Moonsong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonsong

Even a ball of anxiety and worry like Josuke did better at night. Night being relative, of course- Amegakure didn't have nights. Or rain. Every time he came to the surface Josuke remembered how much he loved the underground city, with its eternal lighting, year-round comfortable climate, and no giant firey ball of death in the sky. So while the darkness was terrifying in its own right (as everything on the surface was), he could at least take solace that the night's shadows kept him as hidden from enemies as they were to him.

It also meant he could stretch his dosages out longer since he wasn't quite as high-strung. So everybody won!

Gloved hands dug out the last few pills from a small bottle and popped them into a waiting mouth. The job would begin soon, supposedly. The commanding officer for this job seemed like a fair enough bloke. He'd even sold Josuke a Shichou Lifejacket! The bulky piece of clothing fit over his already suffocating coat and armor like a vice grip. Josuke could bear with a little discomfort for the added protection.

Tonight's rain was a slow, drippy mess. Josuke periodically wiped the lenses of his gas mask clean so he could retain vision of the refugee camp. Some kind of strange blight had hit the area, a virus or parasite or something that was causing those affected to foam at the mouth and act irrationally. Apparently there might have been some of those weirdo miko around as well. The higher-ups didn't want to draw more attention to this job than was needed. Josuke and his jounin commander were to wait for a contact to return from the camp before making their move. When did missions like this ever go wrong?

He downed a few more pills as his brain hurried to address that question with a hundred different horrible answers. In, and out. Easy. It would be easy. He told himself it would be easy. Otherwise they wouldn't have sent a screw-up like him to do it, right?

(Rain Chuunin) Oichi Josuke | (Sand Chuunin) Sawamatsu no Motonubu | (Leaf Chuunin) Hyuuga Kannon
    (Retired Grass Chuunin) Shinshi Gemmei | (Snow Genin) Gonnohyoe | (Mist Genin) Kurusu Ringo
    (Brigade of Light) Chosokabe Muneshige | (Leaf Chuunin) Hong Feiyan
    Shichou Clan GM - Shichou Mission Thread Here!
    Brigade of Light GM - Missions and More!
    I will do any thread, anywhere, anytime. Just PM me!
    Wizlab | Swaps | (AP) | RIP

There was an eerie silence in the air, met by the creeping of the old wooden structures in the darkness. Akisame focused his hearing to the sound of footsteps as they waited in the surrounding bushes, outside the wards of the town healer, for their correspondent to arrive. Two fold was their assignment: Investigate and provide relief to a small river village in the north that had been plagued by disease, as well as the delivery of medical supplies and antivirals which had been depleted during the outbreak. Conventional medicine had failed to suppress the symptoms or contain the cause of the spreading in the area, though it had managed to reduce the casualties to a single woman before aid was requested of the shinobi of Rain.

As the footsteps grew closer the jounin tugged on the straps of his two tog bags, filled to the brim they stood vertical on his back and resembled more of a backpack with two belts holding the sacks securely in shape. He had carried the load himself, not wanting to overburden his comrade who had purchased a thick life jacket from their clan store when they had initially met, and was still wearing it.

Last edited by vulpix13; 03-30-2019, 06:35 AM.
    "When I meditate I see the world as it should be, all that does not fit, i remove"

Comment

The haggard looking woman looked exhausted, her uniform in disarray. Likely she hadn't been able to rest for some time. At the jounin's appearance she didn't even seem to flinch! Maybe she was just as medicated as Josuke was.

She spoke in breathless spurts, detailing how bad things had gotten in just a few hours. Josuke picked up on the key parts well enough. Even the miko from the Hontou no Itami Shrine already left, and the Rain Militia was setting up quarantines at the major roads. It looked like the plan, insofar as everyone on the inside could tell, was to let the disease run its course.

Josuke channeled some chakra to renew his resistance technique, even though it hadn't been long enough for it to expire. As the two shinobi planned before leaving Amegakure, the chuunin's job was to deal with the small stuff. He tapped the Shichou on the shoulder to transfer the technique to him, but didn't move towards the nurse at all. She was a surface dweller and not worth wasting chakra on, after all.

Truth be told he didn't understand why Amegakure answered this settlement's call for aid in the first place. Who cared if some backwoods animals died from a rare affliction? Yet he followed dutifully as the woman led the way back to camp. Josuke placed absolute trust in his superiors. Any doubts he had would be silenced once the sedatives really hit his system.
      The woman whispered, pointing towards a distant tent with a dim red light glowing inside it.

(Rain Chuunin) Oichi Josuke | (Sand Chuunin) Sawamatsu no Motonubu | (Leaf Chuunin) Hyuuga Kannon
      (Retired Grass Chuunin) Shinshi Gemmei | (Snow Genin) Gonnohyoe | (Mist Genin) Kurusu Ringo

Comment

The jounin silently moved past the woman without pause, he entered the tent surveilling the scene before offloading his bags on a bedside table. he asked the woman, who confirmed his suspicions as she waited further instruction or questioning.

He then immediately removed the sheets from the bed, she asked patiently.

the jounin reaffirmed her as he began washing his hands in the bucket of water she carried, it was his first kind moment, though brief.
        But before he could continue the man began to shake, his symptoms returned. Akisame immediately lit him up again, revealing the light source at the stomach to have started spreading once more.

"When I meditate I see the world as it should be, all that does not fit, i remove"

Comment

Disgusting, disgusting, disgusting! The way the patient oozed and writhed just stank of death. At the jounin's call Josuke moved to the side of the suffering man. The chuunin dug through his own medical supplies and quickly produced a few vials of all purpose antidote. In moments the chemicals were being injected right into the arteries of the man. It seemed to stabilize the convulsions, but did little to stop the spreading light. Whatever curse infected the patient wasn't a virus, parasite, or poison that Josuke ever learned about. The scariest thing a medic could be faced with was the unknown.

It meant he'd have to improvise. So he did the usual, and jammed his hand right into the man's abdomen.

For the next half hour Josuke sweat and clenched his way though an exhaustive invasive search of the patient's dying body. As he ran his chakra-coated fingers through flesh he kept running into small, inorganic fragments of something, which he hurried to remove and lay on a nearby metal platter. By the end of the procedure the dish filled up to a mountain of jagged black sharps which almost looked like glass. Josuke, breathless, pulled his arm back. His gloved hand twitched and trembled with sore exhaustion.

He shook his head and turned his gas mask towards his commanding officer. Though his face was covered the young chuunin still gave off the impression of having given up. He leaned on the operating table for support, as the taxing effort of maintaining his scalpel's chakra drained a significant portion of his of his strength. The man's body still glowed, thought much less than before. He hadn't been cured, but perhaps he would live a bit longer yet.

Comment

Did they possibly need reinforcements? No.

the old woman hurried out of the tent without argument, before Akisame turned to his fellow shinobi. he motioned to the metal dish that contained the plagued shards. The unknown pile was foreign to the Shichou. He had seen many environmental disasters and pollutants and even caused some himself; but never had he seen a contagion of that variety.

By bursting chakra from all his pores; it caused his jacket, trousers and belts to seal up and become airtight at the joints and sleeves. Gloves formed around his hands, and his cuffs tightened. The hood at his back rose over his head and face, melding with his glasses to take the shape of a visor. It was the legendary hazmat technique that he had used in missions of biological warfare. He was about to further examine the crystalline fragments, when he was interrupted by their village aid,

With some assistance they painted a clear picture, by draw vectors and means, it lead to a possible location for the origin point of the virus. It seemed they were headed for the watermill at the north west edge of town.

Last edited by vulpix13; 04-01-2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Once again cold rain pelted the chuunin, though courtesy of the Shichou he now wore a few more layers. He and the jounin arrived at what looked to be the epicenter of some kind of waterborne disease. In the nighttime shadows the otherwise mundane looking mill looked downright demonic. A huge ribbed waterwheel rotated slowly in the babbling stream next to it. Large stone masonry piled up high to make the otherwise benign mill look like an imposing fortress. The woman told them that the mill was only used to make rice flour but once the owners got sick it'd been shuttered pretty quickly. Perhaps someone was poisoning the population? But the owners hadn't been the first to get sick! It just didn't make sense.

The heavy oaken doors did little to keep Josuke out. With a twitch of his tired hands and a tiny amount of chakra he unlocked the deadbolt and pushed open the door with a soft creak. The inside was far too dark for comfort.

His augmented vision lit up the insides of the mill in a sickly green color. Bags and barrels and crates of material stood scattered about. Far above could be heard the splatter of rain against the tin roof. The air felt stale- though the air always tasted stale in a gas mask.

Josuke attempted to avoid eye contact with the bodysuit wearing jounin, and cast his eyes downwards. At his feet he saw numerous dead rats. Some kind of black fluid seeped out of the orifices of their bloated bodies. Whatever was causing this epidemic certainly didn't discriminate.

Last edited by Junge; 06-13-2019, 11:09 PM.

Comment

he whispered to Josuke as they entered, trudging across rat corpses and sludge of the same unknown origin. The mill had two chambers: the storage area they were standing in, and ahead of them an ajar wooden door, which lead to the chamber housing the milling mechanism. The murmurs of life Akisame had heard came from the second area, but so too did a shadow of black smoke that lingered in the doorway before them.

Akisame held the whisper and positioned himself to watch their six, there was only one entrance and exit to the stone construct. He was an accomplished jounin himself, and expected the same of his partner in which he trusted. Thus he then signalled Josuke to move in, and he would follow alertly.

Comment

Regret set in as Josuke concluded he should have doubled his earlier dose. The black fog rolling out of the storehouse door did not look particularly welcoming. Even in a full body suit, and wearing another protective suit under that, Josuke wanted absolutely nothing to do with whatever was down there.

Yet he went down there anyway, because it was his job.

As he descended the stairs he noticed sticky, tarlike roots seemed to cover the walls and floor. As he rubbed it between his fingers he felt the substance emit a gross warmth. Holding his breath he attempted to renew his resistance technique but felt his muscles cramp as he tried to draw on exhausted chakra reserves. He would just have to hope for the best.

Like raindrops his footsteps splashed into a puddle of filth at the bottom of the staircase. There were no windows down there and the grinding roar of the water wheel rumbled like a giant's snores. Josuke's night vision was pretty bad at looking through smoke and here the air was even denser with the stuff. He bent down low and held his shaky arms in front of him to grope around. Why hadn't anyone noticed this bizarre stuff, if these settlers relied on the mill so heavily?

The question fell to the back of his mind as a low pitched, bestial growl shook the air behind him. Rats definitely didn't make that noise. With a panicked jump Josuke sloshed through the ankle-deep sludge and put his back up against the wall. He still couldn't see through the mysterious smoke. That noise didn't sound like a dog, or a cat, or a person. It sounded like...

Josuke didn't want to think about it. Though, now that his back was pressed against the stone wall, he felt something pounding through the mortar. It was rhythmic, pulsing in unison to the slapping noises of the water wheel. It was the mill's grindstone or something, right? It had to be.

Stones weren't supposed to have heartbeats.

Comment

the commands were clear and concise. Akisame had been a team leader in many settings, and it was almost instinctual for him to act as such.

The flickering chakra moved slowly, as if hindered by the needed to fight the disease itself along its pathway. It was not the intended usage of the technique, but would serve as valuable knowledge to share among his colleagues in the Medical and Environmental Studio when they returned.

Eventually the light took a turn into a slit in a small doorway, from their position it was hard to describe the picture, but Akisame had surmised that it was probably a small tool shed or storage cupboard that it had entered. he thought. Then as the illumination grew large, indicating that it had reached its destination, a loud blare was heard and the wooden doors flung open with a crash as a beast of some nature crashed to the ground.

Around them the smoke began to fade, and a scene neither had expected was revealed to them.

Comment

It would have never occurred to Josuke to use his medical techniques like the jounin had- to treat the building as if it were a patient itself! The black veins running along the walls shriveled and retreated back towards a lonely cupboard as the smoke settled. Josuke's dark, sunken eyes strained to see out from behind his mask. Instinctively his fingers reached out for an explosive note. Better safe than sorry. Better safe than...

The furniture gurgled, then vomited out its contents. Acidic black sludge lurched out from the depths and towards the two shinobi. The churning mass let out an unearthly cry that clattered even over the churning water wheel. The scream sounded like a person choking on a hundred different pieces of glass.

Akisame's glowing chakra swirled around the oily glob, but seemed incapable of piercing the thick substance. It did, however, illuminate what was inside the pulsating mass:

Was it beast or man? Alive or dead? Did it matter either way? Just looking at it filled the chuunin with so much dread and disgust he wanted it destroyed. His hands darted together into hand seals and tendrils of muck coil out from Josuke's wrists. The mud tentacles cut right through the gelatinous black
                      slime that covered the creature and instantly seemed to immobilize it. Now his jounin leader could finish it off, or maybe Josuke would just hurl the cursed thing into the river and drown it-

The night's darkness made it hard to see, but by the wisps of light from the lingering disease containment jutsu one could make out Josuke's mud tendrils change from brown to black. The boy felt his control of the technique slip as if something rotted chakra itself. Panicking he rushed to disengage the mucky appendages from his arms, but it was for naught. With a vicious snap his own technique turned against him and Josuke was hurled backwards, right into the brick retaining wall on the far end of the basement. He bounced off it like a toy and fell motionless face-first into the black goo below.

Another rattling cry shuddered out of the creature and the room began to fill with black smoke. As if the chuunin's technique had given it life again the virulent roots once again began to spread. The four blackened mud tentacles of Josuke's technique thrashed blindly about as well.

Comment

Comment

gopitter patter
                          Last edited by Junge; 06-14-2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Akisame was relieved to find that his comrade was uninjured, he could detect that the chakra within the life jacket the chuunin wore had faded away in its passive protective actions.

Comment

something. Maybe it was just cornered, alone, and afraid, looking to defend itself from a pair of-

Smack! Even with night vision goggles Josuke failed to notice as a dark structure suddenly shot out from beneath the pool of water below. He slammed into it with a grunt and bounced back onto his butt with a wet plop. It took a few moments for his brain to piece together what just happened. It was a wall. A mud wall. His

Comment

Working...
                              X