surprised, so when Muromochi appeared as if by magic from behind she merely snorted. "Years of the best scientific minds tried their best to determine otherwise, but alas, approaching the class case housing the rather mundane looking grey stone he tapped on it with his weathered fingers. "It's just a rock.

      "I could have told you that. She took her unlit cigarette and tossing it into a nearby potted plant. "Would have saved you a lot of money!

      Now it was Muromochi's time to snort. "Ah, it's not about the money. Never was. He tapped the glass again, this time turning to look Daisuke in the eyes. "It's about the memories, see? I almost died retrieving this rock, out in the far borderlands of Valley Country. Can even scarcely call it a country once you go that far out!

      "Yes, yes. Hong Feiyan feigned disinterest. "We've all read your memoir. Do you want to share anything we wouldn't already know?

      That gave Muromochi a moment of pause, then a small smile spread across his wrinkled face. "How about an exchange? I'm consider myself a collector of ideals, rather than of things, he took a quick sip from a glass held carefully between his thin fingers. "I hear you both come from Kusa no Kuni. Beautiful country, but I can't stand the government. I'm not terribly familiar with your company, either. What exactly is it that you do?
      (Rain Chuunin) Oichi Josuke | (Sand Chuunin) Sawamatsu no Motonubu | (Leaf Chuunin) Hyuuga Kannon
      (Retired Grass Chuunin) Shinshi Gemmei | (Snow Genin) Gonnohyoe | (Mist Genin) Kurusu Ringo
      (Brigade of Light) Chosokabe Muneshige | (Leaf Chuunin) Hong Feiyan
      Shichou Clan GM - Shichou Mission Thread Here!
      Brigade of Light GM - Missions and More!
      I will do any thread, anywhere, anytime. Just PM me!
      Wizlab | Swaps | (AP) | RIP

      Comment


      • #4
        As Muromochi suddenly re-emerged, Daisuke decided a second drink would probably be out of the question -- they'd need to keep their wits about them and at least one sharp eye on their host. The SHINRAI cleared his throat as he prepared the canned response.

        "Well, heh," he chuckled briefly, "I suppose I'm sorry to say that we're a part of that government... in a roundabout way."

        Daisuke shot a quick glance at Feiyan between sentences before flashing a wry smile at Muromochi. He cupped his beverage in the same hand which held his cigarette, extending the now free hand in a gesture of good faith. He feigned a certain amount of weakness as their hands clasped together, intentionally letting his fingers fall slightly limp before the old man's did.

        "Nomura Pensuke. Executive member of the board for a small subsidiary of Mamotou Corporation; we're a private investigations and security firm -- I oversee Human Resources."

        Mamotou, of course, was the singular Daimyo of Grass and head of the company of the same name. To Daisuke's understanding after the time he'd spent working for Kusagakure, the man and his enterprise had many enemies both within Grass Country and worldwide and was enabled to operate under the protection and authority of the Hidden Grass.

        He beckoned for Feiyan to come a bit closer, introducing her alias in the same breath.

        "And this is my personal assistant, Akagi Hina, though I believe you may have met already?"

        SAND CO-SECONDARY GM / STORY MODERATOR
        UNFINISHED | HASHIMOTO DAISUKE | ISHIKAWA EIKO| NADARE



        AP: 21

        Comment


        • #5
          "Oh, yes. Muromochi nodded as he bowed slightly to the guests. "Ms. Akagi, you have a bad habit of scrunching your nose whenever you hear something unpleasant. I couldn't help but notice it when I was telling my maggot story earlier.

          Sure enough Hong Feiyan's nose twitched and her lips turned in a slight grimace. "Not exactly pleasant dinner conversation, is it?

          A croaking chuckle bubble out of Muromochi and he casually rest his elbow on the glass case beside him. "The world isn't a pleasant place. His attention shifted away for a moment as if recalling something. "I suppose you came with the rest of the investors, then. I have so many these days it is hard to keep track. Forgive an old man for his faltering mental capacity.

          "Not that your stamp collection isn't riveting, Hong Feiyan glanced up towards the shadowy, distant cliff, as if more interested in the scenery than the conversation. "But don't you have anything more flashy? Xihua Solutions is supposed to be on the cutting edge of technology, and all I see here is... She gestured at the pebble again, then scrunched her nose.

          Taking the comment in stride Muromochi leaned back and took a deliberate swig of his beverage, chomping on a piece of ice as he did so. "Call our Metsubishi office in a couple weeks and I can get you a tour. This party is to honor collaboration, not to brag about our products. Cooperation is so hard to come by these days that it is worth celebrating. His narrow eyes fell back towards the self-identified Pensuke. "Tell me, Mister Nomura, if you were drowning out at sea with a partner, with only one life preserver between you... He rose his glass suggestively, shaking the two ice cubes inside it and rattling them against the sides. "Do you risk both of you drowning and share it, or do you take it for yourself and doom your companion?
          Last edited by Junge; 06-09-2020, 10:36 PM.
          (Rain Chuunin) Oichi Josuke | (Sand Chuunin) Sawamatsu no Motonubu | (Leaf Chuunin) Hyuuga Kannon
          (Retired Grass Chuunin) Shinshi Gemmei | (Snow Genin) Gonnohyoe | (Mist Genin) Kurusu Ringo
          (Brigade of Light) Chosokabe Muneshige | (Leaf Chuunin) Hong Feiyan
          Shichou Clan GM - Shichou Mission Thread Here!
          Brigade of Light GM - Missions and More!
          I will do any thread, anywhere, anytime. Just PM me!
          Wizlab | Swaps | (AP) | RIP

          Comment


          • #6
            Daisuke -- Pensuke, rather -- exhaled a voluminous cloud of smoke as he pondered on the moral dilemma which Muromochi presented him. He admittedly hated questions of this variety -- they seldom left room to consider all the potential outcomes nor the merit or ability of "himself" and his "unnamed companion," least of all in this particular scenario.

            His immediate instinct, perhaps a reflection of his heart-of-hearts, told him to clutch the life-vest with discrimination, like a greedy child might in an attempt to prevent their favorite toy being taken by another. He was not afraid of the prospect of dying, but he certainly intended to die on his own terms. Worried that further silence might arouse suspicion, he knew he could not risk delaying a response much longer.

            "Whichever of us is more valuable to the world at large should be guaranteed life, of course."

            How much of that was his honest-to-goodness opinion versus a blatant fabrication was anyone's guess.

            "Typically, that means me."

            The same wry smile from just moments before re-surfaced for an encore. He raised his glass and drained it of its remaining contents with a great and final swig.
            Last edited by Seikon; 06-09-2020, 10:59 PM.

            SAND CO-SECONDARY GM / STORY MODERATOR
            UNFINISHED | HASHIMOTO DAISUKE | ISHIKAWA EIKO| NADARE



            AP: 21

            Comment


            • #7
              A breathy, deceptive chuckle escaped Muromochi's lips. "A utilitarian, eh? He looked over at Akagi Hina (Hong Feiyan!), who wore an anticipated smug expression. "And you'd agree with your boss?

              "Of course not! Hong Feiyan itched her nose with pride. "I'd let the little plebeian have the life preserver. I don't need it, I can survive just fine without one!

              That earned a bit of an eye roll from the CEO. "That isn't really the point of the question, Ms. Akagi...

              Catching sight of something occurring behind his conversation partners, Muromochi quickly stood up straight and began looking to depart. "Don't let me keep you young things too long, though! I hope you can stick around for the recital later. But, ah, we all live busy lives, he gave a quick wink. "Don't we?




              (Rain Chuunin) Oichi Josuke | (Sand Chuunin) Sawamatsu no Motonubu | (Leaf Chuunin) Hyuuga Kannon
              (Retired Grass Chuunin) Shinshi Gemmei | (Snow Genin) Gonnohyoe | (Mist Genin) Kurusu Ringo
              (Brigade of Light) Chosokabe Muneshige | (Leaf Chuunin) Hong Feiyan
              Shichou Clan GM - Shichou Mission Thread Here!
              Brigade of Light GM - Missions and More!
              I will do any thread, anywhere, anytime. Just PM me!
              Wizlab | Swaps | (AP) | RIP

              Comment


              • #8
                Is he on to us or just a smarmy old coot?

                Daisuke weighed the likelihood of either scenario. Their mark took off with a spry quality unfit for the typical civilian of his age. He bit the inside of his cheek in hesitation, wondering whether or not to pursue him, or what he might say. A quick look of concern at Feiyan revealed a server coming by with a tray and with that he saw an opportunity.

                "I'll be right back."

                In a few brisk strides -- not too fast as to draw a lot of attention to himself but fast enough to keep pace with Muromochi -- he set his empty glass on the tray in passing and dropped the remainder of his cigarette to the cobblestones and stamped it out beneath the heel of a classy wingtip shoe (of which belonged to the person whose invitations they'd stolen to gain access to the event in the first place). He knelt just as quickly and would have appeared to any onlooker as if he was tying his shoes as he smashed his hands together in a chain of handseals, preparing tricks--

                "Muromochi-san!" called Pensuke, rising swiftly to wade through the more dense group of attendees after him. The SHINRAI eased up along his starboard, interrupting him purposefully. Daisuke doubted that he would make a scene so close to the newest table of guests he seemed intent on charming.

                "Apologies, ladies and gentlemen -- Sir, I believe I had my hands full when we spoke and I would be remiss if we didn't exchange cards. Mamoutou Corp. has expressed interest that I act as a liaison between our organization and you personally. Please accept this token of our good will."

                He fished for a slender brown-paper package -- perhaps a scroll of full of gibberish -- and a separate, ornate metal case held in the lining of his jacket. As he withdrew the card from its gaudy container and set it atop the parcel he sliced away pieces of his own shadow and left them in either object he extended in earnest which then melded with those of his quarry.

                The CEO smiled, excusing himself for a moment. Turning, he scrutinized the gesture briefly before patting down his pockets and offered Daisuke a shrug in consolation. He took the bogus contact information and bait willingly all the same.

                "I admire your confidence, but I'm afraid I'll just have to call you, my boy!"

                Pensuke bowed in understanding and took his leave to meander through the clusters of party-goers, looking back only to see an assistant take what amounted to a planted bug away towards the cliffs. He'd have a good sense of where the man and his most recent acquisitions were now, provided they stayed within range and, if necessary, Daisuke could even sink into his own shadow and pop out from Muromochi's or the package's shadow on the other side.

                Or send a bomb through...

                Approaching Feiyan, he flashed a thumbs up. When he was close enough that she would hear him murmur under his breath he clued her in.

                "It's no Byakugan, but I've got 'eyes' on him and where he's keeping his shit."

                He tried to sound sure enough that he knew what he was doing but couldn't help but wonder if he'd made another mistake and that they were playing into his hand. He lifted his chin in the direction of the waterfall in the distance.

                Jutsu: Shadow Trace (2); Dimension Door (2)
                Last edited by Seikon; 06-27-2020, 11:29 PM.

                SAND CO-SECONDARY GM / STORY MODERATOR
                UNFINISHED | HASHIMOTO DAISUKE | ISHIKAWA EIKO| NADARE



                AP: 21

                Comment


                • #9

                  Overlooking the beach party and sitting atop the far cliff lay the summer residence of one Muromochi Komeda. The two-story glass and steel structure stood as a testament to River Country's modern aesthetic- certainly, Leaf Country's rural wooden buildings. Steel legs elevated the technology magnate's mansion over the churning, swirling river below. Some rooms even boasted glass floors so guests could see River Country's namesake roiling beneath their feet. Many large glass walls in each room let its occupants marvel over the surrounding countryside. All south facing, of course- otherwise how else would you see the grand waterfall? In the minuscule illumination provided in these twilight hours only the sounds and shadows of the nearby water features could be discerned, but trained shinobi like Hong Feiyan could of course navigate in such darkness without leaving a trace.

                  That and the fact her ANBU mask possessed built-in night vision. A smart shinobi knew when to rely on the right tool!

                  Only the chic furniture and occasionally discarded magazine stood in the chuunin's way as she slipped through the dwelling. The place wasn't a space designed for security or protection, and the few cameras it did possess had been easily disabled by her co-infiltrator. Not that a fortress would have repelled Hong Feiyan's legendary skill at subterfuge, but it was nice to get thrown a bone now and then, wasn't it? After a quick exploiting of a critical design flaw in the inner sactum's outer defenses (the doors used basic locks any Academy genin could have undone) the ANBU chuunin slipped in unnoticed. The festooneries and trappings of the fancy dinner party outfit she'd been obligated to wear didn't seem to impede her motion that much- but that was entirely because she'd tossed those dumb heels into the river as soon as the infiltration began.

                  Following the guidance offered by her jounin counterpart she quickly navigated the halls of Muromochi Manor (as it might as well of been called). Her keen mind was well attuned to the thought processes of supervillains like herself and she immediately identified a floor-panel concealed safe near the back of a sizable library stocked with many voluminous bookcases. It also helped that the jounin precisely identified the location of the vault ahead of time but, you know, this was a team effort!

                  She pulled aside a decorative Water Country woven rug and using her expert (Academy level) safecracking skills made rapid work of the supposedly secure vault. With a quiet groan she turned the thick handle and slowly pulled the steel door open.

                  The razor sharp eyes and equally quick wit of one Hong Feiyan rapidly assessed the situation, weighed the options, and made a well reasoned judgment backed by years of experience. "Yo, She squinted again to make sure as she whispered into the communication unit.

                  "Was there supposed to be-"

                  Some of the late night party-goers thought they heard the sounds of shattering glass somewhere in the distance, but the servants all assured them nothing was wrong.

                  What little light did filter through the night sky above cast stark shadows across the compound, especially now that one of its walls had been so utterly and completely sundered. In the babbling book just outside lay a groaning mess of a shinobi trying to find her legs. Hong Feiyan excelled at any task she set her mind too and in this case, it seemed she had made quite a superb wrecking ball.

                  Standing within the heavy contrast of shadow was the chuunin's ambusher. She regarded the scene with a cold but attentive glare. Broken glass crinkled and cackled as it splashed into the river while the shinobi girl tried to keep her head above water. It was a perfect time to follow up with another attack, yet the woman stayed still.
                  assistant

                  H I K O N E


                  She was waiting for something.

                  Last edited by Junge; 06-30-2020, 11:45 PM.
                  (Rain Chuunin) Oichi Josuke | (Sand Chuunin) Sawamatsu no Motonubu | (Leaf Chuunin) Hyuuga Kannon
                  (Retired Grass Chuunin) Shinshi Gemmei | (Snow Genin) Gonnohyoe | (Mist Genin) Kurusu Ringo
                  (Brigade of Light) Chosokabe Muneshige | (Leaf Chuunin) Hong Feiyan
                  Shichou Clan GM - Shichou Mission Thread Here!
                  Brigade of Light GM - Missions and More!
                  I will do any thread, anywhere, anytime. Just PM me!
                  Wizlab | Swaps | (AP) | RIP

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X