Weird, Weird, and Weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird, Weird, and Weird

“Of course I understood all that.” Hong Feiyan scoffed, adjusting the bear shaped ANBU mask to try and get a better look at the pasture the two shinobi stood in. “But like, just to be totally sure, you better tell me again.”

While listening to her Hyuuga companion explain the tracks they were following for the third time that evening Hong Feiyan slipped some more ostrich jerky into her mouth. As expected of Yoshida Farms, the quality was top notch. What a blessing to be able to get the treat on-site for once! Unfortunately, the previous night some malicious actors sabotaged the farm's water supply, threatening to dehydrate all the livestock in the that summer's unusually blistering Leaf Country heat. Prior to that the farm suffered setback after setback as its prized birds kept turning up missing or butchered. Conventional investigating turned up nothing and as usual when the going got tough, shinobi got called in. One KUMA ANBU Agent Hong Feiyan and a young Hyuuga man accompaniment was more than enough, though! Especially since the two spent almost the entire day chasing leads and piecing together an utterly confusing puzzle. Thank goodness the enhanced sight of the Hyuuga finally caught the trail they now followed- not that the clever Hong Feiyan couldn't have used her own Feiyanigan eye powers to have found it it as well, but, you know, it's good to let everyone on the team contribute, wasn't it?

“Got it, Chief” Hong Feiyan nodded with a authority far outpacing her actual understanding. “That all sounds right to me and it lines up with what that little urchin you captured said after we twisted his arm.” With that vote of confidence the two resumed creeping along the grassy field, staying well clear of the flocks of grazing chickens blissfully unaware of their own dire predicament. ”Scoundrels always hide out in secret tunnels, so once we find it there's no way anyone we find inside isn't the culprit! Anyone or anything," She quickly added to cover her bases, "Since we haven't ruled out it being a really angry ghost yet."

Swirls of darkening clouds gathered on the horizon opposite of the setting sun, casting stark shadows even in the early evening sunlight. The breeze carried the smell of smoking meats from far away. It certainly didn't feel like the location where one might uncover the dark underbelly of bird ranching- or at the very least, it didn't fit Hong Feiyan's villain aesthetic very well. Whoever the guilty party was, they sure didn't care about cultivating an appropriate atmosphere of dread and tension!
    Last edited by Junge; 07-27-2020, 08:28 PM.
    (Rain Chuunin) Oichi Josuke | (Sand Chuunin) Sawamatsu no Motonubu | (Leaf Chuunin) Hyuuga Kannon
    (Retired Grass Chuunin) Shinshi Gemmei | (Snow Genin) Gonnohyoe | (Mist Genin) Kurusu Ringo
    (Brigade of Light) Chosokabe Muneshige | (Leaf Chuunin) Hong Feiyan
    Shichou Clan GM - Shichou Mission Thread Here!
    Brigade of Light GM - Missions and More!
    I will do any thread, anywhere, anytime. Just PM me!
    Wizlab | Swaps | (AP) | RIP

A stream of dirt spilled between Hyuuga Yuu’s fingers as he stood up, rubbing his fingers against each other before patting his palm absently against his rump. The dust wasn’t thick with ectoplasm, nor had he heard any ghastly wails, so a really angry ghost wasn’t likely - -

He grimaced and shook his head a few times to get the thought out. Of course a really angry ghost wasn’t likely. Ghosts didn’t exist, probably. Just weird bandage illusions that looked like people you once knew. Everyone knew that. He glanced over at the masked girl with a bit of hesitation. She was part of black ops, maybe she knew something he didn’t. Then again, if there was ghosts, wouldn’t he be able to see them with his special eyes?

“A secret tunnel isn’t out of the question.” In his previous adventure at the farm, he had combated an enemy shinobi in a basement. That was like a secret tunnel, if secret meant carefully planned and stamped by a Fire Country architect and tunnel meant large room. “But I’ve never met a ghost anywhere in Fire Country before.”

At least, he didn’t think.

The tracks didn’t make a ton of sense, and Yuu explained as much to his companion. He could trace the stolen birds in so far that he was definitely tracing large birds, but there didn’t seem to be any tracks that implied human intervention. No carts, no footprints, no nothing. Just big birds.

“The rancher was sure his birds wouldn’t just up and leave. Apparently they’re all very well trained.” He said that, as if the his welted face wasn’t from a particularly aggressive ostrich from a few hours before.

The giddiness of having a real life ANBU assigned to his mission had worn off pretty swiftly as the operation had started - - moving along the tracks of something mysterious had become pretty rote and boring to the young man. He had expected more intrigue and explosions and high level ninjutsu and - -

- - well, something like really angry ghosts. Not birds and stolen property and questionable jerky made from bushmeat. As sweat pooled under his armpits and slicked to the back of his neck, he wondered if the secret tunnel that may or may not exist would be cooler than the hot summer air around it, or stuffy and suffocating. He let out sound of frustration at the thought.

“Hopefully they saw something at the guard post ahead.” He padded the brown sack he tied to the belt that held his ninja tools. “When we drop off these rations maybe they’ll have a stronger lead than just - -”

A chicken nearby eyed the Hyuuga boy suspiciously as he glared at it. “Than just birds.”
    �Nara Shikagerou, Sennin of Leaf.
    �Hyuuga Yuu, Genin of Leaf.
    �Sanada Ema, Chuunin of Leaf.
    �Gushiken Ren, Chuunin of Mist.
    �Hikoboshi no Natsu, Miko of Wind.
    �Sajime Sahori, Jounin of Stone.
    �Kiku-ichimonji Jun'ko, ronin samurai.
    �Hatsuyuki Shiro, renegade shinobi.
    �Keisei Ranko, The Prince of the Keisei.
    Available for Registry Checks
    Engi Tech || Leaf & Stone Secondary GM
    Important NPCs: Higashi

Maybe it's the patterns that make me that made me crazy
    (a r t i f i c a l f a n t a s y)
    (swaps [AP] items)
    (threads)

Comment

“Shouldn't you guys be, uh,” through mouthfuls of food one of the guards pointed at the masked ANBU and intimidating stare of the Hyuuga, “like, be doing more important stuff?”

Delivering a smug huff and standing up with pride Hong Feiyan tapped her chest with a fist. “Supplying the front lines with sufficient resources is one of the most important jobs there can be!” That comment seemed to be met with guarded caution by the group of border guards, so leaving nothing to chance she added “And how else are you going to obey every whim of your slave-driving boss if you aren't properly fed?”

“I wish we had that much to do.” Another guard emptied a flask of wine and have a hearty exhale. “Haven't seen poachers in months since we chased off the last band. Nowadays it's just wolves and the occasional snake...”

“There was the alligator that one time!”

“No, it was a crocodile-”

Despite the farm's imminent doom the sellswords seemed to be in rather high spirits. Or maybe that was the actual spirits at work. Less of the ghost type, more of the cheap booze kind.

“Those eagles, though! I bet they are responsible! Fences don't do jack for eagles...”

“Hawks. Those were hawks.”

“No, dumbasses.” Through a burp one of the guards smacked his companion across the back of the head. “Those are vultures. Vultures don't hunt.”

“But they eat meat! And they're always circling around where the livestock disappear. Very suspicious!”

“Because vultures eat dead things. Put two and two together, imbeciles.”

Under normal circumstances, sellswords like these would be prime suspects. But the Hyuuga had already done his due diligence prior to Hong Feiyan's arrival and turned up empty handed. All of the most likely suspects had already been ruled out.

“No trails,” She leaned down to better discretely conspire through her mask at her companion. “No traces. Mysterious tunnel that we can't find with the Byakugan. You know what I'm thinking?”

“I mean, apart from ghosts again.”
      (Rain Chuunin) Oichi Josuke | (Sand Chuunin) Sawamatsu no Motonubu | (Leaf Chuunin) Hyuuga Kannon
      (Retired Grass Chuunin) Shinshi Gemmei | (Snow Genin) Gonnohyoe | (Mist Genin) Kurusu Ringo

Comment

No trails, no traces - -

That would be a suitable result of ninja work, all things considered, but even ninja might make the mistake of leaving worked earth from Doton or a shard of shrapnel from a broken shuriken or the tinge of gunpower, all subtle enough for regular scrutiny that would unveil itself to the trained Byakugan.

That meant that an aerial assault was the most likely, which worked along with the musing evidence from the perhaps less than dependable sources of the scouts in the guard post.

“From the skies, then.” He said, shaking his head. “I’d hate to think we were dealing someone using wind ninjutsu from Sunagakure, but perhaps a rogue agent.”

Or a rival bird summoner., He thought, as he slid up his sleeve to reveal an inked summoning contract on his arm. He bit down on his thumb and smeared the blood across the center seal and performed a series of handseals. He thrust his hand into the ground and the blood and ink from the smeared seal exploded outwards in a complex summoning ritual. He shouted out the name of the summoning spell - - Kuchiyose no jutsu! - - and there was a violent eruption of smoke and the sound of ruffling feathers as appeared…

“Akikaze,” Yuu said. “Sorry to bother you so soon again.”

The bird eyed him silently, emotion almost impossible to read on his beaked face. His green feathers and the blank headband tied around his neck made him an obvious member of the ninja Eagle clan.

Yuu tried to wait for the eagle to speak, but he wasn’t really the type to chat.

“This is Hong Feiyan - -” He gestured at the girl with him. “We need you to help us investigate the skies around here. Someone’s been poaching birds from a local ranch and getting an and out without a trace on the ground.”

He chopped the air in front of him and held his hand in front of his face in a gesture of quick apology. “You might have to carry me again, I’m sorry.”

There was a sound like a hurmph as the bird turned to eye the girl. “I don’t think I can carry you both, Yuu-san.”

“I’m sure we’ll figure something out. But first thing’s first, can you scout around to see if you - - “

And with a flurry of powerful, flapping wings, the bird was suddenly airborne. Yuu watched him crest into the sky before shrugging and leaning over to the ANBU alongside him. “Some times I think he only accepts this contract to look cool. I heard he’s actually pretty sweet when he’s back at home.”

(swaps [AP] items)
        (threads)

Comment

“Naturally, naturally!” Hong Feiyan nodded with the sage wisdom of an eighteen year old. “Any family would jump at the chance to add a Hyuuga to their ranks. And not just any Hyuuga,” she gave her partner the old double-snap and double-point. “But Investigator Hyuuga Yuu!”

“And under the mighty tutelage of the legendary ANBU Kuma Agent Hong Feiyan, we'll have this whole mystery wrapped up by sundown!”

-

Six hours after sundown nothing had been wrapped up.The last the family saw of the two shinobi was them disappearing into their room at the guesthouse, their hours of investigation having turned up nothing but dead ends. And, since the farm was simply too big to effectively patrol at night, there was nothing else to do but go to bed. “In fact,” she had stated at dinner a few hours prior to their tactical retreat, “We'll do more good for you if we're well rested and bushy-tailed than if we slog through the night without any clue where the next attack will occur. Trust me, I'm Hong Feiyan!”

The night continued without the apparent presence of the shinobi. The more dutiful individuals on the ranch remained vigilant even as the crescent moon struggled to illuminate the grassy fields below. Some of those awake at that hour were workers, and some were guards, but there happened to be a non-human among the nightwatch as well. Yes, when it came to protecting the family, there was only one name you could count on: the matriarch of the Yoshida's Farm's biggest ostrich flock, big Momma Bird Yoshida herself! The prime piece of aviary perfection strutted outside the large stable where most of her brethren now slept soundly. She kept patrolling between two particular knolls as her tiny eyes and whipped around in the impenetrable dark.

Brain the size of a walnut, they said- but size wasn't everything!

It seemed as though the bird moved with a real sense of purpose. Almost all of the farm's guards kept watch over the fences and borders, convinced the culprit must be coming from somewhere outside. Momma Bird seemed dead set on keeping her watch in a very narrow area, though, almost as though she knew more than livestock should.

The night grew colder its shadows only continued to deepen. An otherwise unremarkable set of rolling clouds swept over what little bit of moon was left. The breeze died, and the attentive ostrich stood taller in anticipation.

All the conditions were met.

A blur descended from nowhere, trailed by what could only be described as ethereal clouds of nothing. It emitted not even a whisper as it rocketed down to the earth. Even the air stayed still, as if too afraid to move in the giant phantom's wake. With the pinpoint precision of a predator it fell onto its prey: the seemingly oblivious Momma Bird below.

Yet, as a gaping maw descended towards the helpless Momma Bird, the ostrich seemed no more frightened by the apparition than one would be of a mouse. Instead its steel eyes turned and stared right into the abyss, right into death itself. And right and the last possible moment...

With a poof of henge-dispelling smoke, the shadow demon fell right into the open and waiting claws of one Hong Feiyan.

Any possible scathing one-liner the girl could have screamed was drowned out in the furious, panicked flapping of the massive beast as it realized the trap it had fallen into. It would have possibly started squawking too, but the wires from Hong Feiyan's Bear Claw had already ensnared its beak, and with a mighty yell the chuunin pulled the creature down, preventing it temporarily from taking flight back into the clouds. The heels of her sandals tore up the earth as the dark-feathered vulture pulled at its leash and carried the shinobi along for the ride. Hong Feiyan wouldn't be able to hold it still for long.
          Last edited by Junge; 09-02-2020, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Tsk,” The Eagle tutted, his talons tightly clinging into the back of Yuu’s robes. Yuu, who was trying his best to enjoy being yoinked through the air like he was some small doll, could really only think about how his mother would respond if she saw the talon marks in his combat gear. Even though the whole point of combat gear is that you might get stabbed or hooked or - -

“Vultures!” Yuu called up to the bird, shouting over the sound of his wings flapping. “If Hana was here, we could just sort this all - -”

Akikaze spoke, his voice piercing through the sound of his own wind - - “They’re rogue. Look at the headband.”

Yuu, who’s temples were already swollen with the vein-tell of his Byakugan, struggled for a moment to find Hong Feiyan and her leashed bird while being jerked around in the air - - but sure enough, there was a scratch mark through the empty panel on the mock ninja headband the vulture wore.

Yuu wanted to comment that nukenin marked their headbands in defiance of the symbol of their original village, and it didn’t make a terrible amount of sense to do it to an empty panel, but - -

“Hey, Hong-san! That’s a missing-bird! A rogue vulture! A - -”

I’ll kill all three of you!” The vulture croaked as it struggled to come off the ground against Feiyan’s intentions. “Hidden Art - -

As Feiyan’s leash choked off his incantation, Yuu gestured wildly down at the ANBU. There were more sinister purple dark clouds erupting out of the regular, sinister gray clouds. Bladed instruments - - kunai, shuriken, and the like - - came spilling out in a fan like arc, as if tossed by a skilled bird combatant. They cut off Yuu and Akihaze’s route and sent them diving towards the ground.

Yuu wanted to mention that genjutsu like that didn’t work on the Byakugan, but he was too busy bracing for the sudden impact of the ground below him, his weight tossing off Akikaze’s normally graceful motion. As the pair landed hard into the ground, tossing up dust, he heard the distinct sound of vulture’s wings overhead.

Yuu flipped on his radio communicator, tuning to the special frequency Hong had given him before hand. With the chakra-laden encryption hit his unit, it let out a spark and a squelching screaming static noise exploded through the ear piece.

No - - wait, that was definitely the sound of a shouting Hong Feiyan. “Calm down, calm down, I can’t understand you - - what direction are you headed?“

(swaps [AP] items)
            (threads)

Comment

Yes, as if there had been any doubt! When it came down to it, if unexplainable evil was afoot, you could be sure shinobi antics were involved somehow. After all, the day to day villainy of the ninja world was Hong Feiyan's bread and butter! As the chuunin found herself yanked and jerked from side to side by the nearly house-sized vulture that warm sense of self satisfaction spread through her at having correctly unraveled (part of) the mystery with some (a lot) of help from her Hyuuga partner. Or, well, that warm sensation might be blood. Might be her blood. This rogue summon wasn't pulling its punches.

Nothing a chuunin destined for greatness couldn't handle! With a breathy roar Hong Feiyan twisted her feet in deep, braced herself, and tried in one final herculean effort to ground the giant beast for good. The small chance of that happening evaporated almost instantly, as her triumphant battle cries quickly devolved into “AGH MY LEG” when the multitude of conjured projectiles rained down on her position. Her grip loosened, and with it the noose holding her prey back.

Taking its chance the vulture once again unfurled its mighty wings, blacking out what few remaining stars could be seen as it did so. Only one massive flap was needed to launch the creature airborne and just like its descent it did so without disturbing even the slightest bit of air. The bindings around its crooked beak fell loose and with just one twitch of its featherless head it discarded the chuunin in midair. The chuunin tumbled helplessly for a second, but managed to swing around and fire off the claw in her other hand, barely nicking the monster's long talons and letting her tag along as it rapidly ascended.

Finally rid of its burden the beast wasted not time letting out a ghastly, shrill cry, and the swirling torrent of clouds that heralded its arrival once again began to swath its form. Hong Feiyan's voice made a similar squawk over the communication unit, her tone laden with numerous competing emotions. ”Up!”, she croaked. ”Really, really up!”

The grainy, green-filtered night vision provided by her ANBU mask fell suddenly dark as the roiling clouds engulfed her. Moments later the curtain of shadow pulled away, replaced only by a confusing torrent of undecipherable shapes. Hong Feiyan struggled from her hanging position to turn her mask off, and as soon as she did so an entirely otherworldly vista sprawled out before her. Lit by what could only be described as luminescent clouds both above and below. A seemingly vast and endlessly shifting cyclone churned in every direction. Hong Feiyan could see no land beneath her feet- and she didn't want to look upwards at the animal she was hitching a ride with just yet, either.

Unsure if communication units could transmit signals through portals and time and space, Hong Feiyan decided to shout through the rapidly closing gateway behind her instead.
              "IT'S BLOODY WEIRD ON THIS SIDE, BE CAREFUL!"
              Last edited by Junge; 09-06-2020, 01:01 AM.

Comment

They shouldn’t be here.

Yuu’s stomach was churning with a newfound anxious intensity, a feeling between irritable bowels and absolute dread, as he hovered in the air with each flap of Akikaze’s powerful wings. The eagle, typically the strong and silent type, held a different silence this time. One of awe and irritation and perhaps a bit of fear. The landscape was alien yet altogether familiar to the young Hyuuga, and he could tell immediately where they were without having ever heard a single tale of this place before - -

“The home of the vulture clan.”

The wind around them seemed to be terribly fast and terribly slow all at the same time, and it was with a start that Yuu noticed the Eagle that was carrying him was in fact perched next to him, seemingly standing on nothing at all. His face looked - - well, reading the emotion on an eagle was a difficult task, but - - perplexed.

“We shouldn’t have been able to follow,” He finally offered. Yuu looked down and felt sick - - and endless expanse of clouds circled like impossible walls all around him, but the ground and earth seemed too far away to even make sense. What he knew about vultures, from Hana-san, was that they specialized in genjutsu more than anything else. They could already be in the grasps of one.

Yuu fingered his earpiece gingerly, almost expecting it not to work - - only to be graced with the spitting roar of his fearless leader’s proclamations. “Whatever ninjutsu that vulture was using...”

The genin sniffed. “I’ve never seen anything like it. I guess it’s some vulture magic, some hasty portal home.”

“Or a trap,” Akikaze offered.

“Or a trap,” Yuu confirmed into the radio.

His Byakugan couldn’t see much, the swirling intensity of something like chakra filled the clouds like sick, poisoned veins. He couldn’t locate the ANBU, but she was at least still in radio range. Humans were, typically, forbidden in the lands of the shinobi creatures. He could assume that if the rogue vulture truly was rogue, maybe he had to use a different technique to venture here...and maybe his goal was to attract the attention of the rest of the vulture clan at large.

He took a hesitant step forward - - it didn’t feel much like walking on the ground or walking on water, but it at least felt somewhat natural. He took in a deep breath and took an other step forward. It was surreal, like walking through a dream.

“Yuu,” Akikaze said, breaking through the moment. “I shouldn’t be here. It’s against the bylaws - -”

“I know,” Yuu said. “I didn’t mean to bring you here.”

“- - but I can’t return home.”

Oh..”

Yuu shifted as awkwardly as he could, floating on nothing. “I guess we should find a way out of here before we get the attention of the Vulture Clan, then.”

The eagle stared him down.

“Er, okay, how about this, then - - “

Yuu took off his outer robe and dressed the eagle around in it, obscuring his form, and tied it to his back like a package. The beak of the bird stuck out the wrapping and rested on Yuu’s shoulder. “We should be swift, Yuu-san.”

“If we can find that vulture that drug us in here, then we should be fine. Hong?” He pressed his finger into his earpiece again. “All I see is air and clouds.”

(swaps [AP] items)
                (threads)

Comment

Some furious blinking and patting down of her body confirmed Hong Feiyan's initial suspicions as the gargantuan vulture continued its circling ascent. Since no projectiles stuck out of her at odd angles, the earlier attack must have been nothing but a trick. The bizarre world that now spun around her might also be some form of illusion. Well, no sense worrying about it now!

Still dangling from the summon like a piece of forgotten lint Hong Feiyan strained to activate the retracting mechanism in her claws, but the internal gears of her patented Kuma Klaw whirred and clattered helplessly, unable to return the wire leash between her and the vulture. Her weapon wasn't exactly designed to withstand the force of a monster.

“We're on the same page then, Investigator Hyuuga!A palpable relief could be heard in her voice, now knowing that both the radio worked and that her spotter had followed her through. “With your Byakugan I'm sure you'll spot us in no time- GAAGH!”

Hong Feiyan's body snapped around without warning as the vulture's legs began to kick and tremble. The metal wire that bound the chuunin held strong but didn't cut into the beast's scaly talons enough to hurt it. It seemed more like the shinobi was just an itch that couldn't be scratched.

”]̱̰᷃̐̽̃͡,̶̛᷄̈͛̑̚/̤͙͍̎ͫ̑᷆ .̣͔̇̃ͥͦͅ,̧̘̻͛᷁᷃ͅ/̫᷂ͮ᷁᷅ͣ̋;͇;̺᷄̈;͚ẗ̰̤᷇̅;̨̛͉ͥ .̫͌.̱᷀᷀᷄́̕͜,̷̙ͦ̔̌͟͞,̧̮͓̃ͬ̉ͅ{̫͏̔͏̊̽͞]ͯ͑ͯ[̨̹ͭ)̷̼̗ The rushing wind carried the distorted and twisted mix of indecipherable language from the beak of the gliding vulture as soon as it glanced down at the unwelcome passenger. ”Shinobi! How dare you encroach-”

YEAH!” Hong Feiyan barked back into her radio. “I've got the fugitive with me, just catch up and we'll haul him in together!”

{͇͙̹͆̅͝͡{̟.̧̣̠̹͑̎̀.͏̷̻ͬ̎̚͜~͍̬᷂̳̠̔͐ |̫̓̇̎]͌͏̳̲̚͟͟}̞͕`̴̷̯᷾́̊᷆.ͤ.,̨͚̻͈̫ͤ͜`̧,᷁|̸̸͙̩̜̫̏\̸̢͓̣ͣ̅̓` ̎͂̒̚͘/̫͏̯͖̩͊᷁,̼̟͈͆̅̐͞"The black-feathered vulture's beak clenched and its body dove hard to the right, straight towards one of the bigger twisting masses of clouds. Hong Feiyan might not have magic eyeballs but it didn't take a bloodline to tell that whirlwind howled so fast it might just pull the teeth right out of her mouth.

Oh, boy. That looks fun.” Slipping a kunai out from one of her vest pocket's the chuunin quickly sliced a shallow cut across her forearm. Then, after a moment of thought, she went back and dug in deeper, really making sure the blood was flowing. The spilled blood was quickly picked up by the whistling wind and disappeared out of sight. “I'm leaving you a trail, you better move quick or, uh, I might lose track of our quarry!”
                  Last edited by Junge; 09-08-2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

“You okay back there?” Yuu had taken to the movement in this realm after some stumbling steps, thrusting his way through the air jumping from the pockets of the nearly solid pockets of clouds. It was like walking on air and jumping on a trampoline, but with some practice, it didn’t feel much different from leaping from the forests around Konoha.

As long as you didn’t look down and take in the sickening realization that you weer miles in the air. Whatever made up this realm made it feel like it was seperated from the rest of reality. The rules that made up the animal ninjutsu weren’t exactly codified for humans to understand.

“The quicker we catch up with your partner,” The bird bundled across his shoulder squawked out, “The quicker we can be done of this place.”

Something in his voice betrayed a bit of fear - - was it fear of heights, vultures, or broken contracts? - - so Yuu gave a determined nod and continued after the traces of the chuunin’s blood, spiraling out in the air. Judging roughly by the wind and the arc of the blood, Yuu was able to make headway until he saw the twisting tornado from across the crest of yellowed clouds - - like coming across a hill and seeing an oasis, only pretty much the opposite of that.

A soft tsk as he realized his Byakugan couldn’t penetrate the tornado, but there were other techniques at his disposal - - a few handseals later and he traced onto the chakra from Hong Feiyan’s blood and felt a pull towards a certain position in the twister. One more bound, then - - as he caught himself in the torrent of air all the same in a heroic leap to free the chuunin.

The wind, however, was stronger than he had anticipated - - fights with Sunagakure shinobi’s low level air techniques had really thrown off his eye for these type of things. The wind ripped the bundle of Akikaze away from his back and immediately sent him spiraling through the air, wind sharp and cutting at his skin like it was a blender of grit. He let out a confused shout and covered his face with his crossed arms, trusting the pull of his hunter-nin technique to direct him to the ANBU.

Jutsu Used: Chakra Hunting Technique, Stage 3. Global Ninjutsu.

(swaps [AP] items)
                    (threads)

Comment

Even as impending, whirly doom drew ever nearer, the illustrious Hong Feiyan kept her cool. “Listen here, beast!” It took quite a bit of lung capacity to scream loud enough to be heard and the wind already seemed to be taking away what little breath could be mustered. “You are making an enemy of the future Fire Country Daimyo (and/or future Hokage or usurper Hokage, depending on how things pan out)! It is in your best interest to negotiate!”

The summon kept it's crescent shaped head pointed straight for the tornado, but did speak in its raspy tone to acknowledge the shinobi. ”Negotiations require both parties to have leverage. You have nothing I want, cadaver.

Hong Feiyan's eyes squinted against the swirling backdrop of clouds, but couldn't make out anyone or anything giving chase. Would her teammate show up in time? The vulture moved at such a rapid pace even the Hyuuga might not be able to catch up to it. “I offer you safety, if you turn yourself in for your crimes. KUMA ANBU Agent HONG FEIYAN promises that!”

”And if I refuse?”

“Uh, you know.” The roar of the approaching dirge almost completely overwhelmed the chuunin's voice. “We'll beat you up until you accept. That's how shinobi work, bud! If you drag me into that twister, you'll definitely be sorry!”

”Don't be ridiculous, cadaver.” The rogue summon's wings tilted and the two veered sideways, approaching the storm at a tangent. The cyclone was literally within spitting distance now. ”I won't be going into that deathtrap. I'd be torn to shreds.”

A momentary sprinkle of relief fluttered across Hong Feiyan's face.

”You're going in alone.”

The chuunin couldn't even get out a 'come again' before the vulture's powerful talon thrashed outward, snapping her sideways and throwing her body straight into the black headwinds. Like a fish caught on a line she disappeared into the vision obscuring clouds, the power of the wind more than enough to pull her wire leash taut before snapping it like a soggy spaghetti noodle. It wouldn't take long at all for the gale to peel the shinobi apart like a child blowing a ladybug off a leaf. It was almost like the summon had practiced this maneuver before.
                      Last edited by Junge; 09-13-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

The closer one got to the twister, Yuu had found, the more the reality of the razor sharp winds set in. It was beyond what seemed reasonable for wind to produce - - cutting away with all the graceful elegance of an out of control combine harvester. His time spent getting used to the environment lent him to some control over his mad trajectory, but all bets were off as he tried to tangle with the wild air currents. As Akikaze had been torn away, he had felt the bird’s talons shoving him in a certain direction, knocking him parallel to the worst of the tornado. Trust a bird when it came to these sorts of things, right?

As his nose locked onto Feiyan’s traces through the hunter technique, two things happened in very quick succession:

Yuu collided with the young girl’s tall frame and looped his arm around her own like an escort.

Akikaze’s ninja wire finally pulled taut and yanked Yuu backwards towards the bird, frantically trying to flutter in place against the wind with Yuu’s robes obscuring his form.

Yuu’s arm yanked into Hong Feiyan’s and he sent her spiraling wildly away from the twister, right back towards the vulture.

Konoha-style - -” Training under the Fist made him feel obligated, so you’ll have to forgive him: “Half Assed Flying Raijin Technique!

He could ask for forgiveness later, he thought, has he gripped the wire around his palm until it was tight enough to cut into his calloused hands, and let Akikaze pull him free from the tornado’s grip.

(swaps [AP] items)
                        (threads)

Comment

As if she spent every day being bailed out of certain demise by teammates, Hong Feiyan effortlessly met the Hyuuga halfway as he appeared from nowhere to snatch her from the jaws of death itself. The genin seemed to be on his own leash and as soon as the chuunin was in hand, the pendulum began to swing back. The moment presented a dire crossroad- if there was any time to retreat, now would certainly be it.

In those few precious seconds of contact, a voice abounding in unreasonable confidence cackled out from behind the bear-shaped ANBU mask. “Toss me at that oversized seagull!”

Then, as was becoming frighteningly common that day, Hong Feiyan took to the air once more.

Not far below her and framed by the realm's ever shifting cloud cover lay the black-swathed form of the giant vulture. It seemed just as oblivious to the rescue as Hong Feiyan had been, likely owing to the loud and distracting chaos of the nearby storm. A perfect target! One Klaw down but with one to spare, the chuunin whipped her arm forward and sent the hooked projectile whizzling straight at her target. A solid thunk reverberated delightfully through her arm as her weapon sunk into the feathered back of the rogue summon.

That pleasure, like all pleasures, was fleeting. The beast recognized what just occurred in an instant, only taking a moment to glare pure spiteful hate at the shinobi before flexing its wings and plunging into a straight down, breakneck dive. The wire snapped tight and Hong Feiyan was again on a wild ride.

Now the air blew straight up her face as the chuunin struggled to remove her mask so she could shout directly into the communication unit. “Investigator Hyuuga, stay close! I have a plan!” As soon as Hong Feiyan screamed it, another whiplash inducing lurch sent her careening downward even faster. Now the gears in her weapon, free of having to support her actually-very-reasonable-thank-you-very-much pounds worth of body weight, could properly return and reel her in towards the still diving vulture. It seemed crazy to continue this pursuit, but such was the destiny of a visionary like Hong Feiyan!
                          Last edited by Junge; 09-20-2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

“Good catch,” Yuu breathed as he felt the winds of the twister release the grasp on him, enough that he felt secure enough to float along on his own again. He unraveled the ninja wire from his hand, leaving a deep bruised cut in a ring fashion around his palm.

“They have a plan,” The eagle offered.

Yuu nodded as he winced, healing chakra illuminated around his hand as he gingerly stitched his wounds with his first-aid technique. “I have a plan myself.”

- - -

As Hong was shouting her command, Yuu was already approaching on the back of the cloaked Akikaze, stride on his back and hanging on for dear life. This trick might not have worked back in the world the shinobi were from, but everything seemed so much more floaty here. The eagle let lose with a flurry of projectiles, their trajectory mysterious as they came from hidden twists of his feathers between the robe. Yuu himself leapt off the back of the bird and sent himself on a more obvious track, directly into the vulture’s twisted beak.

The veins around his temples bulged and pulsed with pressure as his eyes took on a frightening seriousness, almost divine in their sudden power. He could see everything. While the Hyuuga clan’s hidden martial arts techniques didn’t specifically train him for combat against magical beasts, he was a rising master of the style that specifically attacked the most vital weak points of any sorcerer - - the chakra points that allowed ninjutsu and genjutsu in the first place.

Hyuuga Style - -

His fingers lashed and dashed out as he made a wild attempt to land his strikes on the bird. Normally, against a human opponent, you could use what you knew about their reaction patterns after careful study of under the gaze of the Byakugan. Against a bird, everything felt rough and off - - but he could see the tenketsu, the pores where chakra was secreted, and he could strike him.

First palm - - second palm - - four palms - -

He struck and struck and struck in a rapid flurry until the bird, with his decidedly inhuman neck, lashed out with a sudden peck, and cut Yuu across the face, sending him spiraling away into the clouds below. But the damage had been done - - several of his chakra points had been forcefully closed by the Hyuuga - - cutting off a number of his techniques.

(swaps [AP] items)
                            (threads)

Comment

Both the vulture and Hong Feiyan simultaneously let out bestial cries as the chuunin's fully reeled in weapon plonked her right onto the bird's feathered back. Now maskless the wind quickly blasted her bangs into an unruly mess, as if it wasn't difficult enough to see what was going on. She rose up on a pair of wobbling knees just long enough to watch the Hyuuga met her descent and collapse atop the vulture's head. She strained to join the fray but the speed of the dive pushed her back and slowed progress to a literal crawl. Taking in handfuls of greasy feathers she pulled herself across the back of the summon, nearly reaching her partner when-

When-!

A triumphant caw ripped into the wind and rushed past Hong Feiyan's ears as the Hyuuga was discarded like dust from one's shoulder. She watched him tumble off and was momentarily taken by the urge to go help him. But, no- she trusted him. He wouldn't jump like that into danger without being able to take care of himself. Rather, he had endangered himself because he trusted that Hong Feiyan would finish the job- which meant she needed to deliver ASAP!

“Hey! Friendo!” Staying just out of reach of the beast's beak but still screaming like a madlad, Hong Feiyan slammed a large cylindrical object down onto the feathers by the scruff of its neck. “Know what this is?”

Just because she was far away didn't stop the summon from trying. Not breaking from its dive it craned its head backwards in a way no human could match, loudly snapping its toothed beak shut near enough to Hong Feiyan she could hear it breathe. In doing so the vulture got a big long look at the thing now resting right on its body- its thin paper flapping wildly in the wind, but not so much that it couldn't see the familiar circular kanji drawn in red that adorned its surface.

“You wanna guess which family member I already summoned?”

A warbling scoff erupted from the gullet of the beast. ”A desperate bluff. You wouldn't dare-”

“You can't escape now, can you?” Teeth bared in an equal part menacing and maniacal grimace, Hong Feiyan snapped the scroll back towards her body. “My partner there messed you up good, right? Feel the chakra leaking out of your hollow bones? No shunshin can help you now, as long as you stay in this realm, we got your number. I sent a messenger your boss- former boss, right?- that we got the family's traitor. Once we collect your bounty-”

Her last word seemed enough to set the vulture off, and she felt the muscles beneath the skin she held onto suddenly tense and spring into action. The beast whipped into a full on downward spiral, nearly tossing Hong Feiyan off in the process. A familiar black smoke pumped out from between the gaps in the feathers of the beast- the same substance that engulfed the shinobi prior to her being brought into this realm.

As the swirling colors blurred together with the increasing speed of their descent Hong Feiyan's completely unbloodlined vision strained to pick out any specks that might be her partner. Would he make it in time?

Comment

Working...
                              X